No announcement yet.

New life for the '30 Chevy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haha....yah tell me about what day it is LOL. Everything is great here. I hear you on the juggling....I know it well. Truck looks great! Stay well

Comment

• What a great time to go… backwards! LOL. To the back end of the truck that is! Cleaned off the tubes and removed the brake lines for the future air bags mounting and will reroute/reinstall the lines in due course. Utilizing the existing shock mounts is a bonus. Plans are to install a piece of C-channel across the top of the frame for a goose-neck hookup if ever needed/desired. (Why not?- it’s going to be a trailer puller!)

I got the new axles in the other day so I got some new bearings and seals. All that is in and the back cover is on waiting on fluid. (Which will see a new topic in the General topics forum.) Nice to have all that back together.

Lastly for this visit, I have a new radiator on the way which should be here this week. Will likely need a few mods that will come up in a future posting.

You guys and gals have a great week.

https://www.killbillet.com/forum/30s...the-30-chevyMy 1930 Chevy truck build link:

Comment

• I've been a bit absent a bit but staying fairly busy on the truck. Pretty much completed is the trans x-member made out of 1 ˝” x 1/8” heavy wall square tubing. I went a little creative on it looks wise but that’s half the fun for me. It’s a super simple removal.

Click image for larger version  Name:	xmem.JPG Views:	0 Size:	89.3 KB ID:	728016Click image for larger version  Name:	xmem1.JPG Views:	0 Size:	133.6 KB ID:	728017
        Click image for larger version  Name:	xmem4.JPG Views:	0 Size:	142.3 KB ID:	728020Click image for larger version  Name:	xmem3.JPG Views:	0 Size:	96.9 KB ID:	728019Click image for larger version  Name:	xmem2.JPG Views:	0 Size:	123.6 KB ID:	728018

I have not fully welded out the angle iron that will attach to the frame and support the x-member yet for a reason…. Even though I have a freebie V-6 with plans for a turbo, there is still a big part of me that continues to want/see/hear/smell a diesel engine in it- because it would totally fit the design look of the truck. with all that in consideration- the x-member stays temporary in place until the commitment time comes. And hey- what a great place to store it! LOL

More to come!
        Last edited by Old Stuff; 09-22-2020, 06:36 AM. Reason: Wording/Spelling correction
        https://www.killbillet.com/forum/30s...the-30-chevyMy 1930 Chevy truck build link:

Comment

• The rear suspension is moving along very nicely. I picked up from General Spring a set of ’'87-’'95 Jeep Wrangler springs that were an exact dimensional match to the original ones keeping the hangers in the original spot which, while not totally necessary, was just icing on the cake because I didn’t have to mess with the factory frame x-bracing. A note of thanks to my lifelong friend Mark (who drives a killer ’66 Chevy rat truck) who turned me on to those. He put that set of those leafs on the rear of a ’51 Jeep he built.

I got the frame leveled out and thought about the hanger position attachment to the frame in order to get the final slope I wanted for the bed. The bonus is that I will have some flexibility in ride height because I’ll be installing helper/overload air bags on top of the leafs but shouldn'’t need any more than the constant minimum air pressure for empty-to-lite loads.

The original spring and shackle hangers were whopped out because they were straight metal to metal- no bushings. Two of them had been replaced over the years so I unbolted those and then cut the factory rivets off the other two. Next was to fabricate a new set of hangers for the front spring eyes to attach to. Tack it in, look twice, welder up. I then attached the springs to get proper placement for the shackle hangers on the back.

Click image for larger version  Name:	S-2 front.JPG Views:	0 Size:	132.7 KB ID:	728057Click image for larger version  Name:	S-3 front.JPG Views:	0 Size:	106.7 KB ID:	728056Click image for larger version  Name:	S-4 front final.JPG Views:	0 Size:	138.5 KB ID:	728053

When making the back shackle hangers it was just too simple and affordable not to adapt a factory part in with it. Enter once again the ’87-’95 Jeep Wrangler!

*Side story: The leaf spring shackle bushings for both front and rear of that year range Wrangler are the same. On the back side of the rear leafs, the shackle bushings mounted directly into the frame. On the front leaf the shackle bushings mounted into a bracket that attached to the frame. It was that bracket that I incorporated in the new rear mounts. In the 1st pic below it is the black part on the underside of the unpainted plate.

Click image for larger version  Name:	S-5 rear.JPG Views:	0 Size:	143.5 KB ID:	728052Click image for larger version  Name:	S-6 rear.JPG Views:	0 Size:	120.9 KB ID:	728051Click image for larger version  Name:	S-7 final.JPG Views:	0 Size:	141.3 KB ID:	728055

A little flap disk here and there, a bit of black paint, and boom- done. Very happy to have that complete. Next will come the rear bag mounts- with the flat bed frame not far off!

Click image for larger version  Name:	S-1 over view.JPG Views:	0 Size:	174.6 KB ID:	728054
          Last edited by Old Stuff; 09-26-2020, 05:39 AM.

Comment

• Looks great bro. I've been absent myself. Not due to lack of work.....just different work. Blowing out the side of my garage for some very badly needed extra space. Been on it for 2 weeks now and it's moving along very well. Another week or so and I'll be able to get back at the truck. Keep up the good work bro

Comment

• Originally posted by Couper View Post
              Looks great bro. I've been absent myself. Not due to lack of work.....just different work. Blowing out the side of my garage for some very badly needed extra space. Been on it for 2 weeks now and it's moving along very well. Another week or so and I'll be able to get back at the truck. Keep up the good work bro
              Thanks much Couper. I surely get the "mixed bag" of carpenter work because I do that for a living. It's cool that you can and are taking the time to expand. Give you a bit more room for hot rod goodies??? LOL

All the best to you and yours!

Comment

• Truck is looking good! Getting close to that motor commitment time?

Couper, I understand wanting more space for the truck build. They sure take up a lot more space when they are in pieces. I'm running out of places to stack stuff. Gene

Comment

• Originally posted by Gene View Post
                  Truck is looking good! Getting close to that motor commitment time?

Couper, I understand wanting more space for the truck build. They sure take up a lot more space when they are in pieces. I'm running out of places to stack stuff. Gene
                  Thank ya Gene. I sure am enjoying working on it. I think you could call me"loosely committed" at this point on the turbo'd v-6. I do have some motor mounts coming my way that I've already started making brackets for. It's worth the effort having the motor/trans sitting in the frame because I'm totally out of space in my covered area. But... I think mentally I'm stalling for time on the full blown commitment in the form of continued work that would be considered "neutral" to engine selection.

Hey- even if I get the V-6 totally rebuilt and ready to stuff in, and a diesel engine landed at my front door- I'd likely save the V-6 for the next project! Playing it all by ear!

Comment

• Well it's sneaking up on a month since I've worked on the truck- which hasn't happened since I started the build. Making me nuts. Been doing grocery money work (which is good of course) and misc other ignored/needed things around the house. I must say that is has been a bummer walking past it every day yet not spending time on it. I'm just glad to see it from the eating area (through the window) every day so it's not out-of-sight-out-of-mind...

Best to all and get to working on those hot rods!

Comment

Working...
                    X