No announcement yet.

New life for the '30 Chevy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fixing your own stuff is going to be very important and valuable skill, now and in the future.
    keep 'em on it! 😁
    My build thread:
    https://www.killbillet.com/forum/20s...at-is-it/page7

Comment

Saddled up the 'ol '58 and drove about 360 miles round trip to a life long friends house for a great visit and to pick up a motor and trans (NV3500 and roller cam V-6) along with several other small goodies. (His daily driver is a killer '66 Chevy rat with turbo'd straight 6, duals and small flatbed.)

To me the ultimate motor for the '30 would be a small 3.3 diesel. It just totally fits the design on this truck. Though not giving up on that desire, I'm taking the "bird in the hand" mindset and moving forward at this point with the V-6. (You can tell I like to be different right? Ha.) When it comes to time, waiting is not typically a strong suit so in this instance I'll just keep on truck'in ahead. Adventurer at work here! LOL.

https://www.killbillet.com/forum/30s...the-30-chevyMy 1930 Chevy truck build link:

Comment

Old Stuff, I have a 3.9 V6 with an AX15 5 speed, with a 3:55 gear limited slip rear end in my 48 Plymouth. It gets 17 mpg around town and around 22 on the highway, and will run on the interstates at 80 mph, but likes cruising at 65-70 a lot better. The 5 speed makes the V6 fun to drive, not fast, but not a dog either. Its OK, my racing days have long passed. Gene

Comment

Those are some super numbers Gene. This one is a 4.3 and I'm running the same 3.55 with a posi so hopefully I'll get somewhat close to those numbers. My goal is for this to be able to hauls a car/truck down the road with no problem. I know of some guys that haul their off road vehicles with a V-6 with no issues so I guess we'll see. I figure I can add a small factory V-6 super charger if pulling becomes somewhat an issue. (or simply want to add it because it would be cool- especially when those kind of adds these days are typically turbos.)

The main thing I'm looking for is simple useful functionality with this one. No big cam or load exhaust. A solid ride that I can pick up a project a couple states away and bring it home without worry. I also want to put the kind of miles on it that you put on your car. ...And eventually make it to the rat show in Vegas one day! LOL!

https://www.killbillet.com/forum/30s...the-30-chevyMy 1930 Chevy truck build link:

Comment

For a while I had a 3.9 auto in a 4x4 Dakota. It wasn't nearly as much fun to drive as my coupe is, but it did a lot of hauling and towing. One time I borrowed a heavy trailer and picked up a 62 Chrysler 4 door with a 413. The poor little V6 auto in that Dakota 4x4 did the job, but it was the slowest, and the longest 30 mile trip I ever made. Not something I would consider again, but I sure couldn't complain about all the other stuff I expected that truck to do. A light weight off road vehicle on a standard open car trailer wouldn't have been a problem.

I think that 4.3 will do well in your truck. Like my couple, I suspect the poor aerodynamics will kill the highway mileage and will probably make it feel like your pushing it at 75-80 mph. Gene

Comment

My 3.9 has over 260k on it and she's tired. My Dakota is over 1000 pounds overweight. She looks great but is a dog. If I tow my tag along it's really hell on the hills!

Comment

You guys are convincing me to put a super charger on it already. .................... I'll tell my wife, "Gene and Couper talked me in to it". Thanks boys! LMAO!

Comment

YES!!! A Supercharger would give the old Chevy enough power to pull a trailer. It would be more useful then.

Is that good enough? LOL! Gene

Comment

I had a 90 Dakota 4x4 with the 3.9 v6.... in my experience, it SUCKED. I dont think it was that tired, it's just not a performer, of course I had bigger tires, and was younger and wanted more go-fast.
                    I swapped a 318 magnum into it(that I built up)... then I was happy 😁
                    My fuel milage either stayed the same or was possibly better.
                    I had a 96 blazer with the 4.3, that is a much better engine imo. Probably get more go fast goodies for it too.
                    Sweet to have the std trans!
                    My build thread:
                    https://www.killbillet.com/forum/20s...at-is-it/page7

Comment

Originally posted by Couper View Post
                      My 3.9 has over 260k on it and she's tired. My Dakota is over 1000 pounds overweight. She looks great but is a dog. If I tow my tag along it's really hell on the hills!

No problem bro..... I'd be glad to talk some sense into the wife. You can count on me! LOL But honey.....it was on 50.00 :)

Comment

It’s been a while for any pics but I’ve been fairly steady with the build. Gotta start somewhere so here goes…

Had the grandkids remove bolts and laid the cab back to weld out the bottom side framing. Timing wasn’t critical on this but they wanted to help do something so there you have it. And my gosh- seeing this made me think of a “coach” theme build on another rat! LOL

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_140255.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	204.0 KB
ID:	727379

Last edited by Old Stuff; 07-09-2020, 06:26 AM.

Comment

Some time back I boxed the middle portion of the frame where the original frame repair was done. With the cab laid back I finished boxing in the front portion, which included removing the original engine cross-member/radiator support. That was followed by fabbing up a new radiator support which I still have to fully weld out and then drill holes for the radiator to bolt up to. It's 1 1/2" heavy wall tubing and though it may look a bit small, it is the matching width of the lower frame portion of the radiator shell that will sit down on it. (***BONUS feature- A blooper pic of the first run at the radiator x-member. Sometimes I wonder about myself.... LOL!)

Name:	IMG_7716.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	182.5 KB
ID:	727389Click image for larger version

Name:	Rad support blooper.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	727390

With the cab back up it was time to get ready for the motor/trans mock up. Got it pretty close to its resting spot, with plenty of room for an HEI to drop in (if I use it), and way plenty of room between the motor and radiator. (Advantage- V-6).
                          Side note: Even though I brushed on the Ospho rust killer/converter on the firewall (see left and right pic below) it really ended up really showing off the original blue paint which I really like. Though the rest of the truck will likely end up staying black, that firewall will stay as-is and has already received a nice coat of clear! Speaking of the firewall and that recessed area, doesn't that look like a cool spot for a turbo? We'll see how that floats out...

Name:	Frame boxed, rad support, motor temp.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	727392Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7712.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	727391Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7710.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	727395

Another cool thing is that with the truck sitting high as it is, not only do I have a solid 12" from the top of the intake to the hood. I've got the same amount of ground clearance underneath which fits this ride for sure. The icing on the cake is that I get away with no trans tunnel saving lots of precious foot and leg room in this small cab. A very unexpected and appreciated bonus!

Name:	IMG_7715.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	727394Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7713.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	727393

Time to fab some motor and trans mounts!

Comment

With 12" between the top of the intake and the hood, it sounds to me like a supercharger would fill that area very nicely.... You do have another 4.3 hanging around, you know, just in case something should go wrong with this one after the Supercharger install? Naw, 4.3 shouldn't be that hard to find, I think you will be OK.

You are a brave man posting up pictures of your bloopers, I try not to have pictures of my blooper hanging around, I sure don't need picture proof of all my screw ups. LOL! I have learned that the more time it takes, or the more money it costs, to fix my bloopers, the better I remember them. Unfortunately, until I clean out my shop, there are still a lot of physical reminders of "past moments of lack of attention" hanging around. Gene

Comment

LMAO! If there is laughter to be had I don't mind throwing myself under the bus occasionally. Gotta use that one Gene- "past moments of lack of attention". That is great! LOL!

Comment

Let’s talk windshield wiper setup…

I picked up a dual wiper motor/linkage/arms off ebay that came off an ’01 Jetta that I thought would have a good shot at working. (Cheap enough to take a chance on anyway.) With the arm attachment points both at odd angles, it required a fair amount of modification to get both arms parallel and adjusted “flat” to fit in the raised roof section above the windshield. Clamping down one side on a board for a reference point, I cut the rotating arm on the other side and put heat to the round tubes on both sides. After that I welded the rotating arm back up

With linkage in the right position, ‘twas time to remove the motor and slot the mounting holes so I could rotate the motor counter clockwise for clearance. No pic of that but I did it! LOL! Put some power to it and it all functioned jam-up and jelly-tight. (Been a while since you've heard that one eh?)

Name:	JW-1.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	199.6 KB
ID:	727479Click image for larger version

Name:	JW-2.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	727478Click image for larger version

Name:	JW-3.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	727482

Name:	JW-4.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	727480Click image for larger version

Name:	JW-5.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	185.2 KB
ID:	727483Click image for larger version

Name:	JW-6.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	727481

After getting all that done, while it did fit behind the console, it took up way more room i than I realized which would require me to totally rework the gauge layout. Time to step back and think…

The wiper saga continues....

Comment

Working...
                                X