No announcement yet.

New life for the '30 Chevy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After starting on one of their crazy endeavors Mo of the Three Stooges , hand on chin said, "You know that was my idea, but now I don't think so much of it." One of my top three sayings ever.... for a reason. LOL So it was when starting on my overhead console.

I was going to build a 2 piece console- hinged and pivoting on each end that would make for the ultimate ease of working on the gauges. Laid out the lines on the sheet. Wait- I'll do it out of one piece, folding the ends and flanging the back open portion for strength because that'd be cool. Built the driver's side piece and was pretty happy. Oops....after the initial layout I moved the lines over to cover the ends for folding- but only enough to cover one end. (Genius) Oh well, I'll just add another 3 1/2". No worries. Drilled a few holes for toggle switches. Long story short I kept looking at it up there and it just didn't work out. No worries. Now it will be a regular solid framed console (which I started on) with plenty of room to access from underneath when needed. Simple is sometimes better. I get to laugh at myself once again.

I also started putting some Hush Mat (the super sticky sound dampening materials) on a few areas of the body panels. Lots of us have a favorite brand that one happens to be mine. Competitive price with zero smell. After that I began to add additional 3/4" square tubing on the cab frame to give me something to attach my interior panels to. Man-oh-man is that one cramped work space!
    Last edited by Old Stuff; 06-04-2020, 05:00 AM. Reason: Spelling correction
    https://www.killbillet.com/forum/30s...the-30-chevyMy 1930 Chevy truck build link:

Comment

Hey Bro, I was going to bond in my glass but now I'm thinking that I will ressurect the hinged glass. This means I'll have to fab up a new hinge housing / overhead console as well. It could be 2 fold,1) for the hinges and 2) to house some gauges ect as well. Post some pictures when you have em.

Comment

Originally posted by Couper View Post
        Hey Bro, I was going to bond in my glass but now I'm thinking that I will ressurect the hinged glass. This means I'll have to fab up a new hinge housing / overhead console as well. It could be 2 fold,1) for the hinges and 2) to house some gauges ect as well. Post some pictures when you have em.
        Hope to get some updates/picks done later today!
        https://www.killbillet.com/forum/30s...the-30-chevyMy 1930 Chevy truck build link:

Comment

Looks like somebody needs to find a new cable for their phone to transfer pics. Yet another part of technology that is a love/hate relationship...

Late yesterday I got to do some more sitting in the cab and walking around the truck making a more detailed list of things to do- what effects this or that before the other can be done, etc. I have come to the distinct conclusion that I'm ready to be fully retired from having to make grocery money (can that be done? Is that possible??? LOL)

Still enjoying this build to the extreme. A happy and meaningful Easter to all.

Comment

Glad your having fun old stuff...... I am as well. I'm working from home and getting a little extra time in the garage. I'm working on chopping the passenger side door / window frame. Man it's been a tough go but getting there. I'll elaborate on my thread. Happy Easter

Comment

On Couper’s build thread for his '40 he was talking about trial and error, and basically lots of thinking through the process. That made me smile because my attention has gone fully on the overhead console and I've spent lots of time just sitting in the cab looking and thinking about design and the gauge and goodies layout.

My cardboard mock up panel has continued to morph with cutouts. Gauges, toggle switches, and indicator light paper representation pieces (all with blue tape on the back) have been moved around numerous times trying to find out what looks just right to me. Still have over 1/3 open space but this is what I’ve come up with so far…

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7530.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	726622

I've also figured out initial pathways for wiring (and water temp probe, etc.) from the console down to the lower dash. This I knew up front would be a challenge because the stock body had zero ways to get there. Following the theme/design of my truck I think the pathways work. The 4 small bronze colored pipes are home interior pendant light fixture extensions and the larger pipe is a piece of shower curtain rod that was the perfect dimension- all of which were throw away job materials I just knew I could use one day! ...

Name:	electrical pathway.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	726624

The left side bottom portion of the console (approximately 5”) will be fixed in place with the remainder of the bottom panel removable for access to the gauges. The right side pic below shows the space I have to work with. Got plenty of room in which to work but until I have the windshield wiper setup figured out I'm not cutting any instrument/switch holes...

Name:	upper panel.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	726627Click image for larger version

Name:	upper.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	726626

The box that connects the pipes to the lower dash is from a piece of sheet metal that the original seat was mounted on. I made a one piece paper template, cut it out and did some bending. The metal cover for the box came from the lower portion of the back wall that I cut out and replaced. I hit it with the flap disk to take the surface rust off before throwing some clear coat on it and found the original paint ...

Name:	IMG_7541.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	726628Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7525.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	726629Click image for larger version

Name:	box.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	726625
              Attached Files

Comment

Hey Bro, The overhead looks great. Mine is made to house the wiper motors (which I will for-go) and the hinges for the windshield. I have the rotted unit I cut out and can rebuild it. I will want to put some gaugwes in mine as well. take care and be careful.....don't cut yourself and have to go to hospital, that's not a place you want to be these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Couper View Post
                  Hey Bro, The overhead looks great. Mine is made to house the wiper motors (which I will for-go) and the hinges for the windshield. I have the rotted unit I cut out and can rebuild it. I will want to put some gaugwes in mine as well. take care and be careful.....don't cut yourself and have to go to hospital, that's not a place you want to be these days.
                  Yeah that would take away time from working on the truck! LOL!

Got started on the installation of retractable shoulder/seat belts. Picked them up from Summit. I have the retractable and stationary points of the 3-point fabbed and fully welded in. The upper shoulder part I had so much fun with that I took them off and redid them. (Insert emoji of sarcasm and shame, then a big laugh!) Will finish off the receiver part that slips though the seat later this week. I will say that I like the idea of having those even though not required. I used to be of the "I don't want be made to do that" school but over time had a change of thinking. I will be putting them in my '58 in the near future. For me it's too simple (and very affordable) of an add to not have them...
                  Last edited by Old Stuff; 06-04-2020, 05:03 AM. Reason: Spelling correction

Comment

I do seat and shoulder belts on everything I've built in the last 15 years. Back around 2000, when I built my 50 Dodge 4x4, I installed only lap belts (wife would ride along without them). That truck had a very large windshield area, and the more I drove it, the less comfortable I grew with just the lap belt. In my estimation, in a crash, that lap belt would fold me right into the middle of that big piece of glass. After a couple years of driving that big Dodge truck, I started putting the lap and shoulder belts into everything.

The day that 50 Dodge 4x4 got wrecked, I wasn't wearing the lap belt. I was going through town when some lady turned left 20 feet in front of me. I hit her head on at 30 mph. My head hit the inside sunviser above the windshield and I got 11 stitches in my forehead and a sprained thumb on my right hand that had a firm grip on the steering wheel. Her car had air bags that saved her life. The impact stopped that 4850 lbs truck instantly, and pushed her car backwards nearly 20 feet. I think we were probably both lucky that day. I have pictures of the truck before the wreck, but not after, I lost those pictures in a computer crash. To the top of the roof was over 8' high. You can see the comparison to the 66 Chrysler New Port parked behind the truck in this 2nd picture. The 2nd picture was probably taken about a month before it got totaled.

Yep, seat belts with shoulder harness in everything I build here. Gene

Comment

I will be following your lead on this one guys. I do not ever wear a seat belt in my daily..... only as a passenger in my wife's truck cause that dam bell won't stop. But I will wear both in the 40..... lots of metal to cut you up. Good looking out fella's.. Nice 50 Gene!

Comment

Couper, While your doing the chop on your cab, it is a great time to put the shoulder belt anchor into the rear roof pillar. I'll get out tomorrow and take a few pictures of how I did my 39 (same cab), if I remember....
                        My coupe will be road ready tomorrow! Gene

Comment

Good thinking Gene. Yeah!.... get that baby rolling! Congrats!

Comment

A few days ago I finished up all the shoulder/seat belt mounting points. Scratch that off the list. (Will post some pics next time I jump on.)

Picked up some metal yesterday to box the front half of the frame rails so that's coming up soon. (Partial scratch off the list. LOL)

Today I finished adding some metal inside the cab that will be used to screw my interior panels to. They are actually going to be stained wood bead-board or wainscot some folks call it. Not for most folks but we saw a room wall with it on a TV show and myself and the wife both thought it would be perfect for the theme of the truck. I'm ruling that as a double scratch item!

Last edited by Old Stuff; 06-04-2020, 05:05 AM. Reason: wording clarification

Comment

A great Memorial Day long weekend for a number of reasons. Kids and grand kids were here for a huge time. Lots of games and plenty of talking and laughing.

One of the tops for me was that both grand sons (7 and 5) wanted to work on the truck with grandpa. Needing to finish boxing in the front half of the frame, I used that opportunity to let them unbolt the cab from the frame all on their own. (After breaking them loose a tad- ha.) Only 4 for each boy but they did have to work for it- climbing under the cab and working around the floor framing while removing the hardware. Introduced them to closed and box end wrenches, they went to town on the bolts, and seemed to have a great time! Then they got to watch me and my 2 boys lay it back on the frame. Hope they keep coming back for more. That alone was worth it's weight in gold. Hopefully they continue to like working on the old hot rod and, in turn, want to build one themselves one day...

Comment

Fixing your own stuff is going to be very important and valuable skill, now and in the future.
                                keep 'em on it! 😁
                                My build thread:
                                https://www.killbillet.com/forum/20s...at-is-it/page7

Comment

Working...
                                X