No announcement yet.

New life for the '30 Chevy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally moving forward on finishing up the floor framing. Blending the kick-up portion with the firewall. Passenger side basically done which is leading me to figuring out how I want to do my kick panels.

When the framing is finished I'll lay the cab on its back and skin the bottom side of the floor with some sheet metal.

While I'm at it, does anyone have possible/potential reasons that using the original steering box might be sketchy? (As I've mentioned before the plan is for this to be my trailer puller....) Worm gears look good and are pretty tight with hardly any slack in the wheel when hooked up. All steering linkage parts will be updated.
    https://www.killbillet.com/forum/30s...the-30-chevyMy 1930 Chevy truck build link:

Comment

• Cool beans bro....glad your making progress. I really can't say on the steering box other than if she runs super smoothly from one side to the other with no binding or bumps you should be ok.

I'm making some progress as well. Did you se my motor?

Comment

• Originally posted by Couper View Post
        Cool beans bro....glad your making progress. I really can't say on the steering box other than if she runs super smoothly from one side to the other with no binding or bumps you should be ok.

I'm making some progress as well. Did you se my motor?
        Yes I saw that. Gonna look super bad a$$. Who doesn't like a legit Hemi?!!!
        https://www.killbillet.com/forum/30s...the-30-chevyMy 1930 Chevy truck build link:

Comment

• Thanks bro!

Comment

• If had the steering gear apart and inspected, and it hadn't sat full of water for decade, probably fine.
            As long as it's meticulously smooth in operation.
            then fill er up with full synthetic gear oil.
            But, are you concerned with not having power steering as a tow rig?
            My build thread:
            https://www.killbillet.com/forum/20s...at-is-it/page7

Comment

• Originally posted by Burnin#2 View Post
              If had the steering gear apart and inspected, and it hadn't sat full of water for decade, probably fine.
              As long as it's meticulously smooth in operation.
              then fill er up with full synthetic gear oil.
              But, are you concerned with not having power steering as a tow rig?
              A buddy of mine mentioned an early Corvette power assist set up. Will be investigating that and other options but with the size and weight of the truck and front tires (along with the trailer puller part) I definitely want power steering.

Bottom line is that I'm not scared to put in a different box if I have to. Cave man days for me are a thing of the past LOL.

Comment

• hear you on the power steering bro.... I have 2 bad azz shoulders.

Comment

• You could go the route I did, find whatever manual box works for you, then add the power steering external hyd cylinder and valve into the linkage. Check out 70's Ford systems, also used on the early mustangs. Takes some figuring for the correct geometry, but opens up many possibilities. Click image for larger version

Name:	20170516_215757.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	3.27 MB
ID:	729968Click image for larger version

Name:	20170516_215734.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	2.98 MB
ID:	729969Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20211027-152255_Chrome.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	729970
                  My build thread:
                  https://www.killbillet.com/forum/20s...at-is-it/page7

Comment

• Originally posted by Burnin#2 View Post
                    You could go the route I did, find whatever manual box works for you, then add the power steering external hyd cylinder and valve into the linkage. Check out 70's Ford systems, also used on the early mustangs. Takes some figuring for the correct geometry, but opens up many possibilities.
                    I am soooooo late to the party......... Thanks for that- opens up some thinking for sure. Progress has been dormant for a spell but will be getting back on track extremely shortly. Distractions of life LOL.

Comment

• Will miracles never cease??? LOL. I've actually started doing something again to the poor 'ol neglected truck! HA! Laid the cab back and pretty quick here will finish welding out the framing and then skin it.
                      Onward! -through the fog! LMAO.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8821.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	730036
                      Last edited by Old Stuff; 11-17-2021, 09:01 AM.

Comment

• Ya, but your cheating! You are suppose to lay on your back, and have all those welding sparks fall on top of you! LOL!
                        Must be that old age thing.

Its good to see you back at it again! Can we expect to see daily updates?

I'm still plugging away at my 49, but things have slowed down with the winter approaching. I am driving it, putting between 100 and 150 miles a week on it, so until I can get the coupe back out next spring, I really can't do anything that would take the 49 out of service. Gene

Comment

• Yeah, welding upside down has lost its appeal over the last handful of years LMAO!

It's good to be back. From time to time i have felt lame for not being around more but it's some of that "life happens" stuff. Ha.I do hope to be on a more regular basis because not working on the truck has been driving me nuts in the background. Had a big group of folks from our church come over Monday night (our life group actually) to just hang out around a nice camp fire, consume some good snacks, drink some adult beverages, and shoot the bull. Just before they left I recruited a few guys to help me lay over the cab which was a bit too heavy for me and my youngest son to do on our own.

Welded out the remaining connections last night and hope to start skinning it today. Got to make up for lost time!!! Winter here is not as harsh as some of you guys have it but with no closed in shop it gets too cold to enthusiastically work here- especially if the wind is blowing. Disclaimer- this being Texas it may not get too bad until January LOL.

Been wondering how things have been going for you. Good to hear you're getting some miles on it which is never a bad thing.

Comment

• Pics to follow tomorrow but the cab floor is skinned and painted. That includes the "kick up" (foot rest portion) on the passenger side. Drivers side kick up is on hold until I make a decision on what steering box I'll be using. Was doing a bit of bench racing (building... LOL) with my buddy and ended up thinking a "new" power steering box would be the KISS method solution: truck not real heavy but not real light, big front tires, parking spaces, driving a trailer around, backing, etc. Will do some research on best options for a box to mount on the inside the frame but going through the frame for connection pitman arm.

Comment

• Itís been hard to get back on track but here we are and here we goÖ.

With one small exception the bottom of the cab is skinned! (bells and whistles!!!). You will notice the ďkick upĒ area of the floor on the driverís side with no metal on it. The steering column location in that square opening remain unknown until I get the gear box figured out so Iíll fill in that space at the appropriate time. And hey!- what better to paint it than with a healthy coat of what I'íve had around forever- gloss black Rustoleum from a one pint can! LOL

Click image for larger version  Name:	bottom skin 1.JPG Views:	0 Size:	80.4 KB ID:	730087

Before boxing in the frame I drilled some additional holes through the rails and welded nuts on the bottom side of all the cab mounting points. Additionally, 2 more holes through the floor framing at the back of the floor framing for attachment through the cross member. Notice, in the pic below, the lower cowl area with the red circle around itÖ...
                              This is where the foremost cab mount hole is. Because of how I am doing the flooring, this bolt will not be accessible from the cab area in the event (heaven forbid) that the cab ever has to come off again.
                              I cut out some removable triangle pieces for each side to cover those areas. These will get a bit of sealant on them at the proper time to keep air and grim out of the cab.

Click image for larger version  Name:	bottom skin 2.JPG Views:	0 Size:	113.3 KB ID:	730088Click image for larger version  Name:	Bottom skin 3.JPG Views:	0 Size:	109.4 KB ID:	730089

One of the things that is fun to me on this particular project is keeping the heart and soul of the truck with itís past. Whoever ran this truck was concerned solely with function and I have chosen to follow in those footsteps, helping give the look/theme that I'm going for. Numerous repairs and patches through years past were simply gas welded (or not LOL) with no thoughts whatsoever given to making it look new again as is typical today.
                              The driverís side bottom front corner of the cowl had some ugly so I cut that out and gas welded in a fresh piece.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Driver side cowl low.JPG Views:	0 Size:	119.1 KB ID:	730091Click image for larger version  Name:	Driver side cowl low 2.JPG Views:	0 Size:	104.0 KB ID:	730090

I must say this- having 95% of the skinning done is huge milestone for me because it opens so much more I can precede with at zero or minimal money out-go. And hey, itís one step closer. Super happy about that!
                              Last edited by Old Stuff; 12-03-2021, 05:07 AM.

Comment

• Ahh the space under the door... While the cab was still laying on it's back, T'was the right time to fill in the gap between the bottom of the cab and the bottom of the door. 2" flat bar to the rescue. Since the door has a curve to it, what a better way to match up that curve than with my knee LOL. I kept what I'm thinking will be proper room for door seals/weather strip- we'll see. Finished welding it out and threw some black Rustoleum on it! (*Pic rotated for a better look)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Passenger door low.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	730093

Comment

Working...
                                X