New life for the '30 Chevy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New springs are in!

The original springs had a 17” to center and a 19” to center dimension. Noting listed for a 1930 truck for that but….. 1939-1946 Chevy ½ ton has the very same dimensions. Keeping the same shackle design, the only difference is that Chevy decided to move the shackles to the front for that year range. No doubt they had their reason but I just couldn’t go there so I swapped the bushings, letting me keep the pivot point in the front.

Click image for larger version  Name:	FS1.JPG Views:	0 Size:	179.4 KB ID:	729397Click image for larger version  Name:	image_141242.jpg Views:	10 Size:	227.5 KB ID:	729322

The bolt size at the pivot point grew considerably on the 39-46 so after cutting rivets and removing the front mounts (that were real loose anyway), I put it in the press and drilled out the hole to accommodate bigger dimension. I welded the mounts back on- but couldn'’t resist throwing in some grade 5 bolts back in the rivet holes as well.

Click image for larger version  Name:	FS front mount.JPG Views:	0 Size:	111.5 KB ID:	729318 Click image for larger version  Name:	image_141240.jpg Views:	10 Size:	168.4 KB ID:	729320 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8524.JPG Views:	0 Size:	130.4 KB ID:	729401

The rear shackle mounts were both worn and one was broken so new mounts were in order…

Click image for larger version  Name:	FS rear shackle mount.JPG Views:	0 Size:	128.0 KB ID:	729319Click image for larger version  Name:	FS rear mount broken.JPG Views:	0 Size:	159.1 KB ID:	729321

Not having anything for a direct fit for the shackle bushings, I took a larger piece of pipe, cut out a slot, pulled it together and welded it up. A small strip of ¼” went between the frame and the pipe to give the shackle grommets clearance.

Click image for larger version  Name:	FS shackle bushing mount.JPG Views:	0 Size:	112.7 KB ID:	729398Click image for larger version  Name:	FS shackle bushing.JPG Views:	0 Size:	110.1 KB ID:	729399 Click image for larger version

Name:	FS   Rear view closeup.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	729403

Click image for larger version  Name:	FS complete overall view.JPG Views:	0 Size:	164.9 KB ID:	729402

Happy happy. More progress shortly...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Old Stuff; 05-31-2021, 04:17 AM.
    https://www.killbillet.com/forum/30s...the-30-chevyMy 1930 Chevy truck build link:

Comment

• The ’96 parts truck gave up another donation. I took the battery tray and, with lots of modification, gave it a new location on the inside the frame rail on the 'ol '30. Keeping the original battery hold-down in place will make for simple removal when necessary and, even though change-outs will require rolling underneath, there is ample room to get it our past the driveshaft.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery 1.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	729327Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery 3.JPG
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	729328

Name:	Battery 4.JPG
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	729329Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery 2.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	729330

The first thing that came to mind when thinking about this mounting location was crawling under the truck (in good clothes and wet weather of course! LOL) to hook up cables if/when a jump was necessary for me or someone else. Regardless of conditions, I figured remote jumper terminals would be a much better solution. The terminals will be back by the receiver hitch which is only about 5' from where the battery sits.

Name:	IMG_8534.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	729326

Wiring this truck is getting closer!
      https://www.killbillet.com/forum/30s...the-30-chevyMy 1930 Chevy truck build link:

Comment

• Looks great! I like how you mounted the battery out of the way. Where'd you get the remote jumper terminals? I need some for my backhoe it randomly needs a jump at the worst times and you have to remove the floorboard to get at the battery.

Comment

• Originally posted by JWD View Post
          Looks great! I like how you mounted the battery out of the way. Where'd you get the remote jumper terminals? I need some for my backhoe it randomly needs a jump at the worst times and you have to remove the floorboard to get at the battery.
          Thanks man! I'm enjoying getting back in the groove. The remote jumpers I got off eBay for I think $13 each. Summit and Speedway has them also.

Comment

• Things are coming together!
            so many things when building a complete vehicle from scratch hey!

Originally posted by JWD View Post
            Looks great! I like how you mounted the battery out of the way. Where'd you get the remote jumper terminals? I need some for my backhoe it randomly needs a jump at the worst times and you have to remove the floorboard to get at the battery.
            Yep pretty common.. I ordered mine from Amazon.
            My build thread:
            https://www.killbillet.com/forum/20s...at-is-it/page7

Comment

Working...
            X