X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burnin#2
    replied
    Yep, I did the linseed treatment.
    yea, It seems to last a few months, but a car wash followed by linseed treatment seems good to me.
    Been to a couple shows and a quick wiped own pre show is good... bit I have found not to wipe in dust, if you have a rag with linseed oil and dust it will make for a locked in dirty finish. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210704_205127.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	729956Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210704_220949.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	729957

Leave a comment:

• Beyer13
    replied
    I did the linseed on my 64 it made the rust look good and preserved... for about 3 months. Next time I do it I'll get a before and after.

Leave a comment:

• Old Stuff
    replied
    yeah that is a killer look for sure. Hey Burnin#2- did you do the linseed coat???

Leave a comment:

• Beyer13
    replied
    I have been thinking about the way your truck looked and it is really growing on me looks almost like black paint

Leave a comment:

• Burnin#2
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210119_154533.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	882.4 KB
ID:	729204Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210124_232417.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	980.0 KB
ID:	729202Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210119_154556.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	918.0 KB
ID:	729203 I put a cupped wire wheel in my angle grinder and did everything on my rat rod, it actually brightened up the old hard paint without hurting it with light pressure and quick swipes.
    I then just give it an oily rag rub down....
    Dust sticks like crazy tho (I live 4 miles on a gravel road)
    gives it a "used" look.
    But I'm considering the linseed oil treatment.
    I wouldn't clear... if your surface prep is not perfect will the clear flake off over time??
    I feel like 10 years down the road when the clear starts flaking off it will look like **** and you'll wish you never did it.
    Last edited by Burnin#2; 04-12-2021, 10:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Old Stuff
    replied
    That would look real cool. I was really torn on that with my '30. A huge part of me wanted to just clear it as-is. Enough time went by that I started picturing it a flat, rough, "worn" black and that increasingly fit the look of the build. Some folks would recoil in horror but I simply spray-bombed the rusted finish with Rustoleum flat black and to me it works perfectly. (simple touch-ups LOL)

Keep up the progress!

Leave a comment:

• Beyer13
    replied
    Thinking either clear or wipe it down with linseed oil. It might be too rusty for linseed to do much though.

Leave a comment:

• Old Stuff
    replied
    Originally posted by Beyer13 View Post
    Got a few little things done yesterday. Still have yet to pick up an engine or transmission. Have been giving some love to my powerstroke lately. But I got the glove box door built and mounted... also learned 3 ways you can't build a hinge! And I put some expanded metal in the rear window. Nothing big but a little progress is better than none.
    LMAO x 17. We learned at the same shop class! LOL!

Back window is cool. You gonna end up painting that rascal or squirting some clear?- or something crazy?

Leave a comment:

• Gene
    replied
    Learning how not to do something is as important sometimes as learning how to do something. Learning how not to do something leads to thinking of different processes.

I don't think I've ever build a rod without discovering new ways to not do things, and I've built a few rods. Its always a learning curve. Gene

Leave a comment:

• Beyer13
    replied
    Got a few little things done yesterday. Still have yet to pick up an engine or transmission. Have been giving some love to my powerstroke lately. But I got the glove box door built and mounted... also learned 3 ways you can't build a hinge! And I put some expanded metal in the rear window. Nothing big but a little progress is better than none.

Leave a comment:

• rusty15taco
    replied
    Let me know if you get rid of those drip rails. I’ll need 6-8” for my chop.

Leave a comment:

• Old Stuff
    replied
    Good to hear! Hang in there amigo!

Leave a comment:

• Beyer13
    replied
    Haha no parole officers! I'm kinda busy building a porch and working 80hrs a week but I will give an update as soon as possible! I'm still keeping tabs on all the builds though!

Leave a comment:

• Old Stuff
    replied
    Hey! It's time to check in with your parole offi.....er... your ratty compadres on this site! Hope all is well!

Leave a comment:

• Beyer13
    replied
    Definitely my next purchase the mig I am currently using is a flux core only...
    it was hard to go from argon to flux core, kept feeling like I was screwing something up lmao

Leave a comment:

Working...
X