No announcement yet.

Finally getting ratty with a 38 chevy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally getting ratty with a 38 chevy!

So i picked up a 38 chevy cab from a rancher who was cleaning up his property, got it for free! I have experience building vehicles but this project is something I've dreamed of since i was a kid! The cab is pretty rough but i plan on keeping it in the 1500 budget area.

Got a little work done today. Decided to cut the roof into a convertible because of the shape it was in. Im playing with the idea of a leather or vinyl removable roof cover.

Comment

Comment

What's your vision??
        ..... diesel....????
        :)
        My build thread:
        https://www.killbillet.com/forum/20s...at-is-it/page7

Comment

That is 100% my vision!!! Plan is dually rear and a flabed. A buddy of mine has access to some decommissioned ups or fedex (cant remember which mail carrier it is lol) trucks. Which just so happen to have 24 valves in them! Soon to pick up a 30s chevy frame that i will be boxing in for strength. Also plan on a z style frame to lower the cab!

Comment

Subscribed!.....

I think the fed ex or "bread trucks" have 4 cyl cummins....
            The "24 valve" is a 6 cyl.
            it dosnt matter, lots of power can come out if the 4 cyl [they're identical engines just 2 less cyl]

really kool to hear your plan!

what if you use the mail carrier frame and chop it down to desired dimensions?
            will have mounts for eng, trans, rear end.
            They may even have a solid front axle.........
            much stronger than a 30's frame, but all modern, easy to find components [brakes etc..]

the only problem may be the width.... come to think of it.......

keep us posted!
            My build thread:

Comment

I think you are correct about the 4bt. Either way he said he'll give me one for trade on some electrical work at his shop so i wont be complaining!! Lol i do like the breadtruck frame idea that would definitely cut my build time and cost down a bit. Its good to hear someone elses perspective i tend to get tunnel vision when i start planning... i need to loosen up occasionally lol

Comment

Cool project bring some pics for this "new to the forum" old guy whose building a 1930 Chevy 1.5 ton.
                https://www.killbillet.com/forum/30s...the-30-chevyMy 1930 Chevy truck build link:

Comment

Keep us posted. Love the vision...
                  peace ~ rg

Comment

Originally posted by robber grin View Post
                    Keep us posted. Love the vision...
                    Thanks for the inspiration man!

Comment

Started fixing the firewall by welding the cracks back together. Had to ratchet the passenger side back together before welding it was about 2" out of square. Thinking about building a driver door from scratch since it will be cheaper than buying one. Kind of wanting to do like a half door like they do on rock crawlers... A little concerned about not having matching doors though. I dunno yet. I'll probably build one on a whim and then make a decision after.

Comment

So, if your concerned about not having matching doors.... then make two!... 😁😁

The rock crawler style half doors area cool idea.... and relatively easy to build. Just dont modify the cab, then if you come across factory replacements in the future you can swap em in for the winter.
                        My build thread:

Comment

Hell yeah summer doors and winter doors. Why didn't that occur to me?! I'm sold I'll start on them soon
                          ​​​​​​

Comment

Got started on the summer doors today. Didn't have much time in between getting the kids go kart going for summer and cleaning the house.... Yuck.
                            ​But I got the door frame going figured out the angle of the doors now I just need to replicate it three more times. Also thinking about not grinding the welds and leaving them exposed in the cab.

Comment

That is really a neat idea about the two sets of swap-out doors. KISS method functional and optional. The icing on the cake is that nobody else does that. Steady on!
                              https://www.killbillet.com/forum/30s...the-30-chevyMy 1930 Chevy truck build link:

Comment

Working...
                              X