1929 Nash 440 Four door Sedan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1929 Nash 440 Four door Sedan

I bought this in November and finally got it home last week to start working on it. Plans [dreams?] include channeling, chopping, transverse leaf out in front of the radiator, rear four link with air bags, and a full cage, mostly because there's no solid structure at the roof line as all the wood is rotten and a cage will provide some nice mounting points for the door posts.

Progress for the weekend: Removed hood, front fenders and radiator. Pulled engine and trans. Let most of the floor fall out. Removed the fuel tank. Daydreamed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	29Nash1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	638311

Name:	29Nash2.jpg
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	638312Click image for larger version

Name:	29Nash3.jpg
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	638313Click image for larger version

Name:	29NashIda1.jpg
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	638314

Very nice. I just picked up a 1929 428 4dr sedan. still in the thought stage on what to do with it. I don't have any pics to share at this time.

Comment

Nice. Look forward to seeing the build.

Comment

I've been stalled on this for a few months, but I hope to start back up soon. I've got a little more stripped off, but I need to pull the body off to get the rear fenders off. After that, I plan to channel it down over the frame, sit in it and see how much head room I've got. I'd really like to keep it a four seater, but I think if I chop AND channel it, I'll be sitting pretty far back and the rear suspension will take up room too.... I'm curious to see if it will look cool without chopping it. With the length of the body, maybe channeling will be enough. We'll see.

Comment

Progress was horribly stalled with selling our house, buying a new (to us) house with a shop (woo hoo). I think I've got the shop organized well enough to start tinkering again. I decided it was time to pull the trigger on an engine and transmission. I found a 1946 Cadillac 346 flathead V8 with matching Hydra-matic transmission on-line at French Lake Auto Parts. It's a bit of a gamble on the condition, but I'm willing to take the risk. I received them this week and set them in the frame last night to see how they fit. I'm pretty happy. I like the unique look of the exhaust being in the middle of the "V" rather than the outside. This should kick start me back into working on the car.

Name:	Cad364b.jpg
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	589978Click image for larger version

Name:	Cad364d.jpg
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	589979

Name:	Nash364a.jpg
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	589980Click image for larger version

Name:	Nash364b.jpg
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	589981

Comment

Congrats on the new place and the shop. I am in the same process myself but the extra shop is only 22x27 however is 3 times what I had when i built my car. I love the look of that engine.
            Current Build Thread:

http://www.killbillet.com/showthread...967#post366967

http://www.killbillet.com/showthread...ified-27-Tudor

Comment

X2 on the engine!!! That thing is fantastically odd. Hope it runs good for you.
              My build thread:
              https://www.killbillet.com/forum/20s...at-is-it/page7

Comment

Very cool build! Love the look
                Clutter is the evidence of life!

https://www.minterfab.com/

Comment

I wish I had some pictures of a whole lot of progress, but there hasn't been much mechanical progress. I've had to travel a lot for work and had a lot going on otherwise. I did find a "rebuilt" engine on eBay. I've got one at the machine shop being rebuilt, but I found one already done and figured I may be able to save a few steps. I need to pull the heads and pan to see if I bought a "repainted" engine. It wasn't really being sold as a documented rebuilt engine, so I'm not expecting to see shiny new parts throughout, but it would be nice. Click image for larger version

Name:	48Cad1a.jpg
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	590727

Comment

So it's not the Cinderella story I was hoping for, but I'm not too surprised. The engine was rebuilt in the sense that it was apart and built again. I would have liked to find the cylinders with a nice cross-hatch, but I found a little surface rust and a slight ridge. There are a set of new valves though. The water pump is new, or at least refurbished and the fuel pump looks practically new. The carb is obviously clean and has new gaskets, but the throttle blades are horribly pitted. Someone made some decisions on this, I hope they were smart decisions. I need to pull it apart some more and see. Click image for larger version

Name:	48Cad2.jpg
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	590728Click image for larger version

Name:	48Cad3.jpg
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	590729

Comment

I'm finally making some progress. I took the body off the frame so I can remove the extra brackets and pieces from the frame, and cut a little off the back of the frame in preparation for channeling. The wood framing within the body is in a little worse shape than I had hoped. If I didn't have a ratchet strap between the rear windows, the body would pretty much collapse.

I also got my engine back from the machine shop. I'll have to get some better pictures of it. I ordered a Frank Burrell 2 x 2 intake manifold and a couple Stromberg 97s. I can't wait to start getting things back together.

Comment

Super cool project you have going on. Would be really cool to see that motor in it because it's a bit different. Still planning on using it?
                        https://www.killbillet.com/forum/30s...the-30-chevyMy 1930 Chevy truck build link:

Comment

Yes, Im definitely using the Cadillac flat head and Hydramatic. Both have been rebuilt and Im looking forward to getting this thing moving

Comment

Looking good!! The engine looks really good!!
                            Clutter is the evidence of life!

https://www.minterfab.com/

Comment

Glad to see you back at it!
                              Please do a video of the first start up or test run... I hear the beast of a flathead!
                              My build thread:
                              https://www.killbillet.com/forum/20s...at-is-it/page7

Comment

Working...
                              X