No announcement yet.

1928...ish Essex stretch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It has a little pocket for the hood hinge rod to slide in on the cowl. The guy said it was a Chevy. Fisher Body Corp only went from 19-26 (it was Fisher Body Company before and Fisher Closed Body Company or something like that after) so I figure early 20s. I have a bunch of ideas for it already and I don't even have a rolling chassis for the Essex yet...

Comment

Got the bags mounted in there. Need to tweak a few things to line them up properly. I tacked the sleeves for the four link frame attachment points in and measured wrong on one of them. Then I double checked my measurement and found the problem. I promptly moved the correct one fore to match the incorrect one (for reasons that are beyond me) and proceeded to weld up all the gussets on it. Fortunately is isn't much of a difference and there is plenty of adjustment to accommodate, I just have to elongate the mounting holes for the bags on the axle about 1/4". Some days I don't know about me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	frontend.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	585355

The top of the bag mounts will tuck nicely into the flames. I did manage to poke and bloody my hand to all hell while tightening the bolt down. Kept hitting the back of the flames...

Name:	bagtop.jpg
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	585354

Comment

closed up the front of the axle bracket for the four link. Looks a lot tidier now.

Name:	bracketcover.jpg
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	585362

Got the Watts link cut out and the rods made up for the front as well. Just tossed in a bushing I had to mock it up. Waiting on delivery of the one that I bought for it. Gives an idea of what it will look like though.

Name:	watts link.jpg
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	585363

Comment

so I haven't updated in here in wayyyyy too long. I have made a fair amount of progress, though I admit it is becoming a little more circus freak oddity than rat rod now. I like it though. Just finished the rear end suspension and am buttoning up the diff. As you can see there is some paint on the frame, as well as a bunch more fire. I will try to get better updates on the rest of it.

Scored a Dodge pickup with a good running 318 and a 4speed manual OD tranny. I will be lifting it wholesale and dropping it in the Essex. Hope to have the front suspension wrapped up by the end of next week.

Name:	75rear.jpg
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	586593

Comment

Looks like updates coming in about every 6 months now. Progress being made??
            Current Build Thread:

http://www.killbillet.com/showthread...967#post366967

http://www.killbillet.com/showthread...ified-27-Tudor

Comment

Originally posted by Sproket View Post
              Looks like updates coming in about every 6 months now. Progress being made??
              Slowwwwwwwwwly. I got the suspension all done, I'll get some pics up tonight. Engine is set in the chassis. The OD 4 speed ended up being a three speed with granny, which will be good for cruising but, with a 4.57 rear, will top out at about 6mph. Get there damn quick though!
              I stopped the project to rebuild a 69 Red Dale camper so I could spend the weekends on the mountain, then my wife's remote job ended, she had to move 2 hours away for work (low population density does have its drawbacks...) and my weekends are spent driving back and forth.

Add to that.....looks more and more likely that we will be moving to Montana really soon (I am not complaining, Bozeman is a really awesome town) so I have been packing my shop up. I tried working on the Essex last week and most of the tools I needed were in boxes so I gave up.

It may have to sit on hold for a bit..

Comment

Winter is a little more cold in Bozeman than where I am but it is still a nice place to be. Good luck on the move. Construction is still going pretty good there as well, so I hear.

Comment

I had a buddy with a Road Runner 440/727 and 4.56 gears and he was running 4500 at highway speed. No fun if you have to leave town, but a blast if you don't. Sounds like a gear change or OD is needed. You have a lot going on so good luck with this new adventure you started.
                  Current Build Thread:

http://www.killbillet.com/showthread...967#post366967

http://www.killbillet.com/showthread...ified-27-Tudor

Comment

Working...
                  X