Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'27 roadster with force fed 4 build has begun.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.3Turbo_T
    replied
    Had a great time and lots of interest in the roadster! Snapped a pic of the wife resting on the rear tire.

Been to a couple of local shows and even hit Billetproof in Antioch. It's been in hibernation for a couple of months while I worked on the '54. However, I pulled it out today and drove it around for an hour or so 'cause we've got good weather for the next 10 days. I've put about 600 miles on it already.

Leave a comment:

• Old Stuff
    replied
    This forum is huge. Just now came up on your thread. That is one cool roadster and the nose looks great on it. Well.... what's the update on your ride? Was it a cool first out last May?

Leave a comment:

• 2.3Turbo_T
    replied
    Let's finish this build thread up!

Over the winter I tore it down in preparation for final assembly.....

Took the frame out to the backyard and blasted it with Black Diamond.....

Brought it back into the shop and shot it with some single stage metallic silver.....

Then reinstalled the suspension.....

Was able to save my swiss cheese rear quarter panels by soaking some fiberglass mat in silver POR-15 and applying it to the underside.....

Then I used all-metal filler on the exterior side.....

Did some more bodywork on the remaining panels then shot everything in Kirker's Hot Rod Flat Black.....

Reinstalled all body panels then started finishing up the interior by laying down some Peel&Seal followed by cheap indoor/outdoor carpet.....

I used 1/8" ABS plastic to line the interior panels.....

And, you can see I built a cubby hole behind the seat.....

Put the whole car back together and masked it for flames.....

She's all done!!!!!

Looks good, runs like a raped ape and gets 30mpg! I have a grand total of $4800 in this thing start to finish. However, it took me 9 years to finish it! The car is gonna make it's debut tomorrow May 11, 2019 at Fred's All American Old Car Day which is a pretty good sized local event. Let's see what the masses have to say about it!

Leave a comment:

• Sproket
    replied
    Congrats man!! Gotta love the first drive! That is awesome.

Leave a comment:

• 2.3Turbo_T
    replied
    From this............

to this...........and it only took 7 years! Haha!

The roadster is roadworthy! Drove it all around the neighborhood today. What a blast!!

It has no VIN #, hasn't been certified by CHP, BAR or DMV but everything works and it runs like a raped ape! Scary fast!

I have to get used to driving it 'cause everything is so tight in the interior. Very small car. I'm gonna have to do some mods to make it more comfortable. Plexiglass in the windshield for now so I can find, at what point the wind blows in my face. I'll cut an inch at a time until it does so, then add back an inch and go have the glass cut. I'll do a couple weeks of shakedown to determine what needs to be modded, fixed, etc. After that, tear it down to bare frame and do bodywork, paint, polish, reassemble then take care of all the bureaucracies. Here's a couple of pics.

For me...........this is a big day!

Last edited by 2.3Turbo_T; 01-17-2020, 11:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 2.3Turbo_T
    replied
    Originally posted by Sproket View Post
    Haven't seen an update in quite a while. Been workimg on it?
    Yes I have. Just recently got all the lights wired, dash is made, made up the windshield, ran all brake lines, seats in, trans tunnel made and a bunch of other superfluous stuff. Right now I'm going stem to stern tightening every nut and bolt and making sure everything is as it should be. Next up is fill up all fluids and take if for a ride up and down the street a few times looking for any leaks or issues that need to be addressed (I'm sure there's a few)! After that comes a methodical teardown then paint, polish, etc. and put it back together. The final phase will be CHP for a VIN #, BAR for smog certification, brake and light certification and a weighmaster to weigh the thing. License plates, registration tags and I should be good to go! New goal.............next summer! Wish me luck!

Leave a comment:

• Sproket
    replied
    Haven't seen an update in quite a while. Been workimg on it?

Leave a comment:

• Chevrolet4x4s
    replied
    This is an awesome build, I'm working on a 27 t myself.
    Shane

Leave a comment:

• Sproket
    replied
    How is the car coming?

Leave a comment:

• 2.3Turbo_T
    replied
    Originally posted by hotrodchevy View Post
    Hey Turbo, I know this kinda old but I just found it while surfing thru here!! I have a question for you about the molasses trick, do you know if pellets or crystalized will work or does it need to be liquid? Ive got an old cab that I need to do and ID!! Thanks in advance !!
    I don't know. Do the pellets/crystals dissolve? It would probably be best to go with liquid as it has been proven. I'm sure you can find it cheap and plentiful in the San Antonio area.

Leave a comment:

• hotrodchevy
    replied
    Hey Turbo, I know this kinda old but I just found it while surfing thru here!! I have a question for you about the molasses trick, do you know if pellets or crystalized will work or does it need to be liquid? Ive got an old cab that I need to do and ID!! Thanks in advance !!

Leave a comment:

• 2.3Turbo_T
    replied
    I don't normally post unless I have something of substance to show......but since you asked I've done a couple of little things.
    Fabbed up a column drop and finally have the steering column and pedal assembly securely mounted.

Had some scrap 1/2" OSB laying around so I made some floorboard templates. I'll replace 'em with 3/4" marine plywood soon.

Didn't like the location of my gas tank so I decided to lower it about 8". I relocated the filler neck too. I'll put a covering over the tank and make a compartment behind the seat so I can put things in there. Don't have much of a trunk!

I needed to access the filler neck. I hope the mods don't ban me from the site and please don't hate! The one and only piece of billet on this ride!

I'm kinda concerned about overheating. The turbo generates a lot of heat and because of the track nose I'm limited to radiator size and fan size. In addition, there's an intercooler in front of the rad. Therefore, I'm trying to duct as much air as possible directly to the rad. The only source of air is through the grille opening of the track nose. I built a deflector and mounted it at a 30* angle inside the nose to close off that area and force air up over the spring.

Then, I closed in the area between the track nose and rad so all the air will be contained and directed to the rad. That should take care of the problem while moving. We'll see what happens sitting in traffic!

Picked up a driveshaft at Pick-N-Pull. I'm taking it in to be shortened this week. It's coming along slowly but surely!

Last edited by 2.3Turbo_T; 01-17-2020, 11:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Sproket
    replied
    Its been a couple of months. Make any further progress?

Leave a comment:

• 23dodges10
    replied
    Looking Great! And extra gauges to build the next car around too!

Leave a comment:

• 2.3Turbo_T
    replied
    Well........doesn't look like October is gonna happen. Life........in the way again! A lot of my time has been spent working on the other project just getting it cleaned up and running.
    http://www.killbillet.com/showthread...nd-new-project!

I have been toggling back and forth between projects though and have gotten a few things done. Most notably, got the ECU and injector wiring sorted out. That was fun.

Got a trunk lid designed, fabbed and mounted. Couldn't use a full 'T' trunklid (didn't have one anyway) because of the rollbar placement so, I conjured up this thing. Made out of, what else................scrap metal found in the metal dumpster at work! The piece wasn't wide enough so I had to add a 3" section on the right side. Formed the curve over a 4" pipe using my body weight and a BFH.

Welded a length of brake line to the trailing edge of the upper panel to give it a nice smooth, finished appearance.

Built a framework for the decklid using 1" square tubing. Sliced it every inch so I could duplicate the contour then, welded on some 1/8" plate for rigidity.

​​​​​​​

Built a framework for the upper panel too. 1" square tubing and a piece of conduit up top to form the contour.

The upper section is secured with 1/4" buttonhead bolts. Looks and works pretty good. Aftermarket 'T' hinges from Mac's on the decklid so it opens and closes. I'm thinking maybe a VW bug engine cover latch................

or wait and see what I can find at the Billetproof swap meet next week.

Also, built some interior bracing for the bun panels and widened the seat back panel 2".

Built the panels below the doors (washing machine metal) and put a good support/brace in there too.

Next up will be fabbing the dash. Not quite sure of the design yet but I was able to score some gauges. Not Autometer or SW but for the price I couldn't let 'em go. Summit Racing had a blowout sale on their cheaper SunPro pieces. $2 ea for the water temp, boost, oil press and volts and $5 for the tach! They were so cheap I got both black and white sets. I'll decide later which to use. Almost $300 retail. Cost me $42 shipped to my door!

Now I have no use for the '63 Galaxy unit I was gonna use so if anyone is interested............$50 + the ride (shameless plug).

That's it for now. Not a lot but I just keep plugging along. I'm still retiring in Oct so I should have more time to work on it. I really wanna get this thing on the road!
    Last edited by 2.3Turbo_T; 01-17-2020, 11:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X