Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'27 roadster with force fed 4 build has begun.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm getting ready to do the same swap with the 2.3 turbo. Im looking to buy a trans. I know the mustang trans have the shifter all the way in the back, but the thunderbirds have mid shift. Which one are you using?

Comment

I'm using the Turbo Coupe T5. It's got the lower first gear. I had 3 of 'em but I sold 2 and kept 1 for myself.

Last edited by 2.3Turbo_T; 01-11-2020, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Great progress and work! Keep the pics and info coming...

Comment

Great job on it so far! I like how you are using washer/dryer sheet metal to patch, and ect. ive done the same, thought it was kinda odd, and that i was probally the only on out there that did it, but im happy to see otherwise.

cant wait to see it finished!!

Comment

Do you plan on using the hydro set up or using the cable set up from the mustang?

Comment

Originally posted by jake149 View Post
              Do you plan on using the hydro set up or using the cable set up from the mustang?
              I'm going with the hydraulic clutch. There ain't a whole lotta room in there! Pedals will be frame mounted and come up through the floor. I actually got the subframe rails cut and bent the other day. They follow the contour of the originals perfectly!

I had to clamp the crap outta the rails so I wouldn't get any warpage. There were guys on that other website that said my little dirt cheap frame table would fold like an acordian if I welded on it. They were wrong!

Here's one tacked. Next pic is finished welded and ground down.

I had a hard time cutting the 2x3 tubing with my portaband 'cause the tool is kinda heavy and I had difficulty getting a straight/true cut. So........I decided to make a stationary bandsaw!
              Built a base outta 1" square tubing.

Added a support bar.

I knew I'd eventually find a use for this ($2 at a garage sale).

Built the table structure.

Scavenged the tabletop from the dumpster at work.

Mounted my 6230 and bingo, stationary bandsaw!

Grabbed this little tidbit last week, also.

Last edited by 2.3Turbo_T; 01-11-2020, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Hey turbo- I was thinkin abou you today and the molasses , I blasted the cowl , grill shell and headlights today- what a pain in the #$+* . at least its done. Hows the frame coming? I need to start mine soon but..... I just bought a new guitar and the old lady is not too happy -hahaha , just have to wait a little before buying the metal to get going. So... the bed frame worked fine? I dont have a frame table but... have an old bed frame out back . whats with people saying that you cant use a 120 mig to weld a frame? is that true? as long as it penitrates all the way thru? I need to practice my welds abit first oh... nice work on those panels!!!! keep in touch! Raven

Comment

It seems to me that bed frame angle iron harder than 1/8 inch angle iron. I still use it on a lot of stuff, just wonder if anyone else notices that as well.

Comment

Gives a whole new meaning to "Sweet Ride", Great info, learn sumpin' new every day..Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by RAVENS29 View Post
                      Hey turbo- I was thinkin abou you today and the molasses , I blasted the cowl , grill shell and headlights today- what a pain in the #$+* . at least its done. Hows the frame coming? I need to start mine soon but..... I just bought a new guitar and the old lady is not too happy -hahaha , just have to wait a little before buying the metal to get going. So... the bed frame worked fine? I dont have a frame table but... have an old bed frame out back . whats with people saying that you cant use a 120 mig to weld a frame? is that true? as long as it penitrates all the way thru? I need to practice my welds abit first oh... nice work on those panels!!!! keep in touch! Raven
                      Alright, a fellow ax man! Here's my toy........Les Paul 1960 remake.

Yeah the bedframe worked great! It's kinda misleading calling it a bedframe. It's a custom made piece built outta 2"x3" .120 wall steel with angle iron crossbraces. It's pretty stout. As far as using a 120 MIG on 3/16" steel, I suppose you could if you're a mega welder. Unfortunately, I'm not. A 220v MIG is always better, penetration wise!
                      Last edited by 2.3Turbo_T; 01-11-2020, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Axe Man!

Originally posted by 2.3Turbo_T View Post
                        Alright, a fellow ax man! Here's my toy........Les Paul 1960 remake.

Yeah the bedframe worked great! It's kinda misleading calling it a bedframe. It's a custom made piece built outta 2"x3" .120 wall steel with angle iron crossbraces. It's pretty stout. As far as using a 120 MIG on 3/16" steel, I suppose you could if you're a mega welder. Unfortunately, I'm not. A 220v MIG is always better, penetration wise!
                        Heres one that I've been building! started with a hunk of walnut and a slab of figured walnut , selling it on flea-bay to help pay for my new Dbz imperial -Raven
                        Attached Files

Comment

grill for your track nose!

Hey Man, found you a grill for your nose on flea-bay here is a listing for her store. keep an eye out, it's not listed right now ( just ran out) but... I know they have a couple of them and will re-list soon!
                          I will send you a PM with the link I think it was 70.00 or something close to that
                          See ya!
                          Last edited by RAVENS29; 04-06-2012, 08:48 AM. Reason: Pm the link

Comment

Found it!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALUMINUM-TRA...item46026eef7b

$96 + shipping and it's new! Speedway wants $130 + shipping so definitely a better deal. I saved her to my favorites and will be keeping an eye on Karen! Thanks for looking out for me! BTW, awesome guitar!!

Comment

???

Hope your just too buzy workin on the toy to get on line!

Comment

I don't mean to burst your bubble, but I noticed that on your frame you are buffing off your welds to give it a smooth look. I understand that, but there is a picture of your frame tacked together without bevelling the edges. I REALLY hope you not just butt welding the seams and then buffing off basically your whole weld. If I wanted the smooth look I would use a backing bar, and leave the thickness of the material (atleast) between the two pieces. Then toss down a weld aiming dead center straight up and down between them (all while they are clamped). Wait for it to cool and then buff off.

Comment

Working...
                                X