Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'27 roadster with force fed 4 build has begun.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like its working great.That drivers door does have pretty deep pitting,almost looks like its most of the way thru. Maybe do a test run with the new liner and just fill with water first to make sure there are no leaks.better be safe then have to spend more money on the molasses.

Comment

wow this is gonna be a awesome thread just for the bodywork!! whats youyr plans on the motor dont know if i missed it somewere or what but whats the blueprint on this one haha!are u just power washing the molasses of or using like a degreaser agent??
      "it doesnt matter what it is just build it and drive it"
      Ed "Big daddy" Roth:

Comment

I just hosed it off with a garden hose. It was basically just a test to see how the molasses worked. I'm gonna put everything back in for a month.

This is the motor. I'm pulling it out of my Mustang. Around 350 hp. It'll be backed by a T5 with a Maverick 8" rear.

Last edited by 2.3Turbo_T; 01-07-2020, 11:52 PM.

Comment

Nice motor,thats a lot of horsepower for a four cylinder.Should look pretty cool, high tech engine with the old body.How fancy are you going with the body,paint and finish wise?

Comment

This molasses thing seems pretty awesome! So its a 7:1 (water to molasses) ratio. How do you mix it up? Does it try to separate over time and have to be re mixed?
            Jesse

Comment

Originally posted by HellRat View Post
              Nice motor,thats a lot of horsepower for a four cylinder.Should look pretty cool, high tech engine with the old body.How fancy are you going with the body,paint and finish wise?
              I'm just going with flat black and maybe some flames, fat tires, 4" ride height and some sort of rollbar. I like this style rollbar but it'd extend to the other side of the car. When I get to that point, I'll figure out somethin'.

Originally posted by 38Racing View Post
              This molasses thing seems pretty awesome! So its a 7:1 (water to molasses) ratio. How do you mix it up? Does it try to separate over time and have to be re mixed?
              I just poured 1 jug of molasses in, filled up the same jug 7 times with water then repeated the process with the other 4 jugs. Took awhile but I was sure of the mix ratio! I've heard of other guys mixing it 9:1 and some as low as 3:1. Not sure how much difference it makes but 7:1 obviously works!

It doesn't seperate but I've heard after derusting a lot of parts it tends to lose it's effectiveness. One guy did 4-5 car bodies before he had to replace the molasses.
              Last edited by 2.3Turbo_T; 01-07-2020, 11:54 PM.

Comment

I just poured 1 jug of molasses in, filled up the same jug 7 times with water then repeated the process with the other 4 jugs. Took awhile but I was sure of the mix ratio! I've heard of other guys mixing it 9:1 and some as low as 3:1. Not sure how much difference it makes but 7:1 obviously works!

It doesn't seperate but I've heard after derusting a lot of parts it tends to lose it's effectiveness. One guy did 4-5 car bodies before he had to replace the molasses.[/QUOTE]

Sounds good to me! First chance I get to clean up some rust, I'm definitely gonna try this. I was wandering last night though, if you use a 4'x4'x4' box, thats almost 480 gallons of water/molasses! What in the world do you do with it when you are done?
                Jesse

Comment

Actually, it's a 4'x4'x3' box. Each jug is 3.5 gallons. The total is about 175 gals. When I'm done I'll unscrew the backside of the box and let it all drain out. There's a downhill slope behind the box.

The last batch leaked out and didn't attract any ants or critters, probably 'cause it's so dilluted. I could also scoop it out in 5 gallon buckets and pour it in the garden. It's great fertilizer!

Comment

Originally posted by 2.3Turbo_T View Post
                    Actually, it's a 4'x4'x3' box. Each jug is 3.5 gallons. The total is about 175 gals. When I'm done I'll unscrew the backside of the box and let it all drain out. There's a downhill slope behind the box.

The last batch leaked out and didn't attract any ants or critters, probably 'cause it's so dilluted. I could also scoop it out in 5 gallon buckets and pour it in the garden. It's great fertilizer!

Yeah, Your box was pretty full of parts when you filled it up with water so that makes a big difference in volume. Your box with no parts will hold 360 gallons so I guess the more parts you put in, the cheaper you come out on molasses!
                    Jesse

Comment

I know you are tired of hearing about the molasses but that's one I have never heard. I may have to try that.
                      Cool pick on the engine. Those things fly for what they are.
                      Scrounger CC
                      http://scroungers.net/
                      Looking for a 55 Merc speedo. PM me if ya have 1

Comment

Update on the molasses bath............it sure does work!

You can see some rust on the lower 6" of the panels. That's because I flipped them over and those areas were sticking out of the brew, exposed to air. It's very light rust that a light sandblasting will take care of.

The cool thing about this process is the molasses doesn't hurt paint, rubber or pot metal. It only eats rust! And, thick rust at that!

Also, I finally scored a MIG! Super deal. Hobart Ironman 210. It's a 220v that's virtually brand new and came with a completely full, owner owned tank with a 75/25 mix. All gauges, hoses, a spare whip/gun, the optional $150 spoolgun switch installed and even the original spool of .035 wire that still has about 2/3 left! It has a maximum of 20 hours on it. There's a couple of small scratches on top where someone set something on it but otherwise this thing is pristine! It'll weld up to 3/8" steel on one pass.

The story is, it was a demo model at a local welding supply house. The store was bought out by a bigger chain and employees were consolidated. As part of the assistant managers severence package, he was given the Hobart. He put it in storage for awhile and then decided he needed some money and listed it on craigslist. That's where I stepped in. It was 5 miles away and I picked it up for $700! Now I can start on my inner structure and frame!

Last edited by 2.3Turbo_T; 01-07-2020, 11:56 PM.

Comment

Started on some patch panels today. Not to keen on paying Howell's inflated prices for their POS patch panels, so I'm making my own. Here's the donor sheetmetal found in the 'free' section of craigslist................

Made a bunch of these. They work great!

Last edited by 2.3Turbo_T; 01-07-2020, 11:58 PM.

Comment

This is my first time welding sheetmetal. Gosh, can you tell? Began here 'cause I knew if I screwed it up it'd be covered mostly by the rear wheel. Nothing a little hammer/dolly work and a skim coat of bondo won't fix!

The second panel is coming out a little better. I guess I learn from my mistakes. Still gonna need hammer/dolly work but it's coming along.

A few relief cuts.

Last edited by 2.3Turbo_T; 01-08-2020, 12:01 AM.

Comment

any updates on the build.... im gearing up for your molasses trick right now

Comment

Project is on a temporary hold for the time being. Life got in the way! Post pics and keep us updated on your molasses bath!

Comment

Working...
                                X