Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Passenger Side Floor and Rocker

Got a garage session in early Saturday.

Had to re-establish the door gaps so I assembled the hinges, installed the PS door and adjusted it to where it was close enough before spotting the A-pillar patch.

Love to see the door on the truck! Hate to have to remove it to go forth with the repairs, but it's got to be done if it's ever going to fit right in the end.

Had to jack up the A-Pillar a bit to get it in place and set the gaps once again. My floor jack and a piece of thick wall tubing under the top hinge did the trick.

When I had all the holes lined up and the door gap close enough, I clamped everything together, and tacked the patch to the bottom of the A pillar.

Pulled the jack and removed the door, then finished welding the patch in place. Knocked it down with a flap disk.

Hopefully that will work - hopefully.

I am not a body man! Just a hack with some time on his hands... MUCH RESPECT to the real body workers / painters out there - YOU ROCK.

rg
    Attached Files
    peace ~ rg

Comment

Got back to work on the 62 a bit more Sunday afternoon and tried to finish up the PS A pillar area repairs.

The floor patch didn't meet the firewall very well so I cut that out and made a small patch to marry the two.

I got a little loose with the cut-off wheel, so I had a pretty good gap in spots to close on the kick-panel patch but IT'S IN!

Still need to knock it all down a bit and touch up some small "light leaks", but it's getting there.

Front fender bracket was finally able to be bolted down too... putting parts back on just feels so right.

Happy Holiday to all you who labor to make this the greatest place on earth!
      peace
      rg
      Attached Files
      peace ~ rg

Comment

Cornered

Well I had thought about the cab corner then I decided I'd try my hand at hammering out a "patch" for my PS cowl vent box - looked pretty good till I welded it in the hole - thank goodness for the fender and cowl panel as well as body filler... I guess I had fun trying!

Cab corner patch in no way resembled what I cut out of the corner so I had to modify it some to make it meet the rocker and match the cab's corner radius... nearly screwed up by the time I had the top of the patch welded in things must have twisted enough that the rocker wouldn't fit the opening!

Removed the clamps and fit the rocker in place so I could weld the cab corner in.

That's probably enough chaos for one day.

geee-whiz you know.
        rg
        Attached Files
        peace ~ rg

Comment

Originally posted by robber grin View Post
          Well I had thought about the cab corner then I decided I'd try my hand at hammering out a "patch" for my PS cowl vent box - looked pretty good till I welded it in the hole - thank goodness for the fender and cowl panel as well as body filler... I guess I had fun trying!

Cab corner patch in no way resembled what I cut out of the corner so I had to modify it some to make it meet the rocker and match the cab's corner radius... nearly screwed up by the time I had the top of the patch welded in things must have twisted enough that the rocker wouldn't fit the opening!

Removed the clamps and fit the rocker in place so I could weld the cab corner in.

That's probably enough chaos for one day.

geee-whiz you know.
          rg
          that looks a tons better than my P/O's attempt with rags and newspaper...LOL

Comment

Originally posted by ChristCrusader13 View Post
            that looks a tons better than my P/O's attempt with rags and newspaper...LOL
            Thanks CC! I kind of got a bit overwhelmed in the process, but that happens. I think it will work out eventually.

Last time I put a 62 together I stuffed the corner with fiberglass, shaped the outside, filled, sanded and primed and it was beautiful in primer.

This is actually my first attempt at doing it "right". I'll feel better when the door is back on and (hopefully) fits!

Thanks for the encouragement!
            bob
            peace ~ rg

Comment

Back In The CORNER

Dollied the cab corner to try and match the line on the rocker, then pulled the rocker back off the cab and started the final welding of the cab corner patch.

With such a poor fitting piece it took lots of "massaging" to make it work. Plus I added metal at the point it meets the rocker as well as on the back by the pinch weld. Cut the junk out at the pinch weld just above the corner patch and made a piece to go there that meshed better with the contours of the pinch weld.

Welded up a few pin holes at the pinch weld above the patch.

PS Rocker is next.

Have a nice day!
              robber grin
              Attached Files
              Last edited by robber grin; 09-03-2014, 05:48 PM. Reason: dunno
              peace ~ rg

Comment

Dollied the cab corner to try and match the line on the rocker, then pulled the rocker back off the cab and started the final welding of the cab corner patch.

With such a poor fitting piece it took lots of "massaging" to make it work. Plus I added metal at the point it meets the rocker as well as on the back by the pinch weld. Cut the junk out at the pinch weld just above the corner patch and made a piece to go there that meshed better with the contours of the pinch weld.

Welded up a few pin holes at the pinch weld above the patch.

PS Rocker is next.

Have a nice day!
                robber grin

want to do mine next????

Comment

want to do mine next????
                  Hey CC13 - It's just an 8 hour drive - bet we could probably pull it off somehow! Let me get mine on the road so I don't have to walk!

Takes me 10-11 to get to Mama's house in Hinesville GA (Savannah area), but she makes the best cheeseburgers on the planet.

Thanks for the invite.
                  bob
                  peace ~ rg

Comment

Nice work ya hack with some tools. Haha all things aside nice work for having some time on your hands, it all looks very good.
                    Current Builds:

http://www.killbillet.com/showthread...-s-66-mustang/

http://www.killbillet.com/showthread...68-GMC-Pickup/

Dan the Man
                    Admin

Comment

Originally posted by Dan the Man View Post
                      Nice work ya hack with some tools. Haha all things aside nice work for having some time on your hands, it all looks very good.
                      Hey Dan - That's my story and I'm stick'n to it. Thanks
                      peace ~ rg

Comment

PS Rocker ON

Drilled the rocker and screwed it in place with some sheet metal screws before test fitting the door one more time to be sure... fit pretty good and I think its going to be okay.

Cleaned the inner rocker panel and both A & B pillars up with a wire wheel, sprayed some on weld-thru primer and put the rocker on for the last time (hopefully) with screws and clamps.

Plug-welded it onto the cab and knocked the welds down with the flap disk.

Shot a little primer on things for now and Im calling it quits for today.

I still have to finsh grinding the welds down, double check and finish all the welds, dress those up before some filler work and so forth.

Fill, sand, primer... then repeat everything on the Driver's Side.

peace ~ robber grin
                        Attached Files
                        peace ~ rg

Comment

Drilled the rocker and screwed it in place with some sheet metal screws before test fitting the door one more time to be sure... fit pretty good and I think it’s going to be okay.

Cleaned the inner rocker panel and both A & B pillars up with a wire wheel, sprayed some on weld-thru primer and put the rocker on for the last time (hopefully) with screws and clamps.

Plug-welded it onto the cab and knocked the welds down with the flap disk.

Shot a little primer on things for now and I’m calling it quits for today.

I still have to finsh grinding the welds down, double check and finish all the welds, dress those up before some filler work and so forth.

Fill, sand, primer... then repeat everything on the Driver's Side.

peace ~ robber grin
                          WHAT??? Our trucks have inner rockers??? LOL ... yea.. I still need to install those lol

Comment

WHAT??? Our trucks have inner rockers??? LOL ... yea.. I still need to install those lol
                            It's a lot of work but it's nice to know that the area is clean and solid once again.

How bad are your's?

I didn't like the cheaper flat "inner rocker" panel that I had originally bought to do this, so I haven't used them yet.

When Keith was patching his 63 GMC he showed me the piece he had found that covered everything from the corner to the firewall pinch weld - much nicer panel to work with. I got one from Top Banana and it went in much better but still needed some tweaking to be right on.

My PS seemed to be the worse... but I still have to tear the DS down to be sure.

stay tuned...
                            rg
                            peace ~ rg

Comment

It's a lot of work but it's nice to know that the area is clean and solid once again.

How bad are your's?

I didn't like the cheaper flat "inner rocker" panel that I had originally bought to do this, so I haven't used them yet.

When Keith was patching his 63 GMC he showed me the piece he had found that covered everything from the corner to the firewall pinch weld - much nicer panel to work with. I got one from Top Banana and it went in much better but still needed some tweaking to be right on.

My PS seemed to be the worse... but I still have to tear the DS down to be sure.

stay tuned...
                              rg

I'll have to take photos... lol... I don't remember how bad..... I think i cut them out, or what twas left of them.

Comment

Tunnelling out

Sunday afternoon I spread some filler on the corner, sill area, and patches.

Then I had to weld some patches on the low floor transmission cover before seam sealing and priming it.

Haven't caught a break in the schedule since. So when I couldn't take it any longer, late last night I slid down to the garage and laid the carpet and mats in the cab to see what it will look like.

HOPED to get back at it tonight... and I did get a little bit done.

Bolted the cover down on the tunnel with some 3/8th's butyl, then seam sealed it.

It's a far cry better than what we started with!

Started to block the filler and still need to dress that all up, then seam seam everything and get it in primer.

Sand some more tomorrow I hope.

Blessings everyone - robber grin
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by robber grin; 09-10-2014, 08:50 PM. Reason: Added pictures
                                peace ~ rg

Comment

Working...
                                X