62 C10 Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Closing the GATE

Bought a Chevrolet tail gate off a fellow over in Bridgeville on the other side of the 'Burgh. It had been shaved so all the tabs were gone and had to be fabricated since I'm running chains.

Some 20-30 holes welded up and a few dents and dings dollied out and fill, sand, prime, fill, sand, prime, and so on.

Polished chains, White vinyl letters, and re-pop trunnions and we can close the gate again.

Started playing around with some bullet tail lights we had - so try and guess what... that more or less brings it all up to present day!

Next stop - Original Tail Lamps, Back-up lights, and creating some kind of wiring.

stay tuned -
    Bob
    Attached Files
    Last edited by robber grin; 08-20-2014, 07:31 PM.
    peace ~ rg

Comment

Originally posted by robber grin View Post
      Bought a Chevrolet tail gate off a fellow over in Bridgeville on the other side of the 'Burgh. It had been shaved so all the tabs were gone and had to be fabricated since I'm running chains.

Some 20-30 holes welded up and a few dents and dings dollied out and fill, sand, prime, fill, sand, prime, and so on.

Polished chains, White vinyl letters, and re-pop trunnions and we can close the gate again.

Started playing around with some bullet tail lights we had - so try and guess what... that more or less brings it all up to present day!

Next stop - Original Tail Lamps, Back-up lights, and creating some kind of wiring.

stay tuned -
      Bob
      Wow.. looking good.... if you aren't using those tail lights send them my way... I need them for my 50 chevy :-)

That bed floor turned out sweet!!!! I'm waiting to get a garage before I put the wood in my 64...

Comment

TAIL LIGHTS & Back-Ups

Originally posted by ChristCrusader13 View Post
        Wow.. looking good.... if you aren't using those tail lights send them my way... I need them for my 50 chevy :-)

That bed floor turned out sweet!!!! I'm waiting to get a garage before I put the wood in my 64...
        Ha - ha... Ray would kill me! He wants to keep them as an "option", so I better hold on to them for now. I drilled the bed so we can run either the bullets or the stockers.

Started the rework on the stock pieces. Dwayne media blasted everything, JB'd a hole in one of the back ups, primed and painted - then started chasing the gremlins!

Weird - one tail light base had no continuity between brass socket insert and base, so I drilled it and soldered it to re-create good ground there.

Then on the other side of the coin - the back-up fixtures were shorting out through the "rubber" boots to the bases - tore down some old tag lights and robbed those boots for replacements on my back-ups. That was just weird...

Working on wiring, mounting, and making gaskets etc. etc. Trying to do it all with junk and what I can make without having to outsource.

It's all so illuminating -
        bob
        Attached Files
        peace ~ rg

Comment

Then There was LIGHT!

Had to figure out how to terminate the back-up lights with a "new" pigtail, so I soldered an aluminum rivet head to the wire. One of the socket springs was rusted away so back to the junk box and the tag light spring was a bit longer but it worked.

Testing everything with a lantern battery to make sure we are winning the fight with the gremlins.

This stuff is only old once - so yeah you can go get re-pop fixtures and wiring but this is sort of run really.

peace - bob
          Attached Files
          peace ~ rg

Comment

Robber grin, you are like a machine over there. You are cruising through this build. Keep it up man, nice work
            Current Builds:

http://www.killbillet.com/showthread...-s-66-mustang/

http://www.killbillet.com/showthread...68-GMC-Pickup/

Dan the Man
            Admin

Comment

Originally posted by Dan the Man View Post
              Robber grin, you are like a machine over there. You are cruising through this build. Keep it up man, nice work
              Thanks Dan - I wish! The truth is it's been three years in the making with some serious detours on the way. It's a hobby not a living. I did get the thread "caught up" so the pace will seem a bit more realistic from this point going forward.

It's sort of weird to see all the time and energy that went into this truck over these last three years "summarized" in such a relatively brief way but there you go.

I appreciate all the positive comments so much!!!
              bob // robber grin
              peace ~ rg

Comment

Ah I see you have been teasing us with your super powers haha. I was seriously blown away with how fast you were knocking this thing out. I hear ya though on how long it takes to build a car. I've been building my wife's '66 Mustang for the past 1.5 years and I'm finally throwing paint on it this weekend.
                Current Builds:

Dan the Man
                Admin

Comment

Out Back

Dan I might be done if I could get some time to work on it, but we all know how that goes.

I'm sure your bride would love to have that 66 Mustang painted too - so good luck with the painting! P I C S !!!

I drilled my bed sides for back up lights, then tried a set out to see what it looked like.

keep on keeping on y'all,
                  bob / rg
                  Attached Files
                  peace ~ rg

Comment

LIT Tail End

Installed the tail lamps and back up lamps. Wired the tail end so it will be ready for plugging in once it's back on the truck.

Cleaned up the garage and got everything re-arranged so I could start the cab work.
                    rg
                    Attached Files
                    peace ~ rg

Comment

Cab Passenger Side

The truck must have went rock climbing at some point in it's history. Inside of the passenger rocker panel is hammered! Cut it off and started the patch work.

T I R E D !
                      rg
                      Attached Files
                      peace ~ rg

Comment

Originally posted by robber grin View Post
                        The truck must have went rock climbing at some point in it's history. Inside of the passenger rocker panel is hammered! Cut it off and started the patch work.

T I R E D !
                        rg
                        If I didn't know any better I'd say that these are pics of my 64... I've still got this repair to do

Comment

Originally posted by ChristCrusader13 View Post
                          If I didn't know any better I'd say that these are pics of my 64... I've still got this repair to do
                          Crusader - I think most of these require something in the foot-well area unless they are desert SW and even then sometimes...

part of the fun I guess. My buddy Keith has brought a 63 GMC cab back from the grave using his mad fab skills and a bunch of patches!

rg
                          peace ~ rg

Comment

Aren't rocker panels fun on these old GM trucks....
                            Current Builds:

Dan the Man
                            Admin

Comment

Originally posted by Dan the Man View Post
                              Aren't rocker panels fun on these old GM trucks....
                              OH So fun.
                              peace ~ rg

Comment

Friday I finally got to get back on the truck for a bit. What a week!

Trimmed the patch panel down and fitted it against the cab floor for the floor cut-out, then cut the offending metal out of the way.

Fitted it the best I can and clamped it in place before tacking it down.

Welded up the gaps and called it a day.

~ p e a c e ~ bob
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by robber grin; 08-29-2014, 05:59 PM.
                                peace ~ rg

Comment

Working...
                                X