Name:	Heater Control Repair II.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	724680Click image for larger version

Name:	Heater Core.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	724681

In an ongoing effort to bring climate control INTO my 62's cab, I dug out the tins from the original overall media blast way back at the start. Inventoried and organized all the bits and pieces.

One of the factory "brads" had broken off on the back side of the control panel. I was going to drill it out and put an 1/8" pop rivet in place. but used a self-tapping screw instead.

The little bump on the face indicates how close I was to drilling through the panel. Part of the story now....

Rifled through the parts department at home and found the heater core, which obviously should at least be cleaned and tested.

Contacted Bob's Radiator Shop (in West Newton PA) who did the re-core on my OEM rad for the first iteration...

In a world of government over-regulation and environmental restrictions, I was surprised to hear they are still open.

Bob said, "Sure! we can check it out for you."

Guys like Bob are cool that way.
      peace ~ rg

Comment

• Saturday afternoon between preparing for Sunday and cleaning up the last of the leaves in the yard, I was able to straighten up the garage, organize parts, and put away tools.

Separated the 283 from the TH350C it has faithfully served in front of for the last 5 years, and put them both away for now...

After Sunday dinner with Aunt Lil, Ray and I attacked the 62 to get the front end blown apart to make engine installation easier and do all the cleaning and buzz-bombing the November chill will allow.

Made some reasonably decent progress too... I love my son.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Dog House.jpg Views:	0 Size:	126.1 KB ID:	724750Click image for larger version  Name:	Dog House II.jpg Views:	0 Size:	131.9 KB ID:	724751Click image for larger version  Name:	Clipped.jpg Views:	0 Size:	132.2 KB ID:	724752Click image for larger version  Name:	image_139071.jpg Views:	5 Size:	137.5 KB ID:	724753

Seems the pit-man arm has suffered under years of lowered abuse so that will also need to be addressed while the truck is off the road
        Last edited by robber grin; 11-18-2019, 11:00 AM.
        peace ~ rg

Comment

• Originally posted by robber grin View Post

Seems the pit-man arm has suffered under years of lowered abuse so that will also need to be addressed while the truck is off the road
          NAPA had a pitman arm and last night I went ahead and swapped it out while it was conveniently accessible. The old one was dangerously worn out.

peace ~ rg

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	350 350 IN.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	724806

The pitman arm is sorted out so we took the time to tidy up and clamp down the brake lines across back of the front cross-member before setting the motor and transmission in place.

Once we had them on the stands, it was a bit of an effort to line everything up and get it securely tightened down, but in the end we did.

Sunday was literally a day of rest (and a time to heal) with a dusting of snow around these parts and otherwise there is always plenty of other responsibilities to consume our time while we mend.

Stay thirsty my friends...
            peace ~ rg

Comment

• Still so much to see on this forum! Just got through cruising through some of the build. That is one sweet looking ride you have. Being a lover of old wood, the wooden box is a fantastic add.
              Keep on truck'in!
              https://www.killbillet.com/forum/30s...the-30-chevyMy 1930 Chevy truck build link:

Comment

• Originally posted by Old Stuff View Post
                Still so much to see on this forum! Just got through cruising through some of the build. That is one sweet looking ride you have. Being a lover of old wood, the wooden box is a fantastic add. Keep on truck'in!
                Appreciate your kind words... it continues to be "a work in progress."

Click image for larger version  Name:	AC Condenser In.jpg Views:	0 Size:	83.2 KB ID:	724903Click image for larger version  Name:	Front Clip On.jpg Views:	0 Size:	80.0 KB ID:	724904Click image for larger version  Name:	Front Clip On II.jpg Views:	0 Size:	89.1 KB ID:	724905Click image for larger version  Name:	Hotrodding in the Dark.jpg Views:	0 Size:	51.4 KB ID:	724906Click image for larger version

Name:	Inside.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	724907

Finally (FINALLY) got theAC Condenser mounted in the truck's core support and the front sheet-metal back on the vehicle and adjusted for gaps
                peace ~ rg

Comment

Name:	Bill's Box.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	726502

It's only been four of the busiest and craziest months of my adult life... wow

I got some time this evening to go down to the garage and start the assembly of the box my brother Bill built for the 62.

Eventually I hope to mount all the air ride equipment in it.
                  peace ~ rg

Comment

Name:	Rad Shroud.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	727166

Finally got to a stopping point on the 48 so I am getting back on my 62

Re-did the AC Condenser mounting (several times) and bolted the rad and shroud in place.

Need to fab an angle bracket for the burp tank... tomorrow.
                    peace ~ rg

Comment

• Man, that 62 is looking good! I like the wood box above the wood floor as well. Gene

Comment

• Originally posted by Gene View Post
                        Man, that 62 is looking good! I like the wood box above the wood floor as well. Gene
                        Thank you Gene! that means a lot!
                        peace ~ rg

Comment

Name:	Hosed Up.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	727253
                          Got the AC Condenser mounting sorted out, the rad and shroud mounted with SPAL fan, burp tank from Summit Racing, AC Receiver Dryer tucked in underneath, rad hoses took two trips to NAPA and a change in water necks... glad I kept this old one from a 283 set up years ago! Trimmed and connected Fuel Line to Pump. Started the re-wire... battery in... etc.

Headers go in next (I HOPE)
                          peace ~ rg

Comment

• Click image for larger version  Name:	Header DS.JPG Views:	0 Size:	93.3 KB ID:	727262Click image for larger version  Name:	Header PS.JPG Views:	0 Size:	89.2 KB ID:	727263

Yep... tight fit - but no hammer required.
                            peace ~ rg

Comment

• With that much space between the motor and the radiator, what was the reason you chose an electric fan over a mechanical fan? Gene

Comment

• Originally posted by Gene View Post
                                With that much space between the motor and the radiator, what was the reason you chose an electric fan over a mechanical fan? Gene
                                My 62's original rad's top tank had cracked and was leaking slightly. The homemade shroud I had made from fiberglass was also starting to show wear.

Mainly since we are adding AC to the 62, for cooling efficiency when idling.

Champion had a direct fit rad fan shroud in inventory and my good friend and car builder Sam suggested the 16" SPAL was my best bet to stay cool... so we shall see.

There is also the rumor that less drag on the motor means a couple more ponies to run with... which couldn't hurt.
                                peace ~ rg

Comment

Working...
                                X