No announcement yet.

62 C10 Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for the pics.. its great to see the different paths everyone take to a finished product.
    My build thread:
    https://www.killbillet.com/forum/20s...at-is-it/page7

Comment

• We had all the air stuff for my brother-in-law's Cadillac an old suitcases. Makes for a very clean install, I like where you're going with this
      Clutter is the evidence of life!

https://www.minterfab.com/

Comment

• Thanks for the kind words of encouragement! I lack the patience for any truly good results with polyurethane, but the air ride ammo box is slowly coming along.

Got the clean and primered 350 engine brackets in black.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Blacked out Bits and Pine Box.jpg Views:	0 Size:	81.1 KB ID:	723664

Put the Caddy air cleaner on the 283 (couldn't stand waiting) & rolled over to the Steeltown Shakedown at the Carrie Furnace Ruins near Braddock PA. EPIC... if you can get here next year - come.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Steeltown Shakedown 2019.jpg Views:	0 Size:	340.0 KB ID:	723667

When we got home Saturday evening I thought it is time to tear this thing apart and make something new happen, so I got started pulling stuff off the 62 to do the motor swap.

Click image for larger version  Name:	It has begun.jpg Views:	0 Size:	94.2 KB ID:	723668
        Last edited by robber grin; 09-09-2019, 09:29 AM.
        peace ~ rg

Comment

• I only wish there were such kool places as that near where I live... that abandon industrial $hit is incredibly interesting to me...
          like can you go and walk around un there??
          My build thread:

Comment

• Originally posted by Burnin#2 View Post
            I only wish there were such kool places as that near where I live... that abandon industrial $hit is incredibly interesting to me...
            like can you go and walk around un there??
            Yes indeed - I'm told there are 2 hour tours on a regular basis given by the Rivers of Steel organization. During the Shakedown there is an abbreviated tour offered as well.

I have been going for several years and this year was the biggest yet - too much to take in so I just walked and gawked at vehicles
            peace ~ rg

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	Swap.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	723817

Time for the 283 to take a rest while the 350 jumps in...
              peace ~ rg

Comment

Name:	Dipstick Tube Removal Tools and Coffee.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	723840

Motor WAS ready to go in...Walking in the garage I accidentally hooked the oil dipstick on the 350 with my worn out jeans and snapped the dipstick tube off at the block.

Tried tapping it out with a hammer and screwdriver, tried an EZ-Out, even tried tapping it out with a tapered tap and grease before threading a bolt into the remaining tube in order to pull it out with a slide hammer - pulled the bolt out instead and the broken tube stayed.

This morning at 4:43 am I got another idea - take a small punch and sharpen it down like a chisel and work it loose while using a paint gun brush to keep it from falling in the sump.

Put some grease around the top of the bristles to catch small pieces, then pushed the brush down through and bent it over to keep it from falling in, or being in the way.

Took the Punch/Chisel and drove it down at the 6 o'clock position then again at 12 o'clock.

Tube appeared to fall away, but was actually trapped on the wire shaft of the brush.

It worked like a champ and now I am able to replace the dipstick tube that should come today from Summit.

peace ~ rg

Comment

• Good thinkin!
                  I probably woulda just plugged the hole and took that opportunity to do something silly like put a sight glass on the oil pan......
                  My build thread:

Comment

Name:	frame mounted proportioning valve.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	724127Click image for larger version  Name:	Pro Valve Plumbed.jpg Views:	0 Size:	81.7 KB ID:	724126

Friday night and Saturday afternoon we worked on replacing the old leaking Proportioning Valve that was down on the d.s. frame since we built the truck...

New SR universal unit relocated up to the more traditional booster master mounting location.

Nickel Copper lines are nice to work with (and expensive to buy).
                    Last edited by robber grin; 10-08-2019, 06:32 AM.
                    peace ~ rg

Comment

• Is that proportioning valve adjustable?
                      where did it come from??
                      My build thread:

Comment

• Originally posted by Burnin#2 View Post
                        Is that proportioning valve adjustable?
                        where did it come from??
                        No it's a universal GM style stock replacement from Summit Racing.
                        peace ~ rg

Comment

Name:	Fan Shroud Lay Out.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	724243Click image for larger version

Name:	SPAL Fan Shroud.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	724244

Took a day off today to regroup from so much running these last few days.

Marked, drilled, and assembled the SPAL fan shroud.

Ordered a 16 x 24 condenser online for the AC.

Felt good to plink a little
                          peace ~ rg

Comment

• Working on a new look for the dashboard with wrinkle black and black Dophins to match... Click image for larger version

Name:	Black on Black.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	724331
                            now to wire up and still need to remove the old instrument cluster and transfer the white bezel over.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wrinkles II.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	724332

Time to stuff all the hardware and Apache 10 emblem back into play and install... or do I need to do Heater / AC first? never ends...
                            peace ~ rg

Comment

• Looking good!!!!
                              Clutter is the evidence of life!

https://www.minterfab.com/

Comment

• Thanks LB50!

Too tired to do too much of anything today... still quite busy.

Had to flip the top front mounting bolt around on the REZ kit for the 78 power steering gear box to create the necessary clearance to mount the Champion 4 row rad on the 62's Core Support - all done just to make sure we had room to mount some tabs on the core support for AC Condenser mounting... Plenty.

Sketched up some simple offset tabs to cut, drill, and bend - now to get some rest to be ready for another week.

Click image for larger version  Name:	AC Condenser.JPG Views:	0 Size:	104.0 KB ID:	724417Click image for larger version  Name:	Champ Rad.JPG Views:	0 Size:	54.5 KB ID:	724418
                                peace ~ rg

Comment

Working...
                                X