No announcement yet.

62 C10 Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really looking awesome I am going to have to come over and check it out, I have not been feeling good the last week but I will come check it out. Ron

Comment

Glassy

Steering shaft section was made up using the 62's flex coupler and the 78 bub collapsable shafts by buzzing the pegs down on the D-shaft to fit the 62's coupler, a fresh rag joint, and some aluminum rivets replace the plastic ones I drilled out.

E-brake mounted up to 62 pedal assembly, 62 wheel is on for now may go down to a 15" aftermarket if it's an issue. It steers and tilts - moving on.

Glass went in the cab. DS Visor, rear view mirror, repop dome light, wipers and cowl panel done.

bedtime for bob

peace...
      Attached Files
      Last edited by robber grin; 08-20-2014, 06:14 AM.
      peace ~ rg

Comment

Originally posted by ronu68 View Post
        Really looking awesome I am going to have to come over and check it out, I have not been feeling good the last week but I will come check it out. Ron
        Thanks Ron! Stop by when you can... Hope you feel better soon!! bob
        peace ~ rg

Comment

Originally posted by robber grin View Post
          On my third wheel & tire combo - first set of chrome reverse were too wide and rubbed the bed sides, then I had a nice set of AD wheels in red but they didn't clear the calipers. So I found a clean set of take offs from a 70's 4x4 at a garage sale and had them powder-coated white and my son-in-law, Lou, ground me down some poverty www's.

Mocked up the filler panel and rebuilt original radiator, stuck a trans cooler on the core support X-brace by welding some fender washers to the appropriate points and used gator clips to hold it in place.

Settled on a 61 grill with 60 center section to skip running with the letters out front on the grill.

Starting to look like something again.

Thanks for looking - bob

WOW... thanks for the post with the fine pics!

I have played the wheel game on my 634 C-10.... and I'm still at it LOL

I love the grill!

Comment

Grilled out!

Originally posted by ChristCrusader13 View Post
            WOW... thanks for the post with the fine pics!

I have played the wheel game on my 634 C-10.... and I'm still at it LOL

I love the grill!
            I hope I'm not overdoing it! I just wanted to try and do a "build thread" and life keeps trying to jack me up so this is sort of my release - not to mention my first attempt at it so thank you for your kind remarks.

The blue lettered grill is my 60 grill and I used the center section from that one in a 61 grill I had picked up so it would be letter-less. Then I had to try the bumper and guards to see what I had going there. It's good for now. Always try to do something different when it comes to grills. I've even used kitchen drawer handles in the past on my last 62 - just to do something fun. Tried a 58/9 hood badge in a 60-66 GMC grill, but settled back on the 60/61 combo.

Wheels are fun too and they're fairly easy to swap so why not exercise your options if you can. I'm hoping to go 5 lug eventually and find some cool 5 spoke rims to roll on.

peace - bob
            Attached Files
            Last edited by robber grin; 08-20-2014, 06:15 AM.
            peace ~ rg

Comment

Looks really great.... I wish I could find an open grille like that for my truck, but they aren't in the budget...

I did a 5 lug swap on my truck using parts form an 82 C-10, it was fairly painless and it stops a ton better then the 4 wheel drums did!

build thread is here:

http://www.killbillet.com/showthread...707#post338707

I just realized I need to update it.... LOL

Comment

The last image, that is the grill. That one is sweet!
                Current Builds:

http://www.killbillet.com/showthread...-s-66-mustang/

http://www.killbillet.com/showthread...68-GMC-Pickup/

Dan the Man
                Admin

Comment

Originally posted by Dan the Man View Post
                  The last image, that is the grill. That one is sweet!
                  Thanks Dan - that GMC grill went over to my buddy's house for his 63 GMC build.

ChristCrusader - What do you mean by "open grill"? The GMC or the 60/61 4 light style??

I have lot's of pictures because I journal the build progress, print it, and periodically send it down to my Dad for him to see what we're up too.

bob
                  Last edited by robber grin; 08-19-2014, 07:12 PM.
                  peace ~ rg

Comment

ROOFING = hard work!

Back to the sunny side of life.

Cab roof had some tree limb and/or meteorite damage. Pulled with stud gun, sand, fill, prime, sand, fill, prime... and so on. Big tree I'm guessing.

Got it in the basic shape of a 62 C10 roof and primered it with gray epoxy which cow-patches over the filler to beat the band until you get everything blocked down and primered again (and again).

Masked it off and shot the firewall black before we put it back on the frame.

I'm sparing "all" the gory little details, but I'd be happy to look back at any point should a question ever arise.

Big Big Fun -
                    bob
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by robber grin; 08-20-2014, 06:46 AM. Reason: Lousy writer & can't spell anything
                    peace ~ rg

Comment

Bumper-Time

Last year I discovered that the rear bumper I had was actually for a 63-66 with the more narrow frame spacing and I had already had it powder-coated to match the front bumper so had to figure out the mounting brackets.

I had a nice set of 60-62 bumper brackets that it seemed a shame to hack into so I made an adapter out of 1 1/2" x 1/4" strap and some bolts to make it possible to hide the difference.

Re-pop tag bracket and light and big-dome head bumper bolts and we were done with back bumper until final assembly!

peace - bob
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by robber grin; 08-20-2014, 06:26 AM. Reason: Kan't spelle a thang
                      peace ~ rg

Comment

That cab looked scary, and that thicker metal isn't easy to move, I tried pulling a dent out of my left front fender with little success, that top turned out sweet!

I love that bumper to, I ended up roll panning mine, compliments of an F-150 hahhahahaaa

Comment

Originally posted by ChristCrusader13 View Post
                          That cab looked scary, and that thicker metal isn't easy to move, I tried pulling a dent out of my left front fender with little success, that top turned out sweet!

I love that bumper to, I ended up roll panning mine, compliments of an F-150 hahhahahaaa
                          Thanks CC! That top was a challenge for my skill set for sure. Whatever it was that landed on it hit so hard it moved the inner panel too. I jacked it back up into shape with a bottle jack and a 4 x 4!

I roll-panned a step-side bed once but sold it before I ever got to run around with it. Keith panned his last project - a 65 long fleet - looked great too.

peace - bob
                          peace ~ rg

Comment

Board

This bed floor was a project in a project!

Searching CL for used lumber, I found some reclaimed 100 year old Southern Pine rafters that were saved when the old Westinghouse factory in East Pittsburgh was demo'd. Bought enough to do my bed boards.

My buddy from church, Harry (92 years young!!!), planed and milled them into the shape of bed boards, cut the grooves for the strips, then did the final fender well cut-outs and sanded everything into shape. Turned out great. He wanted me to fill all the nail holes so we used clear epoxy for that.

Several coats of polyurethane and the old rafters look much better than before.

Raised the bed floor 3' so I made a board to dress it up at the rear sill and match the bed from some scrap pine.

peace-
                            bob
                            Attached Files
                            peace ~ rg

Comment

Floor rais'n

Raised the floor inside the bed 3" with 2" x 3" blocks of 1/4" box tubing welded on the cross sills.

I made a frame out of 1" angle for a filler panel at the rear sill that allows me to mount the boards solid and take up the gap - dressed it up with the board we made to fill it in.

In order to tie it all in at 3" higher than stock I measured up from each mounting location and scribed a line.

Then had to cut off, flip and reverse, then plug weld all the board mounting flanges to re-engineer the bed sides like factory only 3" higher than stock.

Seam sealed everything along the bed sides.

Tubs now had a gap that opened into the bed so I filled that with a splash panel that was sealed with 1/4" butyl and seam sealer.

It's off the truck again until final assembly then I hope I never have to touch it again!!!

yee-haw -
                              bob
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by robber grin; 08-20-2014, 06:27 AM.
                              peace ~ rg

Comment

Ray's d' floor

My 17 year old son, Ray, getting the bed unbolted for the final floor assembly. He's into it - wants to be a welder one day.

We did most of the final assembly work on the bed floor using a 2 x 6 frame over on jack-stands beside the truck. There's a go-zillion bolts in these things!

I had to relieve the sill that passed over the rear tank filler neck to allow the filler to turn up into the Perko marine vented gas door. Thought about an S10 door in the DS bed panel but wimped out at the last minute!

Modified tubs ready to go in.

Chunk of the wood we started with and it doesn't compare to what we finished with IMO.

SO VERY grateful for my son's help and that of my friends!

Harry, the bed-board man - who always asks me "When are you going to have it on the road? - I'll be 93 in October!!!"

My other brother Todd, who helped me with tweaking the grooves for the strips that we had powder coated to match the bumpers. Todd made the end piece while he was at it too.

We have a bed floor so on to the tail-gate and lighting.
                                bob
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by robber grin; 08-20-2014, 06:47 AM. Reason: Never makes sense the first time I read it
                                peace ~ rg

Comment

Working...
                                X