Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Braden49
    replied
    this next part took my all winter long of slow progress fighting with the cold and lets us not forget the sloped floor, trying to line this 5.3L square between the frame rails with wood blocks, enough to make a template so I can make my mounts

[IMG][/IMG]

I must say it looks pretty damn good sitting there

[IMG][/IMG]

There was lots of taking the motor back out and back in again. I left 1" clearance to the furthest cylinder head back to the firewall and moved it approximately 7 1/2 back from the factory mounts,
    This is how I made the mounts after getting my templates and measurements figure out, I started with 1/4 thick 4" wide 10" long piece of steel one for each side

[IMG][/IMG]

Braced it backwards for extra support.

[IMG][/IMG]

Leave a comment:

• Braden49
    replied
    Winter was just around the corner when My dad and I picked up this 5.3l vortec engine that came out of a 2000 Silverado (pulled cause of low oil pressure) That was actually sitting underneath the stairs of our old place in the garage, brought back to my dads work during the move, and now is back at our new house, this was over a 5 year period since the motor was pulled. Can't complain of the price (freebie) :)

[IMG][/IMG]

The s10 engine and transmission was awful to remove, working on a downwards sloped badly paved lean-to structure, better than pushing a engine crane in the dirt I suppose.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Braden49; 07-14-2015, 08:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Braden49
    replied
    I test fitted the grill out of the dump truck onto my truck I cant remember correctly but I believe there was 1/4" bigger gap difference in between each grate, gives it more of a unique figure to it, I like it.

[IMG][/IMG]

Leave a comment:

• Braden49
    replied
    this is how I build the box support, 6 mounting locations each location is going to have two nuts and bolts, this box shouldn't go anywhere.
    [IMG][/IMG]

1" by 1" square tubing I had laying around

notched where the wheels are going so If I wanted to put bigger tires on I could easier

[IMG][/IMG]

all said and done, painted up

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Braden49; 07-13-2015, 04:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• purp47
    replied
    awesome job! looks great. here's a pic of my 47
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• alaska gasser
    replied
    Lookin good. Five window cabs are popular, so throw your spare one out for sale to recoupe some of your $ for the build.

Leave a comment:

• Braden49
    replied
    funny but scary situation unloading this truck, it was about 20 feet in the air, the wind picked up a bit and a strap slid over to one side of the straight axle and this truck flipped upside down in mid air, luckily no damage was done with some careful maneuvers navigating it into place over top of a shed to where it sits now. Any suggestions to what I should do with this cab?

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Braden49; 07-05-2015, 08:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• lowbudget50
    replied
    Wow, thats crazy!

Leave a comment:

• Braden49
    replied
    not quiet that, the metal was actually split into spider cracks, I had to weld a lot to put the strength back in

Leave a comment:

• lowbudget50
    replied
    Ya, thw old pain under the new paint can make it crack. Ive hers it called laquer checking. Gives it character

Leave a comment:

• Braden49
    replied
    That's exactly what I thought, turned out to be a dealership approach quick splash of paint clean up, I don't know if its the proper terminology but it appeared as if there was spider stress looking cracks around the bottom of the gauge clusters and various places on the bottom on the dash under that paint

Leave a comment:

• lowbudget50
    replied
    Wow the dash in that truck is clean, keep up the good work!

Leave a comment:

• Pauls46
    replied
    Cool pics looks like a great start.

Leave a comment:

• 23dodges10
    replied
    I see pics! Great start!

Leave a comment:

• Braden49
    started a topic 1949 chevy pickup

1949 chevy pickup

This is the start of my first real build, a 49 Chevy pickup cleaner looking rat rod it all began in the year of 2013 I had a dream of fixing up my dad's 54 pickup that's been sitting around for 25+ years, my father said I could have it but only if I built it up proper and painted it... Well I don't have that deep of pockets but also not the style I was going for, so the hunt for another truck was on.
    (Picture and more words are coming soon) What's the fun in building a truck if you can't share your story.

This was a 1949 chevy 6400 I picked it up just for the cab, whole truck costed $800 plus a 12 pack of old milwaukee delivered to my house, already sold the frame for $400 and the hoist for $150, the fun begins...
    [IMG]

[/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

I'm fighting with trying to get photos to upload, can someone comment if you see this one please?

I made a good use of the dump box before I got rid of it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2TIyZz29VE

Can't forget the 84 s10 I bought from my neighbor for $50, threw the box off went for a bush cruise with the sun roof open of course, did a few little smoke shows. video of that is here -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUfX1h1dwGM

My dad's parts truck that I used for test fitting the cab onto the 1984 s10 frame

[IMG][/IMG]

rear end is out of a early 4 door 4 speed nova, 54" backing plate to backing plate
    [IMG][/IMG]

[FONT=Arial Black]Started on the front frame caps and rad support brace[/FONT]
    [IMG][/IMG]

[FONT=Arial Black]burned in the cab mounts with a old gas arc welder

[IMG][/IMG]

[FONT=Arial Black]good penetration [/FONT]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Spent the day grinding and chipping away the rust clumps then Painted it up with some pro form rock guard, id say it turned out alright

This is how I moved the cab over from the original 3 ton frame over to the s10. sisters husband had access to a bucket truck
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Went for a ride up after the deed was done

[IMG][/IMG]
    [FONT=Arial Black]Really nice view from up here[/FONT]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Last post for tonight, I wanted the truck to be somewhat moveable for the mean time so I jimmy rigged up the original s10 wiring harness over and thru the drivers door on the original s10 drivetrain. Clearly the only suitable thing to do next was take it on the street and spin the tires before the motor overheated (unfortunately don't have any pictures or videos of that one but you can take my word on it )
    [IMG][/IMG]

This picture doesn't do any justice to how extend the cracks were but its the only photo I could find

[IMG][/IMG]
    Worked a little magic with the grinder
    [IMG][/IMG]

Only took 3 nights after work but I got all the holes welded up, time for more grinding!

[IMG][/IMG]

Even got my holes drilled for the s10 brake booster
    [IMG][/IMG]

fiber glassed then mud on the dash turned out alright, I smoothed out the ribs below the dash grates. (bottom right of the photo)

[IMG][/IMG]

I'm so lucky to have awesome parents who let me bring home even more junk on top of the junk, and even help me bring it home, plus a uncle who has a HIAB truck to lift this beast up onto a trailer. paid 900 bones for this 1948 3/4 ton (parts truck) 4 pairs of running boards, 2 1/2 pairs of rear fenders, two hoods, a decent box that even matches my cab's color blue in a way, a few grills and tailgates, and even a couple extra doors.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

A truck load of extra pieces

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Braden49; 11-27-2015, 11:14 PM.
Working...
X