X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

prototype 2, 700r4, might go to a 4l60 if the right deal pops up, same case, cross member should work for the both of them

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Braden49; 06-27-2021, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Took a little break from the truck for a few days, its starting to get really overwhelming, especially when most of my friends are buying new cars and i'm still working on this lump of metal.
      I had a few extra tailgates from my parts truck so I gave one to my uncle and told him build a bench and I will build one to, who ever loses buys dinner. My mom and aunt are going to be the judges but if its to close to call can you guys be a judge as well? :)

here is the start of mine
      [IMG][/IMG]

getting better at welding.

[IMG][/IMG]

still have to coat the wood but this is what its going to look like

[IMG][/IMG]

more on the bench's and the final product of both later.
      Last edited by Braden49; 07-25-2015, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Don't get discouraged man. Remember when you get done you'll have people looking and they'll just be another car passing by. Keep up the good work!

Comment

Hey, Thank you, I really appreciate it, you do make a really valid point.

Comment

Started on the cab corners, big mistake using the full patch panel, should of only done the little corner, whoops to late to go back now...

[IMG][/IMG]

it wasn't fitting to well so I cut it and extended it out
            [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

the mud work

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

final finishing coat

[IMG][/IMG]

and the primer, biggest mistake of the truck so far replacing that much metal on the cab corners, I just made 5x more work for myself and ended up with not what I wanted. have to try some painting trick to blend it in with the rest of the patina, I guess we will see how it goes...

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

I found this lovely website http://lt1swap.com/2000harness.htm to convert my 5.3L harness to a stand alone unit, took me two harness's and a lot of thinking but I got it done (at least I hope so)

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I also started on my steering shaft and headers, bought a diy kit off summitracing for $100 and 5.3L head flanges for another $100

[IMG][/IMG]

I actually had lots of fun building the headers

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Finished up with my rad support, heavy 3" channel, it holds everything together to might as well build it beefy, canopy tape on the inside for extra padding 19 x 22 x 3" aluminum radiator

[IMG][/IMG]
              Last edited by Braden49; 08-30-2015, 03:10 PM.

Comment

A lot of hours went into this transmission tunnel and its still not perfect! I guess its gotta do for right now, still have to slap some fiber glass on the seams to smoothen it out a bit.

cut then re welded the fire wall in so I have somewhere to bolt the tunnel down.

K&N cone filter was laying in the barn freebie! bought 4" exhaust pipe and got the one end expanded a little bit so it would slide over the intake, I still have to build a box around it so reduce the heat from the headers, please note I didn't build this for any horsepower gains I just needed a air filter, but those stickers should at least give me a extra 50 hp :P

Last edited by Braden49; 08-30-2015, 03:11 PM.

Comment

I made my front lower cab patch panel, Saves me from buying a new one at $40. The step up line where the fender sits in gave me the hardest time, I tried hammering and English wheeling the line in, after 2 night after work I gave up and decided to cut the piece into 2, welded it up thick and carved the line in with a grinder, I'm happy how it turned out.

I'm going to leave it looking like this, blew on some clear coat so it wont rust, should be good enough.

Before picture, one thing I have learned even though it looks like a tiny rust hole its amplified at least 3x on the inside.

Last edited by Braden49; 08-30-2015, 04:40 PM.

Comment

I used a gas pedal out of a 1997 mustang and made up a mounting bracket, 1 1/2 by 1 1/2 square tubing that I had laying around

It doesn't look square but its in a comfortable location, no throttle cable or brake booster rod hooked up so the pedals aren't in the proper position in this photo,

I took on the liberty of grinding away the rust on the floor and firewall, going to prep and paint it tomorrow afternoon.

I put down one layer of this stuff called boom mat, it goes on really thick and suppose to be good for sound deadening, and I top it off with a bed liner to give it some durability

I also managed to spray the roof under the headliner with the boom mat stuff today.

Comment

I did this last week, just didn't upload the photos. hammered on the paint heavily, hopefully it lasts and doesn't rub off the floor

painted the door jams up, not bad color match for a shaker can bought universal blue paint, don't worry the outside is still going to be ratty :)

I using por 15, seems to be durable and pretends rust, I want this truck to last so I'm using this stuff on anything and everything that's hidden under seals, window moldings, trim pieces, anywhere water tends to collect

Last edited by Braden49; 09-11-2015, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Painted my firewall to match the door jams, bottom half is bed lined and painted over top

I welded my initials on the lower passenger side firewall and left it black so it sticks out a bit from the rest, this is my way of marking my territory, this is truck and I plan to keep it that way.

I built this do-hickey to house the stereo I plan to put in, used a cage I had laying around for the mock up. (haven't bought the physical stereo yet

from different angles

I'm going to try and make it looked frenched in, not to sure how I'm going to do it while working with the stock dash, I got some thinking ahead of me on how I'm going to try and execute this plan.

Progress is going to slow right down, its getting colder, winter is coming up soon and I got some truck parts/work area clean up that should be done before I go away for college.

Comment

Nice work! Keeping it functional and sanitary is a mark of craftsmanship.

Comment

Braden49
                            Great progress on the 49. I like that you are scrounging parts as much as possible instead of spending $$ on aftermarket parts. Once you get hood etc In If you have the room you may want to point the k&n filter toward front of truck to get cooler air. As it sits the heat from headers will be pulled into the filter robbing HP. No biggie but just a thought.

Comment

I always love feedback :) that is a very good thought about the air filter, I like the way it looks but nothing is set in stone with this project. I could always try and build some sort of a heat shield/support around it, it might help.

Comment

Has anyone came across a front bumper that looks like this? It came off my dads 1954 chevy 3100 and I cant find another picture of one on google, custom back in the day maybe? any input would be nice :)

I spent the last week fixing my dash from a pesky grinder marks, seemed like a good idea at the time for removing the paint but ended up leaving marks that couldn't be filled with primer so I slapped some body filler and blocked what I could and the rest I hand sanded all the round curves, here it is just in primer for now, I have some finishing work before I put the paint on.

Comment

Working...
                                X