1955 Buick with a Hemi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1955 Buick with a Hemi

I am building a 1955 Buick Special that I put a junkyard 5.7 Hemi into with full air ride. I am doing 99% of the work myself. I am trying something a little different for sharing progress on this one, I am making YouTube videos. I have a intro video where I tell you about the history of this car and the changes up to Dec 2020, then I started making individual videos for the little project I do along the way. Here is a link to the playlist for this Buick. I will be uploading a new video every week so subscribe if you find them interesting! I will also be posting the completion of my 1929 Willys rat rod on the channel too this summer. Stay tuned!

https://youtu.be/7-2gVWtqmyM

There you are, I wondered what happened to you! How's the Willy's coming along? I loved that build! I just subscribed to your Youtube channel and I'm digging the Buick! You and I are kinda thinking along the same lines. I finally finished the roadster and have been enjoying it but, I too wanted a dependable cruiser with auto and power steering so I picked up a '54 Ford and proceeded with a 5.0/AOD swap. Here's the build thread..........
    https://www.killbillet.com/forum/-50...stomline-build

I'll be following the Buick build and can't wait to see what's going on with the Willy's build! Keep the updates comin'!

Comment

Originally posted by 2.3Turbo_T View Post
      There you are, I wondered what happened to you! How's the Willy's coming along? I loved that build! I just subscribed to your Youtube channel and I'm digging the Buick! You and I are kinda thinking along the same lines. I finally finished the roadster and have been enjoying it but, I too wanted a dependable cruiser with auto and power steering so I picked up a '54 Ford and proceeded with a 5.0/AOD swap. Here's the build thread..........
      https://www.killbillet.com/forum/-50...stomline-build

I'll be following the Buick build and can't wait to see what's going on with the Willy's build! Keep the updates comin'!
      From when I was here posting about the Willys I have had 4 kids, moved 3 times, and had my dad pass away. The kids are now old enough to give me some time, I am almost moved back into my new shop, and I am ready to get going on cars again!

I am loving your 54 Ford build. I subscribed to it!

Comment

Nicely done video. Look forward to seeing it come to life.
        https://www.killbillet.com/forum/30s...the-30-chevyMy 1930 Chevy truck build link:

Comment

Here is the build thread for the car I worked on before this Buick, a 1929 Willys I built from ground up! It was alot of fun to make! It was posted on here as a build thread before.

https://youtu.be/rlbSYqdBxxU

I also finished the video for the air ride suspension setup. The car has around 7" of air ride travel.

https://youtu.be/IAkCiGkTtkY

Comment

I did a few more little jobs while waiting for some parts. Worked on beautifying the parts you will pretty much never see because that seemed like a good use of time! It was a lot of work so I drafted in a helper. Let me know if you liked the paint schemes!

https://youtu.be/bATIVeVvgAg

https://youtu.be/NUMJf9A3sWo

Comment

Somehow in the past 50+ years the fuel filler assembly from the car vanished. I have tried searching for a stock replacement with no luck. I decided to make my own using a generic fuel filler assembly from Amazon, some mandrel bend 2" pipe, and a whole lot of cutting and welding. I am happy with the result other than I need to replace the silicone orange coupler from the tank to the first hard line since silicone isn't fuel rated. I have a rubber piece on the way and will install it before I fill it up for the first time.

Here is the video!
              https://youtu.be/GECzLXq5tN0

Comment

Nice fab work! You're like me. If I can't easily find the piece cheap enough, I make my own.

Comment

Looks like it might work out OK.
                  The extra tube you cut off the fill tube was the vent tube so the gas would flow through the tube without backing up. Modern stuff has a closed fuel system, in that fuel vapors are not suppose to vent into the atmosphere. It the system the fill tube you used was in, that vent tube (you cut off) would have been connected to a valve on the top of the tank.

As long as your tank has another vent tube on the top of the tank someplace, the gas shouldn't back up in the fill tube when you add gas. If the gas backs up when you fill the tank, you will have to address the vent situation.

The piece you cut off the bottom of the fill tube you used with the plastic ball inside was a roll over valve. I the event the car got rolled over, the plastic ball would move up into the tube and block the fuel from running out of the fill tube. As long as you don't flip the car on its side or on its roof, that plastic ball in the bottom of the fill tube doesn't do anything except make it harder to siphon gas out of the fill tube. Gene

Comment

Originally posted by Gene View Post
                    Looks like it might work out OK.
                    The extra tube you cut off the fill tube was the vent tube so the gas would flow through the tube without backing up. Modern stuff has a closed fuel system, in that fuel vapors are not suppose to vent into the atmosphere. It the system the fill tube you used was in, that vent tube (you cut off) would have been connected to a valve on the top of the tank.

As long as your tank has another vent tube on the top of the tank someplace, the gas shouldn't back up in the fill tube when you add gas. If the gas backs up when you fill the tank, you will have to address the vent situation.

The piece you cut off the bottom of the fill tube you used with the plastic ball inside was a roll over valve. I the event the car got rolled over, the plastic ball would move up into the tube and block the fuel from running out of the fill tube. As long as you don't flip the car on its side or on its roof, that plastic ball in the bottom of the fill tube doesn't do anything except make it harder to siphon gas out of the fill tube. Gene
                    Thanks for the info Gene. The stock tank only has the 2.25" fill point and no vents anywhere else. I was hoping that the assembly just inside the cap would allow air in or out as needed. But I can definitely see the issue of air flow coming out during a fill up..... What do you think of installing a breather like the one below?
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuel Tank Breather.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	728871

Comment

The problem is, as the gas enters the tank, the air trapped at the top of the tank has to get out. Without a tank vent, that air will have to escape through the fill tube.
                      I should also add that if your fill tube has a straight enough angle or is a large enough diameter, and the fill tube is at the very top of the tank, and that the incoming fuel doesn't block the air escaping from the tank, you may not have a problem at all. A vented gas cap will allow enough air into the tank so it will not effect the vehicle running.

That valve pictured would probably work if you can add it to the top of the tank someplace, provided it has a way to stop the flow of gas through it. Maybe you can add the vent piece to the fuel gauge location on the tank. My concern with adding that valve to the top of the tank is the possibility of you not knowing when the tank is full, with just the open vent, the gas could just keep flowing through the vent and onto the ground under the car. I believe you will need to add a host to at least the height of the fill tube. Short of that, I think your going to have to have some form of a tube for air to pass through between the top of the fill tube and the top of the tank. It doesn't have to be a very large diameter, maybe a 1/4" or 5/16".

I've seen modern fill tubes with a plastic hose inside, but on the tank end, that hose needs to come through the fill tube and be held at the top of the tank, preferably with out much dip in it. The point at which the gas blocks the air off at the vent is the point where gas will stop entering the tank. The gas pump at the gas station kicks the pump off when the gas backs up in the fill tube.

Years ago I worked at a car dealership. The vans at the time offered 2 different size fuel tanks, a 16 gallon and a optional 24 gallon, but they only had one tank size! The difference between the regular size and the extra pay "larger" tank was the height of the vent tube housing that was positioned in the tank. The "small" tank had a longer vent tube housing and the "larger" tank had a shorter vent tube housing. When the gas reached the opening in the vent tube, the tank was full. The vent tube was connected by hose to a fitting in the gas fill tube so any over fill could return to the tank. Gene
                      Last edited by Gene; 02-21-2021, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Interesting. I think I will try it as is for now and then do a vent later if there are issues. Thanks Gene.

Comment

Working...
                        X