No announcement yet.

My '54 Customline build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is just looking freaking outstanding. Engine compartment is so clean looking- love the MAS plumbing. And thanks for the battery cable link. I'm getting a bit closer to designing that out on the '30.

Keep on pushing forward!
    https://www.killbillet.com/forum/30s...the-30-chevyMy 1930 Chevy truck build link:

Comment

Thanks! I'll continue updating through the completion of this car, not only to keep a record of it's progress but also to try and keep this board alive. Traffic has slowed quite a bit since Covid. Come on everyone......contribute!

Comment

Originally posted by 2.3Turbo_T View Post
        Thanks! I'll continue updating through the completion of this car, not only to keep a record of it's progress but also to try and keep this board alive. Traffic has slowed quite a bit since Covid. Come on everyone......contribute!
        Car is looking great! The seats from a Prius look comfy, and you can show everyone how environmentally in tune you are! Should have asked the Prius owner why they changed, it is making waste and increasing their carbon footprint.

Comment

UPDATE:
          The last 2 months have been focused solely on bodywork and paint prep but I can now confidently proclaim 'she's ready or final paint'!
          I thought I was done with metalwork..........not! It seems the OP had a penchant for slapping mud over rusty/rotted metal and calling it good. I ground out the bondo and cut out the rotted piece on the left rocker and replaced it..........

Then I moved on to the deck lid which looked OK but upon closer inspection.........it wasn't. Ground out the bondo and cut out the rotted metal........

Patched that.........

Behind the right rear wheel the OP had performed his magic. Noticed a small bubble in the primer, ground it out and sure enough........patched with bondo! I cut out the metal and the void behind it was packed with dirt and rust.....

Repaired properly......

At some point in the cars life the pass door had been replaced with a different model door, I guess. The body shop had bondo'd up the trim holes and they were popping out after 50 years. I welded 'em up....

Then I started the filler work. No action pics of that but you'all know the drill. Fill, sand, fill, sand, fill, sand. I was actually able to flatten each section with no more than 3 layers. I'm getting kinda good at this! But yeah..........sanding sucks, especially at my age! In my 20's I was headed toward a career in bodywork/painting. I'm sooo glad I bailed on that endeavor!

I stripped every inch of paint off the car. I can't say enough about BlackHawk strip discs
          Chuck one in a 4" angle grinder and you'll be amazed! It took me 4 hours to strip the entire car to bare metal and I only used 3 discs!

Layed down 2 coats of DTM epoxy primer and followed that with 3 coats of SlickSand. Several days of block sanding got me body panels that are as flat as glass. My body aches!

Here's my arsenal of sanding blocks. The 24" long DuraBlock is an awesome weapon as is the pool noodle (picked up at the dollar store). With all the compound curves our '50s cars have, it was invaluable!

Once blocked, I layed on 3 coats of 2K urethane primer and called it a day.

Ready for paint!
          I'm gonna take a little break. The wife and I are gonna take a trip to the deep south (never been) next week. When I get back, I think I'll start tearing into the 5.0! That's all for now.

Comment

Old body work always seems to hide a lot of stuff, at least I know it does on my junk. I hate doing body work! Your car is looking good in the primer.

How deep are you going in the "deep south"? My wife and I love to vacation to new to us places. We have been to about 35 different sates so far, hoping to set foot in the lower 48 before I check out. The last 10 years we have done vacations in our 48 Plymouth coupe. Great times!

Have safe travels. Gene

Comment

Thanks Gene! The OP's bodywork was garbage. He literally just bondo'd over rust and rot and shot it with primer to make it look good! There was some bodywork that was done in the '60s and it held up well over the years.
              We're flying into Gulfport MS, grabbing a rental car and driving across Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia and the Florida panhandle then circling back through the northern part of the states. Always wanted to see the south. I'll bet it's way more laid back than California.

Comment

When our kids were young, we took family vacations, by car, to several states. From our northern Illinois home, one trip we did was to central Florida, so we caught several states in that swing, both to and from were different routes.
                We have just skimmed across the northern edges of Mississippi and Alabama. If your driving, a long way around Atlanta Georgia so you miss it is a good plan if you can. Its just a mess to get through, and once you get near it, there is no short way around it.

We have been talking about doing a Gulf shores cruise across the southern states, but haven't gotten the deal done yet. Other then possibly Atlanta, the route your taking will definitely be more laid back then California. Sounds like a fun trip. Have safe travels. Gene

Comment

Geez that is looking great. Can't wait to see some color! Top shelf work cool dude.
                  https://www.killbillet.com/forum/30s...the-30-chevyMy 1930 Chevy truck build link:

Comment

Working...
                  X