57 Jeep DJ-5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 57 Jeep DJ-5

Sarted my latest project! I scored a 57 Jeep DJ-5 (two wheel drive ) .Installed a 283 chevy and a 350 auto trans ! I'm going to try and not get carried away like I did on my last project ! I'm trying to keep a $3000. budget. I will be taking a few pic tomorrow and will try to post them. Boojoe Out

Hopfully I can figure out how to post pics! This is a long way from the roadClick image for larger version

Name:	DCP_1012.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	593319Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP_1013.JPG
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	593320

Comment

That's a kool little rig!
      Didn't know 2 wheel drive jeeps existed...
      What's your direction on this project... gonna lower it an inch or 13...!
      My build thread:
      https://www.killbillet.com/forum/20s...at-is-it/page7

Comment

Trying to keep the expenditure down to the $3000. Probably will not be lowering it! May take a leaf out of the springs. Glad you like it !! Boojoe out

Comment

Well it looks like I may go over the $3000. budget .I had ordered a carb to use on this motor but I had to put it on my Studebaker so I had to get another!! The motor and trans are mounted and it looks like this setup may work. The one foot drive shaft is a an angle but I think it will work Boojoe out

Comment

U joints can only accommodate about a 30 degree angle, that doesn't give you much of a driveshaft angle with a foot long driveshaft. If the angle is too much, it can break the trans tail shaft housing. If the rear end is above the springs, a couple of lowering blocks between the axle and the springs will help out the driveshaft angle a bunch.

Its pretty tough to build anything these days for under $3,000, unless you have a bunch of stuff sitting around. I have over $1,000 in parts just rebuilding the bakes on my Dakota chassis. It didn't help everything was wore out. The little stuff you need at the end of the build is what kills the budget. I just can't seem to get out of a parts store without dropping a $20 dollar bill. Gene

Comment

I'm going to try lowering the trans mount 2 inches and angle the rear up a bit. That may put me in the ball park!! I think I have about $110 left in my budget! Still have to get some junk-yard seats . And figure out the throttle linkage. Your right about the parts store, almost waiting for them to ask (how much money you have!!!that's what it costs ) Boojoe out

Comment

Yea, the junk yards are almost as bad as the parts stores around here. I got a nice pair of center bucket seats out of a mini van at a local pull a part on their 40% off day, both seats cost me $25. Neither seat had an adjuster, and my wife might drive this latest ride, so the driver seat has to be able to adjust. The cheapest manual adjustable seat tracks I could find were online and cost $30 by the time I got them here. Some days, you just don't win. The seats look great in the truck though, and the driver seat does move forward and backwards. Gene

Comment

Mounted the altenator and radiator. Moved grill out 3 inches for fan clearance. I have done wiring and gas pedal. If decided to drop the trans mount another 2 inches to make the driveshaft8
                  less steep

Comment

I didn't include the latest pics so here you go!! Boojoe outClick image for larger version

Name:	DCP_1015.JPG
Size:	174.1 KB
ID:	593447Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP_1020.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	175.2 KB
ID:	593448

Comment

Making progress on this jeep. I'm going to have to lower the axle to get the 1 foot driveshaft to hook up. Ordered new bolts, they will be here Tues. Finished the new tunnel yesterday and Izm happy with how it came out

Comment

Forward progress. The punch list helps keep it going. Liking this one a lot.

Comment

Driveshaft in .I m out of town when get home it's time to fill the trans and bolt up the torque converter. I guess after that , I ll fire the motor again!! The last thing is fuel line and brakes !!!!

Comment

Its pretty hot down here!! Just finished up in my shop. Good day today, no more gas leak, Wired the alt and found I did not tighten the nut on the starter! Fired the engine, 50 lbs oil pressure. Tomorrow I will head out to the shop earlier. Those headers sound great. I'm pretty happy, now to takle all the detail jobs. while I was working Fedex droped off more parts . Wheel cyl and shocks!! Yes the budget is blown. O well I'm having fun..Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP_1014.JPG
Size:	169.2 KB
ID:	593626

Comment

Glad it's all going well! Keep the updates coming!
                              -Aiden

Comment

Working...
                              X