Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube Watch us on Google+
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Port-a-whites/ fake white walls

Anyone know where I can get a set of Port-a-whitewalls? I've got a set of old dirt track tires for the back of my '38 p-up and would like to use these rather then spend $250 a-piece for a set of Firestone Vintage Drags. I've got a buddy with a set, but can't remember where he bought them. Thanks.

-Mike

2. Default Porta Walls

Try www.lucasclassictires.com .They have an installation recommendations web page for porta walls.

Try the mooneyes website they have them. Also saw them on eBay
    Rick

I asked on the other forum about these once and everyone who had used them or knew someone that had used them said that they were junk. Said they would come off at highway speeds and looked like poo. I also liked the idea of cheap whitewalls but there are other ways of getting them. I will look for some links and PM them to you so I am not putting other sites on here.

dmw56 Guest

I had some I bought from JC Whitney a long time ago and had them on my Studebaker for over 15 years, lasted longer than the tires. Don't know what brand they were.
    Last edited by dmw56; 01-31-2008 at 08:10 PM.

I read somewhere that Atlas brand is the best and will hold up somewhat. The mooneyes ones are junk though from what I have heard.

Just PM'ed you Garvin. Thanks for the inpt, butI wish I'd read your reply here first!

OldSchoolJay Guest

anybody got close up pics of the diferent brands actually on tires? i will be looking for a cheap way as well.

Quote Originally Posted by garvinzoom View Post
    I read somewhere that Atlas brand is the best and will hold up somewhat. The mooneyes ones are junk though from what I have heard.
    I saw a set at a swap meet about 10 years ago, and they were Atlas brand. Those suckers were thick, I tell ya....
    Rob
    '62 Ford Falcon 2-door ratwagon
    '75 Dodge Monaco Bluesmobile w/440
    '43 Ford GPW
    Lookin' for:1966-1968 Cadillac

They're intended for bias ply tires and will not work right unless you roll bias plys. With that stated for a few bucks more you could just pick up some wide whites. I had some on my 40 plymouth coupe and they looked real enough that I was surprised when I removed the tire to find out they were port o walls. If you have radials then I wouldn't do it. If you already have bias then go for it....it couldn't hurt to try.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last