Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube Watch us on Google+
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Custom Glass for a chop top?

Just trying to plan ahead. If I chop the top I'm thinking that I can handle the door and rear windows by recessing them, but the windshield will be a different story. Will I need to get some custom glass made? Any resources on this kind of thing? I haven't got my vehicle yet but I'm planning on a 37 Chevy PU. Any suggestions?

-Troy

You should have good luck just going to a automotive glass shop and telling them what u need. you may even take the truck there and they could fit it up. its usually fairly inexpensive for the glass and gives it a nicer look

Thanks! I wasn't sure if it would be that easy.

Yea no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by kibler18 View Post
    You should have good luck just going to a automotive glass shop and telling them what u need. you may even take the truck there and they could fit it up. its usually fairly inexpensive for the glass and gives it a nicer look
    Orrr .. sometimes they come to you!

straight glass is not a problem BUT curved glass can be costly or very costly. It is cut at your problem if it breaks, ask me how I know. Ed ke6bnl

Yep, custom glass (curved) can be VERY expensive. I've heard numbers like $ 2500 to $ 5000 for a windshield :eek: and if it breaks, you still own it. That may be the extreme, and better deals might be out there, but it is still tough. There are only a limited number of people who will touch it, and the average glass shop only wants to do stock type stuff.

This is one reason I only do old rods with flat glass. :D

Don

yea. you can usually find a rest company that deals in your vehicle to and if they make the glass to fit it its usually pretty reasonable too.

Make sure they use the safety(plastic in glass) for the windshields...around here its been a safety thing you can get a ticket for. It will be ingraved in the glass.
    Curved windsheild are not to bad around here...you have to buy 3 winshields. My guy has been great only broke 1. But it a heck of and art.

Here is a pic of my stosk windshield frame against the chopped windshield. Glass man stopped by and said just bring him the chopped frame and he will fix us up. Tomorrow we cut it get it welded and glassed up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1709.JPG 
Views:	140 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	3098   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1710.JPG 
Views:	132 
Size:	84.5 KB 
ID:	3099   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1711.JPG 
Views:	173 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	3100  

Page 1 of 2 12 Last