Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube Watch us on Google+
Register

Default Open Headers Or Not Open Headers

Open headers or not open headers that is the question. Can anybody tell me the advantages and disadvantages of running open headers? I have always been told that running open headers all the time is not good on the motor. The engine cools off to fast, valves burn quickly etc. The more research I do the more I see people running open headers on their rods.I have come to find that te best research is getting it straight from the horses mouth, KillBillet, to me, is the best research I do. Which way should I go? I know on my bikes that if I run open pipes I seem to lose power. A simple bolt through the pipe makes all the differencs in the world. Would this be the same for V-8 engines also? To me you would need back pressure on a V-8 just like you do on a V-Twin. My rod will be a daily driver, should I install bypasses for when I cruize around town versus getting out on the interstate? Please give me any insight you can, Thanks

in the cooler climates .. you would run into a problem if they suck cool air back in.. damaging the valves.. the other fact is the noise... holy crap my 29 is so loud man you cant even talk to a passenger when they are sitting next to you... and when I took that drive across town i was light headed fromall the exhaust that got in the car.. if I were to finish the car I would put those cut outs so i could run it open for shows and stuff but for daily driving I would prefer a muffled system..

Run open headers, ticket magnet, don't complain. Closed system, make your friends, family and neighbors happy.

There should always be some back pressure unless your running full out all the time. Thats one of the reasons they make collector extensions, to tune the exhaust.

yea forgot about the neighbors... I have had a few of them give me very angry looks in the mornings when they come out with bags under there eyes cause I woke them up rolling in at 3 am

Default I always wondered

about the collector mufflers, or baffles they sell for race cars, and street apps, the race version has 2 plates, and the street has 3 plates. Still can keep the look but not so harsh a sound. Never heard them, guess I will have to buy some and try them some day. But it would meet the state standard here in Indiana as it is a full time noise reduction device, lucky for us there is no acustical standard in the law, so in court you can say you have mufflers.:D

My neighbors give looks also when I roll up on my bike. I just rev it up a little and yell WHAT? They should be used to the noise by now so that is not going to be a problem.

Check your local laws. In California, there's defective muffler, which is a fix-it ticket. Then there's modified exhaust - any system used to amplify or increase noise. This is a $150 fine and fix-it.

i run straight pipes. no problems with athorities here. may piss of some people going down the road. but i more than likely dont care. i dont have neighbors, and i keep the motor quite in some places. but not all eheheh

when i lived with my roomate. i used to drive his coupe, as his t bucket was his baby. id start that thing up outside at 5 am, louder than ****. neighbors hated it, called the cops once. officer shows up and says "nice car, kinda loud though aint it." I said "yes sir it is, its fast too.." Then i received a have a good day.
    Last edited by Loe; 10-09-2007 at 02:11 PM.

Open headers and/or pipes on the street:
    Pro: None. Open headers on a race car works because the whole engine is tuned to use them. Just sticking them on a stock motor just makes noise.
    Con: Too much noise for everyone. Unless motor tuned for the pipes, performance suffers. Tickets, tickets, tickets.

I run race car mufflers on my '27T roadster with sprint car like headers. They're pretty loud, but not like open and they ARE mufflers, officer.

The mufflers with removeable baffles that I know of are named Supertrapp. They are tuneable and can be made LOUD or pretty cool. You should check your plugs and adjust your carb jets anytime you ef around with your exhaust. That's why the bolt through the pipe helps your low end torque. It also helps burn out your valves.

Why not run a cut out on your head pipe? That makes noise, will probably not hurt performance a lot and can be closed up when necessary.

If the motor can breathe, there's no sound like open headers. Our circle burner motors ran just fine with open headers, no burned valves in ten seasons.

On a stock motor it's retarded, but that's just one more reason to run a hot motor . . . . . . right? ;)

For my '29, I think I'm going to run Supertrapps but I'm going to modify them to fit up into the collector so I can preserve the look of open headers and still keep the fuzz happy.