Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube Watch us on Google+
Register

Default Home Made Truck Cabs

This has most likely already been out there but I'm looking for pictures of home made truck cabs - for rat rod.
    If any buddy has done this or has pictures/thread they can share I would appreciate it.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Harpocat View Post
    This has most likely already been out there but I'm looking for pictures of home made truck cabs - for rat rod.
    If any buddy has done this or has pictures/thread they can share I would appreciate it.
    Thanks!
    I made mine from pieces of a bunch of different cars.

If you are thinking of just using flat stock, step away from the welder. I HAVE seen pictures and they never turn out well.

My approach will be to buy an S10 crew cab and cut the top off it, leaving the windshield in place. This will make a nice 4-person Lakes Modified type car that I can build with my grandson, passing on a plethora of engineering ideas that will otherwise die with me. Added benefit....clear title !!!!! Something like this little Lakes car, except with a longer cab to ride more people.....
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3175/...a2a2f0a400.jpg

Thanks for the info guys. I was planning on bending a square tube skeleton for the cab then skinning it.

OK, was farting around with the idea of making a chopped truck cab..... era 28-29 Ford (sort of) At least that was the measurements I was using. Wouldn't be an exact copy. - A lot of cutting and welding to bend that 1" square tubing. A lot to finish it up but a start.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture_1.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	438.3 KB 
ID:	144088  

superior montana on 1.25 acres out of town

That looks way better than some of the slab-sided ones in my opinion

One idea may be to build a model in wood. The curvatures are more easily formed than using steel tubes. Thin plywood can bend around a frame formed by using a jig or band saw and the economy is better than using metal. Shim to meet your approval and then tackle the metal with a better understanding of where the design needs to go.

alan

Alan, thanks that is good advice! I have been using wooden jigs so each side matches up the same.