Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube Watch us on Google+
Register

Thread: floor repair

Default floor repair

What wall thickness tubing do you guys use under floor of cab? Was going to use 1" X 2" on outer part by doors and back of cab and 1"x 1" in center by transmission. The sub floor I guess you could call it.

Ive used a combination of 1 x 1 x 1/8 tube and 1 x 2 x 1/8. Later on I found all the steel that I put into it to be a bit of overkill. But the floor on my 1940 Pontiac is solid and added greatly to frame rigidity.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trans tunnel.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	143756Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fuel cell in.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	143757

X2. The only additional suggestion I have is to use 16 gauge sheet metal for the floor. I used 18 on my first floor and had to get rid of some oil canning after welding it all together. I used 16 gauge on the next one and was a lot happier.

Quote Originally Posted by 40-Torepdo View Post
    Ive used a combination of 1 x 1 x 1/8 tube and 1 x 2 x 1/8. Later on I found all the steel that I put into it to be a bit of overkill. But the floor on my 1940 Pontiac is solid and added greatly to frame rigidity.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trans tunnel.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	143756Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fuel cell in.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	143757
    good deal, that's the size I was thinking of going with. Just wasn't sure about the gauge size.

Quote Originally Posted by alaska gasser View Post
    X2. The only additional suggestion I have is to use 16 gauge

sheet metal for the floor. I used 18 on my first floor and had to get rid of some oil canning after welding it all together. I used 16 gauge on the next one and was a lot happier.
    Thanks for the tip, I was planning on using 18, but will order 16. :)

Quote Originally Posted by cheese head View Post
    Thanks for the tip, I was planning on using 18, but will order 16. :)
    If you have any forming to do, 16 g is a lot harder to form the 18g is.
    What are you putting floors in? Gene

Quote Originally Posted by Gene View Post
    If you have any forming to do, 16 g is a lot harder to form the 18g is.
    What are you putting floors in? Gene
    It's a 46 Ford 1 ton cab X front end with a 40's dodge box built on 2 X 4 3/16" wall tubing. Mustang 2 front end with bags on all 4 corners. 5.3 with twin turbos X 4l80e. I will just piece in flat sheets so no bending will be needed. Will try to put some beads in it if my roller will do it.

To cut down on weight I used 18 gauge for flat and 20 gauge for formed parts. 18 gauge is the max limit of my bead roller (Eastwood) the 20 gauge is easy to roll.

Yeah, I have the Eastwood also. Used it on 18 Gauge before. Haven't used any 16 yet for anything.