Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube Watch us on Google+
Register

Default front straight axle questions

i was thinking about building my own front axle setup and was wondering if anybody had any advise on material sizes and what kind of spindles i could use from a junk yard car. im a fabricator for a living so i have access to most tools and materials. thanks in advance pics are very helpful

i am not sure what you are asking. are you talking about assembling a existing axle with new springs or literally machining new tubing for the axle boss'? then machining the axle boss' from solid steel and welding them on? if it is the latter, there is a guy that sells blueprints on the bay to make your own axle. i have bought them and they are quality prints. also, they are full size.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/05-GASSER-ST...nKt6bw&vxp=mtr

Probably about the newest vehicle you will find with king pins is going to be 1979 Ford pickup. Unless you are machining the back of the spindle off and welding on provision for a king pin. Then I would suggest something plentiful, like S10

Something I have seen done is take an old 4x4 front axle and remove the axleshafts then cut out the center section and weld in a piece of heavy wall tubing .That way you end up with modern disk brakes and ball joints on a straight axle.

Does anybody know the size of af I beam used for a model a front end. Is there other front ends like those that may be a little easier to find and modify to look and function like those

superior montana on 1.25 acres out of town

I know a G10 Chevy van from mid 60s is a beam with a drop already. It is a parallel leaf with spring pads that could be used "model a" style with adapter pads. Small Gm car lug pattern and if you were lucky to have the drums---finned cast iron.

Quote Originally Posted by grape ape View Post
    i was thinking about building my own front axle setup and was wondering if anybody had any advise on material sizes and what kind of spindles i could use from a junk yard car. im a fabricator for a living so i have access to most tools and materials. thanks in advance pics are very helpful
    If I were going to do this, I'd begin at Speedway Motors. No need to re-invent the wheel, they have everything you will need and it'll be less expensive and easier than trying to cobble up something from scratch.

Oh ok I just thought since this was a rat rod I might be able to fab it up myself rather than some bolt on stuff everybody else has on their car

Well, that is a common mind set, it's a ratrod so anything goes. Safety is still safety, no matter how you choose to embellish the car and lots of them you've seen and thing are cool, barely function and would be better categorized as rolling art work, not transportation.
    I bought the front axle in my rod for 10$ from an old Econoline. I bought weld on brackets from Speedway to mount it with buggy spring. Made my own trailing arms from some 46 Ford rears. I also made my own disc caliper brackets from the Speedway weld on, S10 calipers and Aerostar rotors over the original hubs. Used rotors but everything else new, I probably don't have $200 into my whole front end.

Thank you willowbilly3 exactly what I was looking for i will reference this a lot when I'm doing my front end