Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube Watch us on Google+
Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Type "rat infestation" into the search space and select "do you ever wish......"

alan

I have found most of my projects on Craigslist. I do a daily search for new projects. So far the most I have every paid for a car was $1200 and the lowest was $200. Now mind you I am not picky and the "less desirable" go for better prices. My 1940 Pontiacs are not the "desirable" 1940 Ford Coupe - but there in lies the beauty. At Car Shows they are not the norm. Who Wants Normal? The key is patience and knowing your limits. If you don't have the skills and equipment to fabricate just about anything - you need to reach that point first. Otherwise in five years you may be on Craigslist yourself selling your project... most of all - enjoy the hunt!

Quote Originally Posted by willowbilly3 View Post
    I find them by driving around and also a lot of people know I'm into old cars and tell me about ones they have seen. Often they are given to me, like this Dodge truck.

I just need to get out there and start beating the bushes and making some connections. Good luck with the truck!

Quote Originally Posted by 40-Torepdo View Post
    I have found most of my projects on Craigslist. I do a daily search for new projects. So far the most I have every paid for a car was $1200 and the lowest was $200. Now mind you I am not picky and the "less desirable" go for better prices. My 1940 Pontiacs are not the "desirable" 1940 Ford Coupe - but there in lies the beauty. At Car Shows they are not the norm. Who Wants Normal? The key is patience and knowing your limits. If you don't have the skills and equipment to fabricate just about anything - you need to reach that point first. Otherwise in five years you may be on Craigslist yourself selling your project... most of all - enjoy the hunt!
    I definitely have a lot to learn when it comes to fabrication, but I think that will be a great part of the experience of building a car - just learning all that I can about building one. The more unique is definitely where I tend to lie, but the first time I saw a late 30s Ford truck laying frame it was love at first sight lol

superior montana on 1.25 acres out of town

Some times you see one and it is cheap or free. Sometimes it was "Grampa's car" that Uncle somebody going to fix up. At least the scrap tanked and finally quit sucking everything up. One thing is certain. When you locate it. GET IT! Missed out on a complete Model A pickup when I didn't check it out. Went for couple hundred bucks.

Also remember, it doesn't have to be a barn or field find. Keep an eye on driveways and back yards, alleys, trailer courts. There are lots of bogged down projects around that haven't been touched for years and the owner (or more likely his wife) are tired of looking at it. On a couple drive-abouts yesterday and saw 3 different 42-46 Chevy pickup/trucks, 2 mid 30s chevy cabs, a 29 Model A sedan, nice 56 Buick, 60s Mustangs. Nice weather, lots of garage doors up for spring cleaning, be nosey,lol.

Or, you could pull your horns in and start with a mini-truck such as an S10 or S15. That's what I'm planning on starting with, an S10 dual cab and then chop the top off for a touring-type body so my grandchildren can ride too. The rest of the build will be patterned after a Lakes Modified Roadster.

I recommend spending a little more for something popular. Now most any truck cab can be made cool if done right. To me, nothing newer that mid 40s should be fenderless. And fenderless on S10 frames almost always look goofy because the radiator ends up out front too far. Build it like you were going to sell it, because chances are someday you will, no matter what you think now. Always buy a body with good doors and trunklid. Those are the hardest parts to find and a shell without them isn't worth squat.

You may need to think outside the box a little. I will make my own frame rails and mount a Gen IV Corvette front suspension ahead of the radiator and shell.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12