Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube Watch us on Google+
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1

    Default Where do you guys find your rat rod bodies?

    Hey everyone, like the title states, I'm trying to figure out where everyone finds their bodies for their cars/trucks. I live in SW Missouri and short of driving around all of the backroads here and hoping to happen upon the body that I want, I'm kinda lost as to where to start my search. And the odds of that happening have got to be slim to none. I've looked on eBay and my surrounding craigslist areas but everyone seems to think that they are sitting on some sort of gold mine. Any ideas or suggestions are welcomed with open arms! Thanks everyone.

    If this post belongs in another section of a forum, I'm sorry and I'm gonna use the "I'm new card". Please move to the appropriate thread if needed!



  2. #2

    Cool

    The days of stumbling across a roadster body for $100 are long gone. Thank all the TV shows for that! What kind of car are you looking for? The good news is.......you live in a part of the country where early cars are still relatively cheap! Compare some of the CL prices in Missouri to CL prices in California or the rest of the country! IIWY, I'd continue trolling CL in Missouri and nearby states, within driving distance. There's nothing wrong with cruising the back roads and keeping your eyes open, either. Also, a lot of deals are to be had at local/regional swap meets if you get there early enough.
    http://www.swapmadness.com/search/mi...wap-meets/all/

    Nowadays, it takes some diligence and perseverance to find rat rod bodies at reasonable prices. The old adage 'supply and demand' applies. These cars aren't made anymore. The demand is definitely there and the supply is absolutely drying up. Hence, ridiculous prices!

  3. #3

    Default

    Like mentioned above, CL and a bunch of side road driving will help a bunch. My T sedan body and my son's partial sedan body were CL finds while my T roadsters, A cowls and such were stuff sitting in a field I knew of since I was a kid. Good luck. Word of mouth is good too. Get to talking to local farmers and car guys.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2.3Turbo_T View Post
    The days of stumbling across a roadster body for $100 are long gone. Thank all the TV shows for that! What kind of car are you looking for? The good news is.......you live in a part of the country where early cars are still relatively cheap! Compare some of the CL prices in Missouri to CL prices in California or the rest of the country! IIWY, I'd continue trolling CL in Missouri and nearby states, within driving distance. There's nothing wrong with cruising the back roads and keeping your eyes open, either. Also, a lot of deals are to be had at local/regional swap meets if you get there early enough.
    http://www.swapmadness.com/search/mi...wap-meets/all/

    Nowadays, it takes some diligence and perseverance to find rat rod bodies at reasonable prices. The old adage 'supply and demand' applies. These cars aren't made anymore. The demand is definitely there and the supply is absolutely drying up. Hence, ridiculous prices!
    Thanks for your reply! I'm really looking for either an early 30's model Ford or late 30's Ford truck. And yeah I know that I live in a relatively cheap part of the States when it comes to things like this, I guess I'm just still a little salty that some people ask ridiculous prices. I'll keep on surfing around CL and see what I can find. There's a few old timers around here that I'm hoping to speak with and maybe get a lead or two. And I guess if I'm ever not in a hurry, taking the long way home can't hurt anything and keep my eyes open. And I'll definitely check out the local swap meets, I know of one or two off the top of my head and I'll look up some other ones in the area.
    Last edited by RustyNails923; 02-23-2017 at 06:17 AM.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sproket View Post
    Like mentioned above, CL and a bunch of side road driving will help a bunch. My T sedan body and my son's partial sedan body were CL finds while my T roadsters, A cowls and such were stuff sitting in a field I knew of since I was a kid. Good luck. Word of mouth is good too. Get to talking to local farmers and car guys.
    Thanks for the advice! I'm definitely planning on tracking down a few gentlemen that I know who've been in these parts for a very long time. I'm hoping they'll be able to point me in the right direction or put the bug in someone else's ear that I'm on the lookout for something. I guess I just haven't put in enough time yet to find the right body. The search continues!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Spring Tx
    Posts
    449

    Default

    Make tons of friends in hotrod community close to you and put the word out your looking for something good and affordable. I found 2 model a sedans for friends in 2 weeks here in Houston. And paid 2k for each. That's the bottom end of the going rates these days. I've seen some sedan body with no doors etc for 3k and coupe bodies are 4-5 now thanks to dumb reality tv shows. Beat the bushes brother and good luck
    1956 Dodge pickup, and 1931 Ford Tudor w/440 Mopar

    Outkasts CC
    Northside of Houston Tx.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    sacramento ca
    Posts
    88

    Default

    "...put the word out....."

    Place an ad in Craig's List under "cars and trucks" section as a wanted ad and describe what you are open to accepting ( ie '30s trucks, sedans, etc.) This is cheap. Also place an ad at local related and otherwise businesses for your objective (bulletin boards) A title is probably a critical item and worth at least $1000 extra depending on your registration regs.

    alan

    BTW craig's list is viewed for reasons other than purchasing items. I once found my bike stolen months earlier and now advertised by a pawn shop: value=$1500. The police and I paid them a visit w/ bill of sale in hand.
    Last edited by alangilstrap; 02-23-2017 at 04:22 PM.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hotrodkev View Post
    Make tons of friends in hotrod community close to you and put the word out your looking for something good and affordable. I found 2 model a sedans for friends in 2 weeks here in Houston. And paid 2k for each. That's the bottom end of the going rates these days. I've seen some sedan body with no doors etc for 3k and coupe bodies are 4-5 now thanks to dumb reality tv shows. Beat the bushes brother and good luck
    Yeah I'm afraid that what I wanted to spend on a body and what I'm realistically looking at spending for something that I want are gonna be two very different things. But we'll see I guess. Just gotta start getting the word out and hitting up some locations that might turn out to be lucky. Thanks for the advice!

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alangilstrap View Post
    "...put the word out....."

    Place an ad in Craig's List under "cars and trucks" section as a wanted ad and describe what you are open to accepting ( ie '30s trucks, sedans, etc.) This is cheap. Also place an ad at local related and otherwise businesses for your objective (bulletin boards) A title is probably a critical item and worth at least $1000 extra depending on your registration regs.

    alan

    BTW craig's list is viewed for reasons other than purchasing items. I once found my bike stolen months earlier and now advertised by a pawn shop: value=$1500. The police and I paid them a visit w/ bill of sale in hand.
    I definitely need to make a "wanted ____" post and just see what kinda crazy replies I get. Maybe something would actually be legit! And that's rough about your bike, but hey, at least you found it!

  10. #10

    Default

    I find them by driving around and also a lot of people know I'm into old cars and tell me about ones they have seen. Often they are given to me, like this Dodge truck.


 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •