Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube Watch us on Google+
Register

Thread: 'nother new guy

Default 'nother new guy

Hey guys,

Just checking in as a newb from Tennessee.

I need a truck for hauling a couple motorcycles around but there doesn't seem to be a single new truck on the market that makes me want to drive it. Especially while making 5 years of payments on a new $35K loan. So, I'm pretty sure I'm going to be picking up a project truck this summer that at least looks rat rod ish.

I've just gotten started researching over the last couple weeks but I have a fair idea of what I want already. And that is big fenders on something most likely no newer than the early fifties. I grew up with a body shop in my back yard and worked for my old man for quite a few years rebuilding totals and doing most of the painting. So I have some ability but I've made my living banging on a keyboard for the last 20 years. What I don't have is a place to do a big project or a year to be without a truck while starting from scratch on a build.

My plan is basically to find something someone already put some love into but can't finish for whatever reason. Something I can have driveable with a few weekends of work, if it isn't already when I find it, then personalize it and make it reliable enough to haul bikes a few hundred miles in any direction for long weekend trips.

The ultimate for me would probably be a fat fender Willys pickup from around 1940. But I don't know how realistic finding one I can afford is. From the little searching I've done so far what seems very realistic is an early 50's Chevy pickup with a tried and true 350 CI SBC.

Whatever I end up with I'm having thoughts of air bags so I can drop it but also possibly raise the front and lower the rear while loading bikes. That's the kind of thing you guys can expect me to be buggin you about soon.

-Chris

Welcome from New Mexico. I'm building a full custom '48 Chev p/u myself.

If you buy something someone else started, just make sure you see it yourself IN PERSON and don't just look at pic's. I bought a couple with just pic's and one was also "certified" by a rod shop close to the seller. That one was a piece of crap and the other had some serious poor quality workmanship. After that, I swore I wouldn't have one I didn't build myself.

Quote Originally Posted by alaska gasser View Post
    Welcome from New Mexico. I'm building a full custom '48 Chev p/u myself.

If you buy something someone else started, just make sure you see it yourself IN PERSON and don't just look at pic's. I bought a couple with just pic's and one was also "certified" by a rod shop close to the seller. That one was a piece of crap and the other had some serious poor quality workmanship. After that, I swore I wouldn't have one I didn't build myself.
    Thanks for the welcome. I do worry about workmanship on a project someone else started and put up for sell. I've already seen a few Craigslist ads that look like someone bought a rust bucket from a field somewhere and spent a few weeks dropping a worn out S-10 frame underneath and then listed it for $10K. I'm hoping I've got enough experience to spot crappy work when I look a truck over. And I don't plan to pay for anything I can't personally inspect pretty closely before handing over the money. That probably does limit my options to a somewhat small radius around where I live though.

I know some really good guys down in Alabama who are seriously into cars and I'm sure they would be able to help me find the right deal. But I already feel like I owe them for helping me out with a free place to fix and paint a crashed bike several years ago. Need to figure out a way to give something back before showing up again asking for **** but I don't think they have much use for well designed .Net applications and relational databases. In a couple months when I have some cash in hand I might drop in down there with at least some nice bottles of whiskey as a thank you.

-Chris

Sounds like a good idea to "drop in down there with at least some nice bottles of whiskey as a thank you." Keep your eyes and ears open and wait for the right one. If you do get a '48-'54 Chev p/u, get your parts, gaskets, etc. from Classic Parts. They are the cheapest and I've been happy with everything I've gotten from them.

Here's a link to my build if your interested.

http://www.killbillet.com/showthread...v-extended-cab