Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube Watch us on Google+
Register

Default Rusted artillery wheels. Usable? take a look.

I have a set of wide five artillery wheels I want to use for my model a but they had some rust inside. I removed the rust and wired brushed them aggressively with a wire brush on a grinder. The pits are very smooth now but will they hurt the tubes?
    What do you think?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0902.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	103.0 KB 
ID:	142897

I would sand blast them and if structurally sound , use bondo to fill and smooth the surface and paint with a good epoxy paint

after you paint them wrap electrical tape around them. they do that to bicycle rims to keep the spokes from digging into the tube.

Thanks guys!
    They were sandblasted and are solid. I think the pic makes them look worse than they are. The rust on the one pictured is the worst and only affects about 1/3 of the rim. The others aren't nearly this pitted.
    I picked up some rim flaps from Speedway but how in the heck do you mount tires and tubes with these things?????

Quote Originally Posted by straight-shot View Post
    Thanks guys!
    They were sandblasted and are solid. I think the pic makes them look worse than they are. The rust on the one pictured is the worst and only affects about 1/3 of the rim. The others aren't nearly this pitted.
    I picked up some rim flaps from Speedway but how in the heck do you mount tires and tubes with these things?????
    rim flaps ? never heard of such a thing, you got a link?

Here is a video from Coker tire. Shows install but not how to mount..
    https://youtu.be/LWwkVM5ddSo

superior montana on 1.25 acres out of town

Use baby powder liberally on tube and flap. It helps minimize the pinch

Quote Originally Posted by straight-shot View Post
    I have a set of wide five artillery wheels I want to use for my model a but they had some rust inside. I removed the rust and wired brushed them aggressively with a wire brush on a grinder. The pits are very smooth now but will they hurt the tubes?
    What do you think?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0902.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	103.0 KB 
ID:	142897
    That's not any worse than the rims I'm running on were. Been on the car since 2013 or 14.