Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube Watch us on Google+
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Steering and front axle

What gear boxes do they use for cowl steering? I've seen some old ford trucks that had it. I was wanting a straight axle with transverse spring and been looking at different builds trying to figure out a plan. Can you do the tv spring with wishbone or hair pins with a axle that had parallel springs? Never tried welding on 1 of them before, just wondered if it's possible, the truck front axles are easier to find. Tell me what the pros and cons are on the steering, I like the looks of the cowl set up.

I use a toyota pickup manual push bull steering box. Comes off a first generation pickup
    Clutter is the evidence of life!

https://www.minterfab.com/

I used an Econoline axle, narrowed it and welded on perches for buggy spring. Seems to have all held up well for several years. I also wanted cowl steering and studied a lot of cars and pictures. One thing you just can't get past is finding room for size 13 feet with a steering box where your feet need to be.

I made up brackets that bolt to the parallel spring perches and went with 4 link and bags, but one could do the same and make up tv hanger brackets. And i am in the process of getting my steering set up with a minniapolis combine steering box, already reverse operation( same ratio as automotive) but the ford boxes have a long output as well and are relatively easy to reverse.

Be sure to keep the drag link length the same as your axle radius arm so you don't get bump steer. Interesting fact: early cars were designed so any bump steer would pull them to the right, away from oncoming traffic. Vertical curves in roads are designed as parabolas so the suspension flexes as little as possible to minimize bump steer. More Coffee!

Thanks for the info. Whatever I build, I would like to have the stright axle and transverse spring, I think it just says HOTROD. I may keep my 40 chev coupe if things work out, if so, I'm going to change it over. Right now, it has MUS II that I done, but never liked it.

Forgot to ask, what are the best cars to look for to use their axle? Something that maybe would have the wish bones, think I'm right on that, 56.5 tracking width, or close, and be able to get disc brakes for. I have drilled and slotted 11 in rotors, gm calipers, for the Mus II spindles. I've only fooled around with muscle cars and drag cars, tubular A arms and all that stuff, so if I ask a really dumb question that is why.

I used a mopar manual box. Check out my build below.

You can use a reverse corvair box as well.

Think about what you are going to do for gauges and brakes and stuff like that. Under the dash gets really cramped fast. That steering box will eat up a lot of room. You will also have to make sure that it is well braced to handle the forces that travel up the drag link.

You could do a transverse leaf spring on a parallel spring from something like a full sized truck. You will have to make some sort of wishbones or radius rods to mount to the axle. or in general, you have to make some sort of way to mount the spring to the axle and then some sort of way to locate the axle to frame. The wishbones do this in a nonparallel axle set up and the springs do this in the parallel setup.

I would look for a regular straight axle and then split the wishbones. Then either decide if you want the spring over the axle or in between the bones in a suicide setup.
    Last edited by ratroder; 02-02-2017 at 05:09 PM.

Just left a friend's house, got a 38 chevy complete front end while I was there. It even has the gear box on it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast