Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube Watch us on Google+
Register

Default Hello from south of Detroit

I'm going to be building my first rat rod this spring.Found this site while cruising the interweb.I'm currently collecting parts for my build.It all started last fall when I found a model A front axle in a pile of scrap.Not to sure yet on the body but I do like the way the 30's and 40's trucks look.But I have seen a few Jeeps ratted out that were pretty cool looking.My budget is cheap and free.So we'll see where this go's.

superior montana on 1.25 acres out of town

Hello from Montana

I'm planning on this thing getting into the $3000 or less thread.If I really use my scavenging skills I should be able to do it for less then $1500.So far I have my motor and trans the front axle beam a very nice shifter the frame steel and some other odds and ends.The part that will eat up my budget is the front axle rebuilding.A set of 37 spindles and king pins is going to run $200 and the brake caliper brackets are another $100.I already have the rotors I want to use.I figure by the time that axle is mounted it will have eaten about $500 of my budget.

Welcome form washington. Sounds like a good plan. just remember, saftey is key. For you and others. Not saying it cant be done safely. Just dont cut corners to save a buck
    Clutter is the evidence of life!

https://www.minterfab.com/

Quote Originally Posted by lowbudget50 View Post
    Welcome form washington. Sounds like a good plan. just remember, saftey is key. For you and others. Not saying it cant be done safely. Just dont cut corners to save a buck
    I'm a pretty decent fabricator and scavenger.I use to race a vehicle in sand drags and mud bogs that was put together for under a $1000.$250 of that was the tires alone.She wasn't pretty by any stretch of the imagination but she ran fast and would pass tech inspection at any track.I really miss those days.