Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube Watch us on Google+
Register

Thread: pie cut hood

Default pie cut hood

Hey Marv, you did a great job on the chop and I was wondering if you could remove the hood ornament and pie cut the hood a little bit. I'm thinking about 1" but it may need a little more to match the flow of the car. Thanks in advance
    .Click image for larger version. 

Name:	46Caddychop35_zpsw9tnhc89.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	142617

I appreciate the compliment on my previous chop job. Removing the hood ornament is relatively easy, but I must ask a few questions before I could try to help you with your request.
    First, I believe I gave you an animated GIF which moved between 3 heights of the roof (uncut, down-to-the-tape-line, and slightly below-the-tape-line). Since I will not modify all 3 versions for you new requests, I need to know which height you are going to use???
    Second, please explain what you mean by a pie-cut of 1". I think I understand the term pie-cut (cut a wedge out of the side of the hood tapering from zero to 1" wide), but what are you trying to achieve???? Are you trying to lower the front on the hood or the back???
    Third, It appears in the photo that the hood is not completely shut-down in the back (a gap above the fender) and a small photoshop pie-cut of 1" would be useless if the photo does not show the car correctly. Is the hood properly closed in the photo???
    Check out my album of examples and note that I require donations for major artwork, logos and NON-rat projects, contact me: marvls3@comcast.net

1. In the first request there were two cut lines. One at two inches and the second at 3 1/2 inches or the third result showing the most cut. I'm going with the 3 1/2 chop or the last one.
    2. By pie cut, remove 1" from the front of the hood tapering down to 0" at the back. 1" may not do much to change the visual so 2' or 3" may be required.
    See generic picture of where I plan on cutting the hood.
    3. Your correct in that the is a gap at the rear of the hood because the front sheetmetal isn't bolted and adjusted. I had just set the body on the 76 Cadillac frame and realized that I have to switch front subframes because the wheel width is too wide in front to allow the wheels to turn if lowered to the correct height.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	t_one_side_done_151.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	142640

Check out my album of examples and note that I require donations for major artwork, logos and NON-rat projects, contact me: marvls3@comcast.net

Good job, I think you nailed it. Appreciate the quick response.