Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube Watch us on Google+
Register
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    superior montana on 1.25 acres out of town

Looking good and very well documented. Having a wife that wants to do anything together is awesome in the day of "technology" we live in.

Wow, so cool! I love what youre doing!

had a great couple weekends with the family, fixed up my office with a bed and finished the bathroom so a close family friend could stay with us a couple weeks, new job here in town, he is from tulsa.

got some work done previously, the daughter who steals the phone cord is on summer break and never home (mostly) so I picked up another cord.

pulled the doors apart, the windows were jammed and the passenger latch had sat in the field with the window slightly down and the door handle at a 45 degree droop. the latch refused to work, penetrant didnt work, 50/50 acetone/tranny fluid didnt work, heat didnt work.

I pulled the latch and soaked it in vinegar for about a week. it looked better but didnt work still. I ground out the attachments and started grinding out serious rusty crust.

I had to tack weld it back together since the way it was assembled previously was with little tabs that got smashed over to make the assembly. easy peasy though. I replaced the compression spring inside so the door handle would stay at 90 degrees, it is really smooth now

works great now, inside handle hooked up and working. need to install the new window weather stripping/felts because the way the assembly works is to put the window in the channel and then put in the regulator/door latch assembly. I picked up the window kit and some stainless 55 taillights from bowtie bits today.

pedals in and hooked up

you might notice I am missing about 1/3 of the floor.

I have another in the parts pile but rather than "paying it forward" like I always do and borrowing parts from the next truck, I decided to make the missing piece. I picked up a sheet of 20 ga and made a wooden buck to pound on.

I also got the kydex installed in the grille area to make the air scoop to the radiator, and picked up all the fittings to hook up the trans cooler. I also cut another set of 47-54 s10 mounts for a local guy, that took the rest of the day.

finished the passenger door up. new felts from repops that have a foam center section to really seal up, I cant wait to hear the wind noise.

got the regulator installed and the new glass. which is tinted, I thought it was film but its actually tinted glass. so I will probably have to pull the drivers window I have so they match. regulator works smooth with some lithium grease

my rebuilt door latch linkage works perfect too.

I made my small trans bump, if it looks like a spade shovel its because thats what I used for the rough shape.

visited a rusty impala at the behest of my brother back east, the same guy had this tucked away

yes its a numbers matching car, with what he said about is 20% of its original sheetmetal. it was a very rusty car but looks beautiful now.

I ordered whitewalls and steering parts, closing in on this one! found the broken brake switch parts finally, the one vacuum control switch is called a "cruise release" and took forever to track down.
    went to the hutch swap meet and scored belltech drop spindles and drop springs for the next truck! woot!

finished the floor repairs today. should work nicely. I pulled all the assembly screws except one accidentaly hit it with the welder and its permanent now.

whitewalls are here, man summit is outstanding for shipping, ordered late wednesday had everything friday noon! undecided on wheel color, decided to give the bronze metallic, the color I was thinking of using on the windshield frame because it kind of matches the other windows, a try. I like it

now cap? or no cap?

I love those impala poverty caps, I ran the identical cap (except they had buick emblem instead of the bowtie) on my 65 and loved the look, maybe I will get the tires mounted and see what I think. I also have a 60s set of baby moons to try, but I think the chrome acorn nut look and no caps will be what I settle on.

jeeze. with all the planning, I still make mistakes. tried out the borgeson collapsible shaft today too. perfect length, right u joints, everything good except

it only needs about 1/4" to line up so tomorrow I will modify the alternator support and take off the offending nut. it fits everywhere else just fine.

more to come! my oldest has come for a visit so I have weird work hours this week.

got the 4th wheel painted

and the frame

looks nice, yes I have overspray

pulled the drivers tinted window from the other extra door I had. it helps to have a deep yard full of stuff. got the drivers door and seals buttoned up.

I also got the steering linkage installed and working enough to ecstatically and unknowingly pump all the fluid in the box out on the ground because I was having fun swiveling the wheel. :lol: doom bass, thy have a name. it is joedoh.

here is a shot from getting the tires mounted today

I will have to trim the beauty rings to clear the weights. steel wheels, what are you gonna do?

I also need to find two more poverty caps, because this is gorgeous.

walmart used to be my go to for mount and balance, 12 bucks per tire with new valve stem. today I got charged more than twice that, almost exactly $100 out the door. never again, and I will no longer recommend them.

picked up my last cab from down south today, he was scrapping while I was there said they had taken 192 tons the two days prior and 100 the day before that. mostly combines and farm equipment. works out to something like $200 for a grain drill, insane when you say it like that. anyway he had my cab ready to go for me, I will miss going down there!

this one I think is a military 1945 cab, or has leftover military parts, the door handles are zinc painted black, and it has double wipers and a weird number plate.

it HAS a number plate but its rusted, I picked up some evaporust on the way home to see if I could recover the numbers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0394.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	121.6 KB 
ID:	144242 You are clearly smarter than me, next time I will remember to use the TOP of the cab with the cherry picker instead of using the floor! Thanks for sharing your build with us.

I am not that smart, I got the tip online haha

evaporust worked well, I couldnt read the serial number from the front but the imprints were there on the back, woooooot. thats the difference between a $300 parts cab and a viable project here.

tackled the VA system yesterday. its the mini system with defrost

had to make my own brackets, the ones they sent were pretty flimsy, but that is my only complaint so far. in their defense its a universal system, you should expect to make some brackets

they even sent grommets for the heater hoses, good guys VA

I put a layer of peel and seal on the firewall after buttoning up all the holes I didnt want and drilling the ones I did.

started hooking up wiring and had to find new cruise release and brake switches. something tells me I am missing some sort of bracket on the brake arm, neither push button reaches the arm and the brake switch wouldnt hit it even in a t bone.

I looked at some brake pedal pictures online and sure enough, BOTH brake pedals I have are missing the bracket. yay me. when I got this truck he had just replaced the column and the brake switch was broken, I didnt even think of a piece being missing. DOH

so I guess its off to the salvage.

remember my missing bracket on the pedal? I went looking through older pictures, in fact this one on the first page of the thread.

see it?

sheesh. I have looked in the garage, to no avail. tomorrow a trip to the salvage is required.

I also attempted to run the heater lines, I had retapped the broken connector on the intake but for the life of me couldnt find the suction side. looking at older pictures, it goes to the radiator. so luckily there is a plugged port on the water pump.

got all the lines run, had to move the lines to keep them from kinking. I read about a guy who used copper pipe bent to the correct angles and a heat gun to reshape straight hoses into custom heater hose, I will try that next time I think.

found more problems to solve. this is probably from the engine fire (project name as a reminder!)

tomorrow I seal the floor up for good! no more work needed under there. I have to straighten the power steering line so it fits the front clip and then I can put the front clip on too.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123