Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube Watch us on Google+
Register

Default Newbie from South Mississippi

My name is Justin and I'm from Pascagoula MS. Only 24 years old and this will be my first ever TRUE build. I've always been the guy that's supervised and micromanaged smaller jobs with my friends and such, doing mainly LS performance, Duramax performance, or fabrication work; I've decided it's finally time I get my hands dirty.

I've recently acquired a cab and a couble doors off of a 1953 Chevy 3100 pickup that has a clean SN tag and two bill of sales. And just a couple weeks ago, I marked everything off and chopped 4 inches out of the top. I've yet to stretch the roof or weld anything back down yet, but that's where I stand at this moment.

I've dubbed this rat rod "SINISTR" as that is how the tag will read (hence my name - SINISTR53)

I have a 5.3L and 4L60E combo out of a 2008 Silverado that I'll be using as the power house (and before someone jumps in about the dbw deal, I've got it covered, lol)

I've yet to figure out what I'm going to do front end or back half wise, but I'm wanting to find a straight front axle for cheap, make my own frame, and use a decent rear end. Planning to run a 4 link back half with coilovers, etc.

I also got a 16.5 gallon (or however big it is) keg from a friend that owed me a favor.

And all in all, I'm into what I've got so far for less than $1100 (not too bad in my opinion)

So, I've got LOTS of "plans" but no time or money to make anything happen. Glad to be here and can't wait to learn a lot from those of you that are willing to help out.
    Last edited by SINISTR53; 01-04-2017 at 05:57 PM.

Here's my '14 Sierra and the '53 cab on my way back home from Tupelo MS
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1207.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	107.5 KB 
ID:	142425
    Last edited by SINISTR53; 01-04-2017 at 05:58 PM.

And here's the cab as it currently sits with the 4" chop

Name:	IMG_1712.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	122.1 KB 
ID:	142426

Welcome and nice truck. I built a '48 with a 10 inch stretch, 6 1/2 inch chop, etc. Here is a link if you are interested.

http://www.killbillet.com/showthread...v-extended-cab

Gonna be a cool build to see!! You were rolling through my town, Tupelo MS!!

Well this is the progress that I've made so far.

I've been doing the majority of this work all myself with no help, so this has been a large obstacle; however, I have managed to make some chalk lines and followed up with soap stone lines. After figureing out where my lines were going to be and getting them drawn out, I welded some bracing on the inside of the cab so the roof sections wouldn't just fall to the ground. Then I cut the roof into thirds as seen in the pictures below. I lined up and welded a brace between the rear two sections for more strength. I then made some stress relief cuts and got everything ready to be welded up. (I'm no welder OR body work expert my any means; this is literally my FIRST time ever welding and doing any sort of body work, so this is a huge learning experience for me) Finally, I worked everything together to line up somewhat decent (afterall, this IS a rat rod, not a $500,000 hot rod) and welded the two rear sections together.

Overall, I'm happy with the end result so far.

I've also attached a picture of someone elses build that I'm going to steal the idea from. I really like the way the "cross stitch" look was done, so I've decided I'm going to do this with my cab as well.

Name:	IMG_3613.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	142949

Name:	IMG_3639.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	113.6 KB 
ID:	142950

Name:	IMG_3697.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	115.1 KB 
ID:	142951

Name:	IMG_3717.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	142952

Name:	IMG_3460.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	68.3 KB 
ID:	142953

OH, and I did end up deciding on what I was going to do with the front end and rear end for the build.

For the front end, I ended up dishing out the extra coin for a full Chevy 4" drop axle and disk brake setup from Speedway Motors. It was $1000 that I REALLY DIDN'T want to spend, but it'll be worth it in the end.

Name:	IMG_2596.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	142954

The wife was NOT happy to see all the Speedway boxes on our front porch when they were delivered 😂

Name:	IMG_3482.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	75.9 KB 
ID:	142955

The Chevy front end from Speedway comes with a 5x4.5 lug pattern, and a rear end from a Ford Explorer has the same lug pattern, so I've decided to go with an Explorer rear end. On top of the lug pattern being the same, the majority of them also come with 3.73 gears, a factory locker, AND disk brakes. The local u-pull-it yard has them every day all day long for only $150.

Lookin good.

Default Newbie from South Mississippi

Ive heard chillies can cross pollinate. Not sure if peppadews and jalapenos will have this problem. Did you manage to sort out your bell siphons? Only saw your message in December.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafaelgow View Post
    Ive heard chillies can cross pollinate. Not sure if peppadews and jalapenos will have this problem. Did you manage to sort out your bell siphons? Only saw your message in December.
    Now do WHAT?! lol