1953 Studebaker Couple into a fleetside pickup!! #21
Trans mount done, painted and installed! Pulled the plugs will do a compression test tomorrow. I think I am going to use a carb on it, to get it running.
Nice! you are getting there!
1953 Studebaker Couple into a fleetside pickup!! #22
Decided to lift the engine up an 1". Made a 1" spacer for the rear trans mount. The front mounts where more difficult. Had to add a wedge of tubing to lift the mounts up. Got them done. Pulled all the plugs out and ran a compression test. The engine is NOT in good shape, low was 60 PSI and high was 130 PSI, and a clacking sound as the starter cranked it. So I don't want to spend money on a 305" motor. Time to look for a 350".
1953 Studebaker Couple into a fleetside pickup!! #23
Got some work done this week. Went to the boneyard and got the serpentine brackets and pulleys. Got the U joints and steering link, then spent some time working out the details. Built a Heim joint mount, cut a slot so the heim can be adjusted. Mounted one front fender to check the ride height. Put the 4" lowering block in the back. I really like the ride height. Going to build the radiator mounts this weekend.
1953 Studebaker Couple into a fleetside pickup!! #24
Worked on the Stude today. Radiator mounts today. Made some brackets but didn't like them, scrapped them. Made a bottom tray from frame to frame. Started to fab the air channel sheet metal. The top air deflector will mount the top of the radiator.
1953 Studebaker Couple into a fleetside pickup!! #25
I put #25 in yesterday but it's not in there now! So here we go again. Spent about 3.5 hour hammering the valance back into something that resembles a valance. Mounted it to the fender, had to cut the frame horns back a ways, but still had to cut valance to clear the frame horn and steering box. reshaped the vertical template around the steering box to work better. Fabbed the bottom air channel sheet metal template. I have an extra 16" electric fan, so I thought I might mount it in the air channel to pull air into the radiator.
Got the A/C condenser in the mail today, will start to fit it tomorrow. I have to go to Denver to get some aluminum sheet to fab the parts.
1953 Studebaker Couple into a fleetside pickup!! #26
I found a S10 rear end on Craigslist Saturday, it had new brakes including wheel cylinders and all the springs plus new E brake cables, got it home did some cleanup on it, then painted it. I think it will need a pinion seal though. Sunday morning I put it into the truck. I put the 4" lowering blocks in but I only have 1.5" of travel and that's not enough. I still have stuff to add to the rear of the truck. So for now I'll keep them in. Today I repositioned the rear axle to center in the wheel well. That's all I got done today , my knee is killing me!
1953 Studebaker Couple into a fleetside pickup!! #27
I did some work on the Stude. Mounted driver side front fender, got the front fenders at the correct height then positioned the hood. My suspensions where right, when I lower the body now there isn't enough room for the radiator, misses it by a good inch now, damn it! So this is a good spot to put the Studebaker away for the summer. It's early but I had several things I need to do on the 39 Olds pickup to get it ready for summer and the east coast road trip.