Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube Watch us on Google+
Register
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Working on a model a fordor sedan

I'm building a 4 door sedan car is in rough shape no floor in it and it's out of square having tough time getting doors to line up I'm needing to square body does anyone have the dimensions of the floor I've need the distance from door pillar to door pillar

Come on guys somebody's gother to have a 4 door out the

Quote Originally Posted by Roddintherat View Post
    Come on guys somebody's gother to have a 4 door out the
    I have a '33 four door Chevy, so my measurements wouldn't help. I trued mine up the hard way without original measurements.
    Things are a little out of square, but it's pretty good. The Chevy's were mainly wood with very little metal, so mine was probably in much worse shape than yours.

Take your time with it and measure in diagonals first. I've had to cut and re-weld mine so many times, it's ridiculous. :)

These old things were aligned with hammers and 2 x 4's from the factory. If you have working hinges hang the doors and tweak and shove or pull so that you get them to swing and close nicely. Tack in rebar or angle iron diagonally to help with rigidity. Measure - measure and measure again so that you are getting a fairly consistent dimension with little to no door gaps. Tack in cross pieces once you have it all in "working order" as you weld it keep checking the doors to make sure they are remaining in true as welding makes shrinkage and can make a mess of your alignments if you are not careful to check.
    Can you post some photos of your project? That may also help us asses what needs to be done.
    Last edited by 40-Torepdo; 12-07-2016 at 11:17 AM.

I put a tudor back together that was split in half. I mounted the front half to a table, then lined the back up using the doors. I then secured the back down and proceeded to build the floor and attatch the top. Look like it never happened when i got done!
    Clutter is the evidence of life!

https://www.minterfab.com/

This thing is fighting me at every turn it is so out of wack but it is coming along this is my first build so there's a steep learning curve I've read allot of build threads and this site is helping tremendously I've realized one thing this car is not gonna be a show car but it'll be mine I've gotten the door gaps semi straight and I've stiffened up the car with 1x1 atleast is rigid now I'm trying to figure out the rear suspension this build is on a tight budget I'm making everything I can I'm going with a s10 front suspension I know most people think this is stupid and won't look right but I have a s10 to use as parts so it makes since with the budget the rear suspension won't work on it so I need something cheap to use I've looked at some 4 link weld in kits there only around 200 but most are for airbags so I'm not sure what to do and also I've never messed with 4 link so I don't know anything about the geometry of putting everything together in could use some ideas/ advice

It's not perfect but I'm happy with it I chopped it 4in and filled in the roof
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161125_115607.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	142150   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161125_115603.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	142151   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161121_185030.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	142152   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161121_185018.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	142153  

Look good so far! I understand the S-10 front end and you are on the right path - build it for you and for your desires not the approval of others. IFS on an open car does look a bit odd, but there are fenders-a-plenty out there if you dont like the look. Otherwise - press on! As for the rear suspension, it sounds like you dont have much experience in this department. Thats not a problem, just an opportunity to learn. I have an S-10 frame under my 36' Dodge 4 Door Sedan. I had to do a 1" mini tub to get the wheels to clear. You may have to do something like that in order for it to work (I dont know the rear dimensions of the Model A) A pre-existing leaf spring set up is simple and easy and the little 10 bolt will hold together under reasonable power. You may have to trim the frame to make it work - this was rather simple for me as I just grafted in 2 x 4 steel to the channel. Keep in mind to measure and measure and measure again and again before making anything permanent.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Frame Rails 2.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	123.2 KB 
ID:	142160Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Frame Rails.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	142161
    Last edited by 40-Torepdo; 12-13-2016 at 08:43 PM.

Found a 4 link kit on amazon cheap Top Street Performance
    CB5101 Steel Triangulated 4-Link Rear-End Kit anyone know if this will work on my model a

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast