Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube Watch us on Google+
Register
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Default

yep Dakota with a 440/727 drive train. man you sure did an amazing amount of work! whats on the rotisserie?
    Last edited by harvester of sorrow; 10-03-2016 at 07:57 AM.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Gene View Post
    Nice write up! I like your drive train choice, I'll bet it will be a lot of fun.

Sometimes, you can gain a little more steering wheel clearance if you remove the headrests off the seats, it lets them move back an inch or two, depending on what the seat back angle is. Also, Dakota's use the same floor pan as a Durango, so Dakota seats may offer a better fit, and floor match up then the full size Dodge truck will.

My 48 Plymouth coupe is on a Dakota chassis, and I have a 47 Dodge truck waiting for the right Dakota to turn up, maybe I'll expand that search for a Durango as well. Gene
    Hi Gene thanks! I'll be sure to check out the threads on your builds. I've seen the Dakota is a popular donor, along with Chevy s10.

I didn't even research this conversion before buying the Durango to be honest!
    Like I said I happened to see the conversion done a couple times by one guy and having seen it could be done I decided that was the path for me!
    I've never owned a truck, old or new or otherwise. Never had a hot rod or old American car, so this is all new.
    Thanks for the advice on the seats, I'll give that a try!

Seems the bench seats on eBay are rather pricey, so I'll see what I find at some local junkyards...

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by harvester of sorrow View Post
    yep Dakota with a 440/727 drive train. man you sure did an amazing amount of work! whats on the rotisserie?
    Yeah I've not really had a day off from the build since bringing the Harvester home! I was 180lbs then, I'm now 165lbs!

On the rotisserie is a sort of barn find 1960 Austin mini (pre Cooper)
    Very early numbers car.
    It needs thousands spending on new panels, new floor being the big ticket item. Going to be a loooong project compared to the truck.
    The PO, retired from the Navy in 1970, bough the mini from a farmer. Turned it into a race car and raced it in early 70s, he welded a thick metal sheet under the entire floor and fiber glassed inside, thus making a rusty sandwich! He fitted a rear roll cage, wider wheels and slicks.
    The front end was cut off to fit a fiberglass one, but I think that's where he abandoned the project, stuck it in his barn until 40 years later he stuck it on CL. I wasn't looking for a project or another mini, but I saw it and bought it.
    I got the British motor Heritage certificate for it and it's very early, would have been painted farina grey, white wall tires. It's got some quirky early production features in it too.

My plan, as it came without a motor, is to fit a Yamaha 1000cc motorcycle engine up front with FWD. outside and inside will be stock 1960s looking.

Obviously it won't be a long journey cruiser unless I'm sadistic! So the Harvester, with its Durango underpinnings, will make the perfect tow vehicle to take the mini about to shows/track days etc...

4. Default

that's awesome! looks like you have the skills to pull it off.

5. Default

that's awesome! looks like you have the skills to pull it off.
    Cheers!

Excuse my ignorance, I haven't been around the classic American stuff very much, is 440/727 a Chrysler engine powertrain combo?
    That should make good power then?!
    Have you got a build thread going I can look at?

6. Default

yes that's a powertrain. 440 big block Chrysler and matching trans. I'm running a ford 8.8 explorer rear dif with posi and disc brakes. I haven't started a build thread here since I only have internet access while at work. there is a facebook page that I have sort of a build page its called international harvester of sorrow. I really need to start one here cause I could use a lot of input.

7. Default

I just made a quick build thread

8. Default

I just made a quick build thread
    Cool, I just read it, looking great!
    Keep up the good work buddy

9. Default

I don't have a big update yet, I've just been busy at work, and still have the plague.
    But I fitted the driver side running board and started on the passenger side.
    I need to get some pictures and make a proper update.

Other news, I've had electrical problems. I stupidly decided that I knew what I was doing and forgot that I don't know much about electrickery 😟
    I wanted to separate the wiring for the rear lights from the rear doors and tailgate wiring, so cut a fair few wires at the front.
    Now the power seats and adjustable pedals don't operate 😟 And the driver seat is stuck in some upright bad position.

I've got a service manual and the wiring diagrams. And checked the wiring I cut and they terminate at the rear door and tailgate connectors so cutting them should not matter. But still no power at seat.

I did some more reading tonight and I read that the memory seats run on a can-bus system which is hooked into all sorts of other systems such as the airbag system.
    so I'm going to look into that..

Grr what a mess, I should have just kept the wiring as is, coiled it up and left it behind the seats....

Welcome to the new world of automotive electronics. These days, everything is tied to something else, and probably controlled by an on board computer.

Back in the good old days, if you wanted power seats (or other accessories), you pulled a battery hot (or a key on hot) wire off the fuse box, and ran to the seat switch, and then made a ground wire to finish the circuit.

Your choice is to be concerned about all the stuff they have attached to the power seat circuit, or just run new wires to power what you want to work. Are you really concerned about having functioning air bags? I believe I would want to be sure they don't work! Gene

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast