Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube Watch us on Google+
Register
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I plan on leaving it the weathered white for a while. Once peole are tired of it in old faded white, I'll look at painting it. At some point I would like to dress it up and paint/pinstripe it. My plan would be to do some kandy pearl lace design on the roof, and a two tone paint with some striping down the sides. I printed a black and white picture of a van that I got my idea from waaaayyyyy back, and colored/pinstriped it myself. Below is the eventual design I would like to see, minus the flamey logo.

Picked up some sheet steel for the tank baffles. I placed one sheet under the cut out portion of the tank and scribed the corners so it would fit.

And then I cut two pieces. Sorry for the blurry pic. These will be the vertical pieces to slow the sloshing from side to side.

Then I measured for the horizontal piece to go between the two vertical pieces, cut, test fit and welded them together. These will slow the sloshing from front to back.

then I put the piece into the one half of the tank

and thought...gee, the vertical piece isn't doing much good at the end of the tank, so I decided to invert my design and press on. In order to secure the two pieces together, I drilled a small hole in the center of the flat piece and tack welded the two pieces together so they don't rattle.

From here I had to massage, grind and bang it into alignment so the tank would go back together. Pretty much as I was crossing the finish line welding the tank together, I ran out of welding gas, so I put it in the van to see how it would look. It may shimmy left or right so it looks centered, and I have to finish with the bomb "fins" on the end of the tank. I also cut the foot off the bottom of the tank so it is more rounded and I need to remove that guard looking thingy where the valve usually is on those tanks.

I have a couple of visions for the tank. One is fabricate some kind of frame above the tank that comes off the IRS subframe. I want to try and give the appearance the tank is mounted to the frame like a bomb is mounted to the underside of a wing, of course, the frame will be covered. My second design thought is to weld the tank to the existing frame rails with some 1/2 x 1/2 angle so it looks like it is just sitting there. Then I'll get a large, old, ratty, oily ratchet strap and wrap it around the tank and attach to a mount above the tank. This idea is two fold; one is a cleaner appearance, and two the ratchet strap will hide the weld seam so it looks more authentic. Thoughts??

WP
    Last edited by Wirepuller; 06-29-2016 at 10:06 AM.

Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow

I vote make make the tank look like its just kinda sitting there loose and all willy nilly like but firmly attached. But you dont want to weld the tank directly to the frame... i may not be following what you said... but want to be able to remove the tank.
    Decided on an engine yet?

Not too much progress on the project lately, as another project took over my life for the last 6 weeks. We decided to gut/reno the kitchen and I'm just about done.

Before:

After:

But I did manage to squeeze in some garage time this week and finished up the steering. The steering wheel is from a 60s Fiat, couldn't tell you what model, sorry, it was wiggle room only under the van, so pics aren't the greatest.

WP

Been researching how to make bomber seats. I plan to put four bucket seats in the van and one bench seat over the IRS. I've got the mock-up complete. I plan to bead roll the pinstripe into the seat and the straight lines are just stiffener beads. I'm going to dimple the holes I have drawn in and I am going to make simple padded seats covered in Mexican blankets.

I also started collecting more parts, and I've deviated from my air ride plans. I've been talking to a local guy who's big into the air ride and I've decided to use a Slam Specialties 3/8" manifold, and I won't be running copper now, but the flexi-hose. I'm not sure how I feel about this yet, but he has assured me the new style connectors hold air. I couldn't entirely toss the copper lines in the trash, so I think I may sleeve the flexi-lines in the copper pipe, just for looks. Here's the manifold.

WP

Default Airline

Hey man check into the hose that semis use. My buddy works for a big compilation that has tons of trucks and he said what they use is the best you can get so you don't loose psi. I'll ask him the name and put it on here for you.

Looking good by the way.

Thanks BStory!

WP

Dot air line, you can get it any semi place like peterbuilt or cummins. Use the quick release dot fittings, they seal great and easy to use. I have done 3 systems this way now with absolutely no problems
    Clutter is the evidence of life!

https://www.minterfab.com/

nice build man.....this thing is dope!
    http://www.killbillet.com/showthread...433#post354433

IG: WHITEBOY707
    D SERIES TRUCK PAGE IG: D__Squad

Any updates on this? I really like what you've done great job. Keith

I live in the frigid north of Alberta, Canada and my garage is not heated....so no, not alot of progress. I have been stocking the garage with some new tools and parts so I can get started again around Mid March, April-ish. Thanks for checking in and stay tuned!

On a fun note, I got my personalize license plate yesterday!!

WP
    Last edited by Wirepuller; 01-25-2017 at 07:41 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast