Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube Watch us on Google+
Register

Default Leno's 50. A Father/Son build

Name:  Lenos50.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  18.2 KB So this is the truck around the mid-fifties. Like I said in the my (our) introduction, I have owned this truck for 24 years and have done nothing with it. The motor was completely stuck. Now amount of magic fluid or clutch popping would break it free. The truck had been on blocks since 1962 when the owner committed suicide. It was on display at a local private museum. When most of the family, who ran the museum, died the estate held an auction and my Mom picked up this truck at the auction. The previous owner was quite a guy. As close to a local version of Ernest Hemingway as you can get. When my son was very little he would go into the back pasture where I keep my herd of iron and he play in the truck. He asked one day if he could have it. He was probably 8 or 9 at the time. I said he could and that was that. Fast forward 6 or 7 years and my son is in driver's ed. Now things are serious. He asked me one day if we could drag the truck up to "the shop". We hooked Leno's 50 to the tractor and after a 20 some odd year hibernation, a new life for the truck was underway. This is the ongoing story of the Leno's truck. I would like to thank all of you for ideas and inspiration. I would also like to thank my son for his passion for cars, life and school. I am not easy to work with. Both my son and I will be posting in this thread. Someone please let us know if this is a forum felony. Thanks!

The plan for the truck is to keep it real. It has major cancer, which is cool. It needs floors, rockers, kick panels, toe boards, inner and outer cab corners, A and B post patches blah blah. The bed is gone, easy fix. If you look at the picture above, the whole strange deal in the back was a surround that Leno built to haul his horse. Leno was a painter, diver, WWII veteran, stone mason, terra cotta artist. This truck was his work truck and some of his tools were still in the boxes he built on to the bedsides. There was a hat of his, numerous invoices for stone and fireplace work he did for local families etc. My son found a VW key in the truck as well that belonged to his other pride and joy, his VW Karmann Ghia.

At any rate, we will get some progress pics up here soon. The plan for the truck is straight forwardish. Fix the rust that is structural. Leave the paint(s) as is. Definitely save the art work. Set it on an S10 we got from another car guy for $0, Plug in a slightly used LS 6.0 that I picked up for $200 at an auction, clean up the interior so my son can actually talk a girl into riding with him, put it down low on the cheap and drive the hell out of it. This is a low dow show...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0791.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	130.1 KB 
ID:	138337Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0792.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	135.9 KB 
ID:	138338Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0793.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	138339 Pics of the S10 frame being modified to fit. We did a cut and flip of the rear shackle from side to side to lengthen the frame and moved the front spring mounts further back on the frame and boxed the whole thing. Warning I am not a professional fabricator!

Thanks for looking!

Current project 1950 Chevy 5 window, Lowered S10 frame, Junkyard 6.0 LS, sportin' original paint(s), Barney Rubble special edition

1955 Olds 98 Hard Top sedan, 324

1960 Chevy Apache SWB

1966 F100 SWB

2. Default

looks like you have the tools , the knowledge and the shop necessary for a build of this magnitude . Have you got the title , inspection and insurance covered ? Keep us posted .

We have titles for both the 50 and the S10. Wa adopted the SEMA model legislation for home built cars/hot rods etc. From what I understand as long as you have detailed reciepts or titles for all of the major components of your donor vehicles you are good to go. You have to take them out to the WSP facility after making an appt. and they get inspected. I have a good friend who is a car guy as well as a trooper and he has walked me through the process. When all is said and done it will be a registered as a 1950 Chev with the original VIN. Insurance? Well that is just going to be expensive but worth it. I want my boys to have the same experience that I was able to as a kid. I still have my 1968 mustang that I drove in High School that I am sure my parents paid ridiculous insurance rates on. Thanks for the reply...

Todays goal: Get the rest of the cab sheet metal tacked together. Drivers rocker, Toe Boards, floor pan and outer cab corner.

My son Jack patching a little rust in the A post...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2672.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	116.2 KB 
ID:	138346

A post hanging in space with a little POR15 and Zinc weld through primer...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2677 (2).jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	123.5 KB 
ID:	138345

Can anyone tell me how to get my pics to orient correctly? I have tried rotating them before uploading. I am using my phone to take pictures. Every time I try something it has a mind of it's own. Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2653.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	138343   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2674.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	119.9 KB 
ID:	138344  
    Current project 1950 Chevy 5 window, Lowered S10 frame, Junkyard 6.0 LS, sportin' original paint(s), Barney Rubble special edition

1960 Chevy Apache SWB

1966 F100 SWB

Name:	IMG_2687.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	138362Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2688.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	138364Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2689.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	138363

1960 Chevy Apache SWB

1966 F100 SWB

The above pics was today's progress. Starting to look like a cab again!

1960 Chevy Apache SWB

1966 F100 SWB

It's been a long time since an update... since January not a whole lot has happened to the truck as baseball and school have been taking up tons of my time. However, I have my cab mounts almost all the way welded up, thanks to time off during spring break. We also got into the wallet a little at the Portland Swap Meet where we purchased some brand new steelies and tires from coys wheels. Easy to say those wheels are the most bitchin' birthday present yet! We also scored a chev 350 and turbo 350 trans for $250 bucks, and now I have a powerplant. We decided carbureted would be the way to go, and would be cheaper to add power too, as well as easier to work on. Hoping to get some work done over the weekend!

Glad to hear you found some needed parts and are back at it.

So I have been posting on the wrong thread for a little while by accident, so I thought I'd move those posts over to this thread. Still kind of figuring the website out. Here are some of my posts:

Okay, so to bring everyone up to speed on the project Ill start with summer 2016. This is the aforementioned son writing this by the way. Anyway, I was certain that I was going to finish the truck by the end of the summer, which obviously did not happen, however we got a ton done. The cab was super duper crusty, and we ended up replacing the floors, kick panels, rockers, inner/outer cab corners, and lower door supports. So much for low buck lol. Rust repair was a serious drag, but here are a few pictures of the progress:

Trying to figure out the pictures on this thing, having some trouble, so apologies if it doesn't work right
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails

1960 Chevy Apache SWB

1966 F100 SWB

The pictures aren't copying over from the old posts, so here is the link to the other thread if you would like to see the pictures.

http://www.killbillet.com/showthread...1-All-In/page2

1960 Chevy Apache SWB

1966 F100 SWB