Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube Watch us on Google+
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Jordy - Your average 37 Tudor Sedan 4x4 build - Revision II

First a quick recap.
    A few months ago I picked up the 37 Sedan body for $100.
    Then picked up a 93 V8 4x4 Grand Cherokee for $300.
    Combined the 2 on a home made frame, and had it sitting on the ground.

Rather than repost the photos, the original vision was taking place here
    http://www.killbillet.com/showthread...s-and-a-Welder

Now I figure since it was 4wd (and I just recently traded my Jeep in for a new tow vehicle) that I should go on up with it and make it my new offroad vehicle.

I got the new rear suspension links done and under it today, so I pushed it out of the garage for a second to get a feel for how it will look.

Now I need to get some front wheels, so I can finalize the front frame design and get the front end under it and it will at least be a roller.

I present to you the new vision.

My son approves

superior montana on 1.25 acres out of town

Nice...Very Nice!

So I was able to get a little work done.

I was able to modify the front of the frame modified, and the front end put in place and mounted. Got the power steering box mounted. The drag link is currently too long, so I need to shorten that, and I am not going to make the panhard mount until I am at full weight.

Mounted my new fuel cap by the side back window, and removed the fuel injection intake and got a nice carbureted intake for the Magnum. (Had a used Edelbrock carb, and air filter on the shelf in the garage, so reused those)

I have a nice RCI fuel cell, and some tail lights coming Monday.

Now onto todays work.. I got some front wheels from my wife for Christmas, got the tires mounted and pushed it out of the garage for a good look.

I have been debating on what to do for the front end..

First I tried the 33 Buick grille..

Looked OK from the front, but looked like crap from any other angle..
    I couldn't push it back because of the power steering box, and I didnt want to cut the grill around it..

so I tried out the stock 37 fenders and cut the hell out of them

Like the fenders alot and you could add some grill bars maybe. But won't it be hard to have clearance for offroading with fenders on?

Ya, I will come up with something for the grill. For the fenders, the donor was a ZJ, an has 8" travel shocks. I designed it to have 4" of up travel and 4" of down travel.
    Once I get it at full weight I will check the flex and look for contact. If I have any problems I will either set the bump stops lower, or will cut more fender (you would not believe how much I already cut out of them)

superior montana on 1.25 acres out of town

Grill shaped something like 40 Ford would look good. Fenders nail it.

knocked out a quick homemade grille today.
    (purposely not perfect)

Ok, got to play a little bit this weekend.

Let me address the headlight mounting first.. When I was trying on the fenders to see if I liked them, there was already a hole in both fenders.
    I hung the headlights from these holes, and it looked half way decent (My plan is to make filler pieces under the headlights to bring them out to the fenders,
    and possibly mount the turn signals there.. we shall see..)

For now I was thinking of ways to hide the mounts.. and this is what I came up with... Copper tube to loop it around back into the fender

​​

Then I ripped the fenders back off, and tore the engine down

replaced the head gaskets, water pump, mounted the new carbed intake, carb, new distributor (had to because swapped from EFI to Carb)
    power steering hoses, etc..

I also mounted an old Harley key in the dash, and a small overhead console with a push button start, and 2 switches I'll use for the fuel pump and electric fan.
    Started figuring out the steering shaft.

Used some motorcycle chain as tank hold downs (need to remove and protect tank with some rubber strips or something.)

Got the battery tray mounted, whipping up some battery cables tomorrow.. (left pass side manifold off until I connect cable to starter)

Then I think I need to run the fuel lines and it should be about ready to fire up.

Small update.

This past weekend I was finally able to score a drivers side rear fender and windshield frame for this thing.
    I also picked up a radiator and twin electric fans from the good old pick n pull.

Over the last 2 weeks I have just been sneaking out to the garage about an hour a day.

I was able to get the engine buttoned up, put the plug wires on, the manifolds.
    Had to drill, tap, and plug the heater port on the water pump.

I did manage to finish the battery cable and start running the fuel lines.

Also finally got the transmission crossmember mounts welded in place.

today I ordered all new door hinges, bear claw latches, etc. Hoping to have working doors soon!!

New rear fender mounted, and the tail lights mounted.

This morning before work I started making some fillers to take up the gap around the headlights

Awesome build! I have always wanted to do a 4x4 rod. Are you thinking of installing a roll-bar?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast