Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube Watch us on Google+
Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Cool 52 L-110 International Build

Finally picked it up and have official paper work in hand so I thought I'd do a build thread on it. This is my first "complete" ground up build.

Truck is a 52 L-110 series International pickup (Thanks Farmboy for Helping me Identify and find the Vin Plate)
    Upon Pickup the truck was nothing but a shell. Minimal cancer in the top corners.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00Z0Z_8fkYvPYWsFx_600x450.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	136612

Guy I picked it up from just happened to have a 57 Two ten series frame on the side of his house. One thing led to another and I got both in the deal since he just wanted his yard back.

Name:	IMG_2297.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	104.9 KB 
ID:	136613

Started putting my motor together iv had laying around waiting to be assembled. Gen V 454 bored .30.

Name:	IMG_2308.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	136614

Name:	IMG_2309.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	107.6 KB 
ID:	136615

Picked up a set of 63 Fleetwood Cadillac rear quarter panels from a cool kat in Boston.
    Now to find time to make the first cut.....

Awesome! Glad you got it figured out. Can't wait to see some progress.

Finally got around to chopping the top. kept with a modest 4" as I fully intend on driving more than just down the street to a local car show.
    Taped her up and measured at least 20 times on each piece of metal before I cut it.

Name:	IMG_2330.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	136722

Once I was confident on the measurements and had everything taped off it was time to brace it. Now looking back I realized there were quite a few better ways I should have done this but oh well, Lesson learned. Oh and for those building a split window Truck... Dont trip over the braces getting to the back section... Just a word of advise.

Name:	IMG_2331.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	136723

AT this moment I was looking over everything and just staring at it for about 20 minutes asking myself if I felt sure of everything.

Name:	IMG_2332.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	136724

Lastly she is cut. Sorry for the not so great photo's as by this point i had already put about 9 hours worth of work into it between doing an axle swap and measuring, etc. Thus she is cut. my measurements came out perfect and I have perfectly oval rear windows. Couldn't be happier. Now to get it welded into place and cut it down the center to stretch it!

Name:	IMG_2335.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	136725

I want to see a side shot of the 4" chop....I've been back and forth between 4" and 5" but I'm 6'2" so I need lots of room but want it to look just right at the same time lol.

Exactly why I stayed with a 4" I will be going over there tomorrow to start working on the pillars and getting them to line up so ill grab a couple more photo's then. I am 6'2" as well so I found a frame that sat inside of the body skirts so I didn't have to "Channel" the body. Instead all I need to do it relocate the body mounts with some bolts and hockey pucks.

I was going to do a 5" but the back window was my main deciding factor as 4" lines up the rear windows to be perfect ovals instead of giving it the "chinky eyed" look. (seen it called that on a couple other forums.) I have seen guys also cut the rear 4" and the front 5 or 6" to get the front window smaller but thats a lot more work thats really not needed in my book. 4" looks great as far as I can tell and I can still fit my Humvee seats in them with 5 point harnesses. Hopefully everything goes smooth tomorrow so I can get it done in a decent amount of time.

This is the best I have at the moment.

Name:	IMG_2338.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	136888

Sweet! I'm itching to get back to mine. I've got to chop mine in the body line because it's rusted through all the way around. I'll likely have to finess it and fill it with braze all the way.

Well crap. First roof chop was going swimmingly up until right meow.... spent the past few weeks trying to figure out what the easiest, cleanest, and cheapest. (I know, these never go in the same sentence) However here is where Im at. Got the roof chopped and cut clean 4" so the rear windows are perfect ovals. I also took into account the spacing the roof will need to be gapped that way the pillars match up.

What I did not take into account was the width of the pillars and the angle change between top and bottom of the pillars.

Name:	photo 1.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	137623
    So if I line one side up to the point of matching perfectly the other side is off by about an inch or so.

Name:	photo 2.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	137624

Here is how she is sitting at this moment.

Name:	IMG_2366.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	164.2 KB 
ID:	137625

Getting there but oh so, so far.

Name:	IMG_2345.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	103.8 KB 
ID:	137626
    Don't laugh, your daughter might be in this car.

Well I'm not positive, but I think maybe you made your cut too close to the roof and should've cut the 4" out of the exact center of the A-pillars. Anyhow, my opinion would be to just make some relief cuts at the bottom and the top and pull the pillars in 1/2" on each side.

There are lots of ways to chop a top. It's kind of hard to give advice without actually seeing it in person. One option you might consider is to use a thin cutoff disc and run a cut down the middle of the bottom posts to near the bottom of the post and gently spread the sides until they line up on each side and use a small pie cut piece of metal to fill the void. small tacks and moving around will help not to distort the metal. use a small straight edge to keep everything straight.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast