Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube Watch us on Google+
Register
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Default

I haven't made much progress this week, as I've been having too much fun being on vacation with my oldest daughter, Mira (almost 15 yrs. old). Mountain biking, gun range, animal park, etc. We've had a great time together.

(Single-speeding my Surly fat bike.)

(Mira's results firing a 9mm Glock 43 for the first time. The kid is a darned fine shot!)

I do have a couple small updates. This electronic Service Manual (found free on one of the Cummins forums) will come in incredibly handy while rebuilding the '95 Cummins/47RH-powered truck. Service procedures, torque specs, troubleshooting, blah, blah, blah.

I also picked up a few new small parts from the dealer (I LOVE my significant dealer discount, even though parts are still spendy)...
    1. New torque converter bolts
    2. Engine oil dipstick; original one is cracked at the "T-handle".
    3. Electric 4WD indicator switch (P/N 0513 4375 AA,) for the '01 NP241 DHD transfer case, which replaces the original vacuum switch.
    Last edited by 1x1_Speed_Craig; 08-16-2015 at 04:35 AM.

superior montana on 1.25 acres out of town

We all tend to drift on the builds. I am the worst as I keep letting life rule my "spare" time.
    2 comments
    Fine shooting to be sure and holy smokes are those huge bike tires! Look like they could fit my TT600. Gotta be a leg workout for sure!

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by 23dodges10 View Post
    We all tend to drift on the builds. I am the worst as I keep letting life rule my "spare" time.
    2 comments
    Fine shooting to be sure and holy smokes are those huge bike tires! Look like they could fit my TT600. Gotta be a leg workout for sure!
    Thanks! I thought so, too. Yes, the bike tires are huge. It's a bit of an adjustment after riding a 20ish-pound single speed for years (this bike is closer to 38 lbs.). It's also a single speed, so it's a great workout.

We moved the cab up to the front garage earlier this week in preparation for the cab install on the Super Duty frame.

The FC cab is now leveled on the dolly fore & aft. I started taking several reference measurements on the FC cab and '08 Super Duty frame so I can start mocking up a temporary front crossmember.

As of earlier today, all glass is removed, original fender flares are removed, and the cab is now level on the casters/dolly.

Rotors are now blasted & painted with caliper paint (they'll be turned at some point before final install). I also bought Grade-8 bolts, and (loosely) mounted the Warn hidden winch brackets.

The front dually adapters are now blasted & powdercoated satin black...pretty!
    Last edited by 1x1_Speed_Craig; 08-16-2015 at 04:36 AM.

This is going to be a nice one in the end. I really wish I painted before assembly. I don't have the patience to do the same thing twice.

It will be interesting to see how you make the shock towers work in the seat / door area of the cab.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by 23dodges10 View Post
    This is going to be a nice one in the end. I really wish I painted before assembly. I don't have the patience to do the same thing twice.
    Understood! Mine will have to be assembled & disassembled a couple times, I think, due to the unique/custom work required.

Quote Originally Posted by sixfootdan View Post
    It will be interesting to see how you make the shock towers work in the seat / door area of the cab.
    They should nest into the wheel wells OK. The stock shock FC shock towers do the same thing, actually.

7. Default

First, after careful consideration, I decided to sell the aluminum flatbed I bought last winter. Instead, I'm now looking for an 11-foot service body, which will work much better for the equipment we want to travel with. I'll custom-build panels between the service body and back of the cab, and around the mid-engine set-up. The biggest challenge will be figuring out how to paint the service body to blend with the cab. If anyone knows of a nice, used 11-foot service body, I'd definitely like to hear about it.

My leather interior bits (mix of Jeep Commander and custom pieces) continue to come together.

My custom leather sun visor covers are in-the-works (early stages...they'll match the Commander seats, and new leather arm rests). The font for the "Jeep" logo cutout matches that of the stamping on the front of the FC cab. My co-worker, Clode, does GREAT work.

The visors are being done by my same friend who did the custom arm rest covers.

Last edited by 1x1_Speed_Craig; 08-16-2015 at 04:38 AM.

8. Default

Another affordable (and increasingly rare) 47RH auto transmission found its way to me last week...this one a 2WD version. This one only has 114K miles. I'm hoping it's in good-working condition, as it has low miles, and can be converted to 4WD with parts I already have. I'm now up to two (2) 47RH 4WD transmissions, and one (1) 47RH 2WD version.

At some point, I'll probably sell off one of the 4WD versions, if anyone's interested before I throw it up on Craigslist and some Cummins forums.

I also did some more prep/paint work on the passenger frame rail today (inside & out). Once the driver side is done, I can get the radius arms bolted back on, and get the front axle reconnected to the frame. It's not major progress, but it's progress nevertheless.

Last edited by 1x1_Speed_Craig; 08-16-2015 at 04:39 AM.

9. Default

My wife, Amy, and I just got back from a wonderfully-relaxing vacation in Michigan's Upper Peninsula—hiking, checking out several waterfalls, and just all-around relaxation. Little did I know that our vacation would have some cool FC-related bonuses.

First, I got a text from Arizona-based FC guru Jesse Ybarra that the special order of FC windshields he facilitated for several FC owners is now in. It sounds crazy, but Pilkington is the only known manufacturer of FC150 & FC170 windshields. In fact, decades ago, Pilkington bought out the original FC windshield manufacturer, so these are the real deal, just like the originals. Given the unicorn rarity of these windshields, and the chances that a stone may, at some point, cause the demise of said rare windshield, I ordered two (2) so I'd have one on the shelf.

On our way north, we stopped to look at a very affordable truck "Service Body" that I had found on Craigslist just a few days before I left. $450 snagged me this heavy mutha'; I just need to make a return trip to pick it up. It'll hold all of our camping/expedition gear, and with some modifications/enhancements, give us sleeping quarters.

It's a "narrow body" dually bed—only 90" wide. The outside track of my chassis cab Dana 80 is 92.2", so with some small custom flares, it'll be a great width for my truck without being ridiculously wide.

The passenger rear corner, at one time, supported a boom of some sort. It's HEAVY-duty construction. The plate on top is ~3/8" thick. I may mount a small, detachable manual crane back there (for lifting heavy parts) because—well—the last 15 years establish that it happens on a semi-regular basis.

A couple of the doors are dented, but this doesn't affect the usability. I'll be able to either straighten them, or rebuild replacements.

Several of the storage compartments have shallow drawers on slides. I'm not sure yet how we'll use these drawers, but we'll certainly figure it out! It also has shallow (4-5" deep) "top-sider" storage (under the black diamond plate lids) on both sides.

One of the front doors accesses a "pass-through" tunnel that spans the width of the bed (you can see this tunnel on the front of the bed). This originally held one of the tanks for a torch set. I have a couple ideas as to how we'll use the space. More to come.

We're not sure how much of the original overhead rack we'll keep as-is, but we'll certainly re-use any of the steel we remove. I do like that it has built-in ratchet straps, too!

Fast-forward a couple days, and while we're driving in Munising, Michigan, I saw none other than Roam Automotive's infamous "Forward Frank" pulling into a gas station. We whipped in, and I proceeded to meet & talk with Tom, one of the Roam co-owners and an all-around great guy.

If you haven't heard/read about the Forward Frank build, you must do so HERE on the Roam Automotive website.

On the return trip home, we stopped by the Roam Automotive headquarters and met TJ, the other (equally cool) co-owner, and got a shop tour. Oh, and we brought some Roam bits back home with us, too.

But THIS is what our week was really about...

Miner's Falls, Munising, Michigan

Evening dinner date & walk in Houghton, Michigan

Quincy Mine tour (Hancock, Michigan)

Lake Superior at Presque Isle
    Last edited by 1x1_Speed_Craig; 08-15-2015 at 08:55 AM.

Some well deserved soul building. Sometimes ya gotta find center again. The fact your jeep got some too is a bonus.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast