Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube Watch us on Google+
Register
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Modlendingen View Post
    Cool Jeep, is it a Cherokee your daughters car?? :)
    Yes, both of my girls have their own 2-door XJs (Mira's is a '97, and her 12-year-old sister Maeve's is a 2000). Both girls are actively participating in the builds, paying for half themselves, etc.

2. Default

Big thanks to my friend Kyle Jfor letting me swing by yesterday morning and sandblast my engine crossmember. While I'm modifying this thing to fit mid-frame, it'll be much easier to deal with clean vs. rusty & greasy.

I also received my Destroked Cummins engine mounts yesterday...impressive-looking stuff.

I also picked up my arm rest brackets after being sandblasted & powdercoated. They looked nice, but the gray we picked (from an online color sample) was way too blue, and didn't match the gray accent pieces on the Commander seats. I'm way too picky to leave the mismatched color, so I scuffed them, and sprayed them with some Rustoleum Hammered charcoal gray, which looks great next to the seats.

In other not-so-exciting news, I also loaded up a trailer full of scrap steel (groveling the whole time because of the ridiculously-low scrap prices), and the place looks a little less rednecky now. It feels good to have things a little more organized around here.
    Last edited by 1x1_Speed_Craig; 08-16-2015 at 04:30 AM.

3. Default

Also, if one of the moderators can move this thread to the "1950's Rat Rod Trucks" forum, I'd appreciate it. Sorry for posting my build thread in the wrong forum.

4. Default

Arrived this week...

1) Timken axle seals for the back of the knuckles (behind the unit bearings), and also where the shafts enter the axle tubes on the housing.
    2) Shiny nuts. These M12 grade-10, zinc-coated flange nuts are for the coil spring seats. I didn't like the nylock ones I bought before, and will replace them with these.
    Last edited by 1x1_Speed_Craig; 08-16-2015 at 04:30 AM.

5. Default

I got the custom Saddle Brown leather arm rest covers installed. It took about 30-45 minutes each...well worth the effort! I'm really pleased with how they turned out.

Next up...custom sun visor covers in the same-color leather.

Last edited by 1x1_Speed_Craig; 08-16-2015 at 04:31 AM.

6. Default

I got the wiring harness removed (and labeled), along with the heater lines. The Cummins engine is looking leaner & meaner.

Warn also sent me this "I'm sorry our packaging on your last order sucked" package (Winch Accessory Kit, P/N 88900), which I received today. I'm thoroughly impressed! It's a $175 value. Did I mention I'm impressed? It'll be great for the "expedition" theme of the FC.

Last edited by 1x1_Speed_Craig; 08-16-2015 at 04:31 AM.

superior montana on 1.25 acres out of town

Warn does stand by a warranty and sounds like great PR.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by 23dodges10 View Post
    Warn does stand by a warranty and sounds like great PR.
    Agreed!

Does Buffalo Bill ("Silence of the Lambs") come to mind? The 3rd-row Jeep Commander seats have been de-skinned for donor leather that'll be used for other FC cab accents (sun visors, grab bar wrap, etc.). For the $65 I paid for this set of seats, there is lots of nice leather there.

The 3rd-row Jeep Commander seats also have these slick, spring-loaded, cable-actuated headrest brackets (used to automatically fold the headrest forward/down when the seats fold). In the spirit of rat rod ingenuity, I think I'll reuse these for some quick-access in-floor storage compartments.

Here are my naked FC170 sun visors. I used some 2-part epoxy to make them a little more rigid where the fiber board meets the metal hanger. I'll repaint the mounts with charcoal gray, and have my co-worker make leather covers for the visors.

Thoughts about using the "JEEP" font on the front of the cab as a cutout in my leather sun visors? The leather color would be Saddle Brown (matching seats/arm rests) with a charcoal gray leather "JEEP" cutout/insert. I like the idea.

Another 47RH 4WD transmission just happened to be available very close to Bell's Brewing, where we were heading yesterday anyway to meet some good friends for lunch & beverages. Why *wouldn't* I haul it home with me?!? It only has 145K miles, but does need a rebuild (clutches)...it was very affordable, though.

Twinsies.
    Last edited by 1x1_Speed_Craig; 08-16-2015 at 04:33 AM.

superior montana on 1.25 acres out of town

Leather looks good! Though I am more "Joe Dirt" than "Silence" fan . Dang...

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by 23dodges10 View Post
    Leather looks good! Though I am more "Joe Dirt" than "Silence" fan . Dang...
    Me too, actually.

The remnants of my (rough) former "Dan's Snowplowing" FC170 are almost gone, but the parts shall live on. I got both cab corners cut off tonight, and shelved for future patch panels for my lowers, shall I choose to replace them (I probably will). I don't need *nearly* this much sheet metal, but saved plenty just in case.

WARNING: Graphic images. My 2008 Super Duty frame is now NAKED...devoid of all superfluous body mount brackets. Yes, I've been productive this morning. I primered all these spots after taking the pics, BTW.
    #nakedframe #thegrinderismybitch

Last edited by 1x1_Speed_Craig; 08-16-2015 at 04:34 AM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast