Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube Watch us on Google+
Register
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Default "Albert" -- 1949 AD, S10 Chassis

I start this project in late 2013 and I'm not just getting serious about it and organizing my pics for a build thread. I thought I would share it here since I've found so much valuable information on this site. Itís been slow going but Iíve managed to keep a fairly steady pace. My plans are to put a 1949 AD on an S10 Chassis. This is a project I've wanted to do for a while. I owned a 1952 Chevy for about a year but sold it in early 2013 and I'm now using the funds from that sale to get this project done.

Back in June 2013 I picked up a 1949 Chevy 1 Ton Stake Bed truck with the intentions of using only the sheet metal. It was non-running. The motor was missing the head and it was locked up. The last Missouri state inspection sticker was dated 1972. It had, as I was told, spent most of its life in a barn or covered shed. It was the most solid truck I had come across in my price range. It doesn't need any floors but could use some patching where the kick panels meet the toe boards. Each of the cab corners are just starting to rust though. There's not much left of the interior but I plan to redo all of that anyways. I ended up giving $1,200 for it and the guy included delivery which was 110 miles to my house. I donít plan on doing anything to the exterior of the truck; I like the patina and the painted doors. I would like to do the interior really nice and dress out the engine compartment. But, for now, my objective is to get a solid running, driving, mechanically sound and completed roadworthy truck, then go back and do the interior and under hood.

Here are some pictures when I went to look at ďAlbertĒ.

Here are some pics of Albert being delivered. I was a little nerve wracking getting it off the trailer since it didnít have any brakes and I didnít wanting it plowing through my neighborís fence. I hooked a safety chain on it to stop it from running away and also laid down a couple railroad ties. It stopped on the first tie.

My 49 AD Build -- Thread -- Pictures

A couple pics of my previously owned 52 Chevy: 1952 Chevy

I have located some bed parts. The first bed I bought was converted into a trailer and I gave $200 for it. The fenders were pretty beat-up; apparently they used it in some sort of figure 8 demo-derby type of race. I stripped the trailer down and sold the trailer for $50 and the bed sides for $150 and got my $200 back. What I was left with was the front panel and a GMC tailgate. I picked up some decent bedsides, so-so fenders, three running boards, and four running board to bed filler pieces for $100. I also picked up a decent rear bumper and bumper brackets for $75. Iím going to try and match the patina of the truck on the bed and rear fenders. Only pics I have are of the old POS trailer and bed sides I sold off. The other parts arenít much to look at either but theyíll do for now.

Just before I bought the 49 I had seen a complete S10 with a bad 4.3 advertised. It was still for sale after I had bought the 49. I ended up getting the S10 for $600. I did have to pay $100 for a tow truck since I wanted to get it that night and I didn’t have a means to haul it. Since I've bought the S10 I've pretty much parted out what I don't need. I sold the bed, camper, front clip, doors, cab, steering column, and rear end totaling to $750. About all I kept were the chassis, transmission, and the wheels and tires.

nice man, look forward to seeing it come together.

Quote Originally Posted by snipes View Post
    nice man, look forward to seeing it come together.
    Thanks, just hope you're patient!

The S10 chassis has been stripped down and all the parts I didnít need got sold off. I pressure washed it; wire wheeled the front half then coated with Ospho. I donít plan on doing any painting yet, I want to reach the goal of having a running driving truck then go back and do the cosmetic stuff.

The rear 2-wd rear end has been swapped out with a 4-wd rear end to get the wider track width. The rear end came out of a 2000 Oldsmobile Bravada with the production codes GT4 G80. It's a disk brake, 3:73 gear with limited slip. I went ahead and removed the cover and drained it, washed it out with brake clean, and installed new axle seals, and filled it with fresh gear oil. I installed new dust shields, rotors, and pads.

I’ve also learned that a Ford 8.8 in. rear end which is common in Explores has a track width very close to a 4-wd S10 rear end. They even have nearly the same spring saddle width and they are practically a drop in other than needing some conversion u-joints. I’ve seen this conversion discussed on several S10 forums. If my rear end doesn’t hold up in the long run, I’ll probably swap it out to a stronger Ford 8.8 in.

The rear end for now has 3 in. drop blocks. Beware, don’t mess with the Beltech drop block set or other manufactures drop block sets for the S10, they don’t come with the right u-bolts 1) they are too wide and 2) they are a smaller diameter rod than stock. I had u-bolts bent at a leaf spring shop of the correct diameter and dimensions. Jagsthatrun.com are the only one that I know of that include the correct size u-bolts, which I wish I knew beforehand.

Hussy, good job amd nice ol'Chevy truck.. iv been working on my 51 1/2 T sb. Its in here under the name My 51 Chevy Pics. Keep going and post pictures.

Thanks, looks like you got a good project comming along.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast