Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube Watch us on Google+
Register

Default Today in Rat/Hot Rod hunting history

Post up your stories and photos of how you found your projects or complete running rods. Maybe you just found an amazing barn find or solid Model A. I know there are some good ones out there. Share them here.

I'll start. I was searching the Rat Rods on the local CL and found a 48 ford truck that looked interesting. Well went to look at it and came home with a 70 VW Bus instead. Funny how you end up with stuff.

I'm also hoping to score some VW Bug bodies to build my first Volksrod soon. Will update on that one hopefully when I buy them.

I had a random guy smelling like alcohol come stumbling into my shop and asked if I knew anyone looking for a Model A. Went over and checked it out, a 29 Tudor that he tore apart while a senior in high school in 1968 and never put back together. We offered him $400 and he took it. Since my old man paid the money he took all the body parts and I built my car from the original chassis.

Dam n thats a score and a half!!!

in 2013 early summer, my brother decides to pull up the '52 GMC from out back and start turning it into his own rat... that gets me thinking. He is a bad influence that way. I start scouring through CL trying to find the right project for me, but nothing really hit me. On a Thursday in August while on my lunch break I Come across what was labeled as a '32 Hudson. 4 dr, all 4 are suicide, sitting on a model A frame with 8" Ford axle and independent setup up front, beat up grill shell and radiator, front fenders, hood, and bench seat for $1500 down in Tulsa OK. This car got the gears grinding. I talked to a couple of car guys at work to get their opinion, of course they say go for it. I ended up calling the seller about the car and decided I need it. Around 3pm, I told my boss I had to leave to go get this car. I had already missed out on another project and didn't want this to happen again. All he said was bring doughnuts in the morning. I stopped by the bank and 3 hours later the car was mine. Got back home around midnight.

The story of the car was that it had been sand blasted and primered and sat inside storage for the last 30 years. There wasn't any surface rust on it when I picked it up. The rust is slowly coming through and I like that aspect. Mother nature is working right before my eyes. Here it is in Tulsa ready to head home.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130822_195349.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	134.2 KB 
ID:	129662

Quote Originally Posted by 82gpx View Post
    I had a random guy smelling like alcohol come stumbling into my shop and asked if I knew anyone looking for a Model A. Went over and checked it out, a 29 Tudor that he tore apart while a senior in high school in 1968 and never put back together. We offered him $400 and he took it. Since my old man paid the money he took all the body parts and I built my car from the original chassis.
    That is awesome. You have to love it when these things just fall in your lap cause they are far and few between

superior montana on 1.25 acres out of town

My 23 Dodge touring car was found on the edge of a steep bank at the end of a field. In about 1979, my brother and I were hunting pheasant and saw some old fenders and other stuff in the brush over a bank. I climbed down and found what I thought was a T-Bucket tub and also dragged up a pair of 30's vintage International truck front fenders. We hauled it home in the trunk of my brothers 61 Chevy Biscayne. I sanded and primed it, then noticed the bottom edge of where rear doors came in. (it also explained the handle on the back of the tub.) Dad told me it had to be a Dodge as there was a DB on it. Remembering an old dump site at the edge of Dad's property line I looked and found Dodge fenders, doors and the rear section of a touring car tub. It fit up with the front half of the 23 perfect! The hacksawed joints matched up. The 2 pieces of car were about 4 miles apart. The area was farmed by a pretty big family back in the 30's and 40's so junk got left where it was handy. I put the 2 halves together and set it up on a Datsun pickup frame for looks. I graduated high school in 81 and was married in 82. Life, work,kids and it was always on my mind and numerous guys tried to buy it. Dad eventually needed the Datsun frame, so over in the tansy weeds it was thrown. It only had 1 scrape where Dad hit it with plowing snow. Fast forward to 2006? and I felt the need to get it to my house in Montana. The rest is history

I acquired a future project '70 chev 1/2 ton that was left abandoned in an old gold mine in Atlantic City, WY. A friend who trapped fur up there told me the owner of the mine wanted to start mining again. He said if I could get it out of there the next day I could have it. Trouble was, it was last year during a blizzard, down an unplowed, mile long, two track path with a couple of water crossings. It took a couple of 4x4's and a full day, but I got it home.

Driving across 80 in nevada, spotted some rusty tin in the brush. Had space in the truck so brought home what was pieces of a 29 nash coupe that had rolled, cut off the top and and added steel inside the shell. still need to make doors

Was at a farm auction looking at some antique tractors, when they finished the tractors they started selling a row of trucks. I bought the first one (a '41 chev 1/2 ton) for my opening bid of $100. I guess everybody was there for the tractors.