Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube Watch us on Google+
Register
Page 3 of 7 First 12345 ... Last

Thread: Hemi Hype?

Just a few thoughts:

Hemi builder or complete engines are relatively expensive simply based on supply and demand. There are not a lot of them around and there are any number of people who would like one.

Building an early Hemi is an expensive proposition again supply and demand. There are basically only 2 or 3 suppliers of early Hemi parts, and the production runs on parts are relatively small so the parts are high.

As far as preformance, the early Hemi needs to be put in the context of the times. Pick up a Motors manual from 58-59 or so and look at the HP and Torque figures of the Hemis (the charts should cover all the production years of the first generation Hemi 51-58) and compare them to similiar displacment engines in the same year.

As far as the 426, they were very detuned from the factory......most people did not leave them that way for long. They wern't unbeatable but when fine tuned (and a set of slicks and traction bars) it took a LOT of car to do it ( I was working in a Chrysler Plymouth dealership 68-71).

The new Hemis are not a bad engine, but as mentioned they are not a 'true" Hemi.

The first generation (early hemi) were basically some of the best true production engines produced during the 1951-1958 time frame. With some tweeking they they could outrun about anything in their cubic inch/weight class. The 426 was little more than a de-tuned race engine produced in relatively limited numbers (seems that I read once they only produced about 10,000 426 Hemi powered street cars from 64 to 71. Both styles have a well deserved reputation of proven preformance.

The vote is still out on the new engines.....they do make decent power for their displacement (5.7/345 CI) but I tend to agree that hanging the HEMI name on an engine that doesn't have a true HEMI combustion chamber is nothing more than marketing.

To bring this all back around, as the guy who started by asking why anyone would put a vintage hemi in their ride instead of a sbc, I just bought a 58 392 chrysler hemi for $1000 that will need some work, but I think it was a good price. Thansk to all you folks for reminding me to look around in places and be a little more resourceful when looking for stuff. Hopefully the rebuild won't get out of control price-wise.

I would like to do a tunnel ram set-up 8x2 stromberg 97's for aesthetic reasons, but I think cost and maintenance issues will lead to a 2x4 holley tunnel ram set up.

i think you all need to spark up a joint and relax. lmao

Its a HEMI and thats what youre paying for now a days is the name because you can get a lot more power for half the price on almost anything else I like them as much as any real rodder but I agree that they are getting expensive so what am looking to do now is looking for ways to be diffrent with either a nailhead, cadi motor or flathead, all which you can find for significantly less or you can just be diffrent with a SBC with a crazy intake and carb combo I think you should do what works for you and your budget and not worry about what people think because any real gearhead knows money doesn't come easy when it comes to Rodz.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by portiadog View Post
    To bring this all back around, as the guy who started by asking why anyone would put a vintage hemi in their ride instead of a sbc, I just bought a 58 392 chrysler hemi for $1000 that will need some work, but I think it was a good price. Thansk to all you folks for reminding me to look around in places and be a little more resourceful when looking for stuff. Hopefully the rebuild won't get out of control price-wise.

I would like to do a tunnel ram set-up 8x2 stromberg 97's for aesthetic reasons, but I think cost and maintenance issues will lead to a 2x4 holley tunnel ram set up.
    Very nice choice and a VERY good price......sorry for getting this thread off the original topic

so i was out in my dads shop and hes working on a 97 sts cadi,...who knew it had a hemi in it. i was dumbstuck.....i guess i wasnt aware the gm used the design. anyone know of any other gm or even ford hemis?
    ________
    PROPERTY FOR SALE PATTAYA THAILAND
    Last edited by cadillacoffin; 08-25-2011 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chuddly View Post
    and yes i do find the "Rumble Bee" thing annoying....its like were a bunch of 3 yr olds that need a cartoon and snazzy name to like it.
    i have always been a chevy and g.m. man ... that being said ,i once had a chance to flog a friends 426 dual quad hemi charger ...and i am here to say those hemis are something to experience! but no i wouldnt be spending 8 to 10,000 dollars for an engine

I Think Were All Missing The Point Here. Were All Here To Have Fun And Get Opinions.. And Yet Half Of Us Are Willing To Fight Over This. I Have A 70 Dodge Challenger. Im Installing A 526 Mopar Performance Crate Motor-13,500.00. Im Also Building A 29 Model A Rat Truck, Sbc Vortec 355 Built To The Hilt With A 625in Lift Roller Cam.-3000,00 Done. These Are Meant To Be Budget Rods, And By That I Mean Cheap And Basic. Whats Cheap And Basic About A Hemi Or A Flattie? Nothing, Flatties Are Scarce, Overheat, Hard To Find, Hemis Are Expensive And Harder To Find! They Just Cost Too Much To Reproduce. I Think The Problem Is Everyone Is Trying To Mimick The Origional Traditional Hot Rods, But The Parts Are Nearly Soaked All Up, Meaning, Very Hard To Find.;) In Todays Day And Age We Must Use Whats Dependable And Easy Enough To Find. I See Four And Six Cylinders In Peoples Cars All The Time At Shows (rat Rods) And I Happen To Like Those Too!! Who Cares What Motor Someone Likes Or Dislikes,were All Getting There Using Gas Right? We Need To Find Something Better To Do Than Argue.

Default Hemi

I have to throw in my 2 cents in here. There are alot of cool looking engines out there, but there is something about a old hemi that just looks right sitting in the frame rails. Would I spend 5 g's on one, no. I am fortunate enough to live in the middle of know where and have a sharp eye. I found my 270 super red ram at a scrap iron yard. It had just been cut out of a old dodge grain truck and was about to be loaded into a rail car to be recycled into harbor freight tools. I got it cheap as they had no clue what it was, it was just scrap metal to them. But I have been looking for one for around 30 years. I am getting it close to firing it up, if it runs and doesn't knock, rattle or fog mosquitoes I am going to run it as is, if not it will go to the highest bidder to finance the rest of the build of my 36 dodge panel. In collecting parts for the panel I have a extra 36 dodge cab that I bought for the frame and fenders for the panel. I also had a rusty 73 Mercedes 220 with a good running drive train. I picked up a 1928 henney funeral car frame, set the Mercedes engine in and threw on the spare 36 cab. It looks right to. The 4 cyl mercedes engine mimics the looks of the tricked out A and T engines of the day with overhead valve conversions and I have zero dollars in the driveline as I sold the leftover car and parts for more than I had in it. It has a alunimun head, vavle covers, engine mounts, oil pan and front timing cover. I also have a old BMW slant 4 cyl that would look right too. The spirit of the old school builders was to use what you had available and make it work for the least amount of $$$.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	36 panel 270 hemi.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	353.7 KB 
ID:	85276   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1927 henney frame pic 1.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	306.9 KB 
ID:	85277  

Why run a hemi? Same question as why run a hotrod, or a 57 Chevy when you could have a different car a lot cheaper. Why not just drive a 99 Grand Am with duct tape holding the bumper cover on?
    And a hemi doesn't have to cost a lot, you just have to look harder for one. Ebay isn't the last word in prices.

Page 3 of 7 First 12345 ... Last