Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube Watch us on Google+
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Default 1937 dodge pickup build (slow going)

Hello everyone, New guy here from Springfield, MO!

Since a young age I have always admired rat rods / traditional hot rods, but always thought to myself "man I can't build a car... that's too much!"

Well, About 8 years ago I got into building custom bobbers, bought a welder and learned how to use it, and started building wilder and crazier bikes.
    Eventually I started building bikes for customers, But while doing that, on deadlines and working a 48hr a week job as well... I quickly got burnt out on bikes.

I saw a nice traditional hotrod pickup cruising and thought to myself "You know... I havent thought about it in years, But now that I have all of this fabrication experience... I could totally build something like that!"
    and then it began... I knew I wanted a pickup, so I went and looked at several before settling.

I picked up a 37 dodge cab for 300.00. In overall decent shape.
    The owner knew the history on the truck, It was used as a delivery truck in his home town of Thayer, MO for a small scale machine shop, I really loved that he knew the history, and the fact that the truck still had the sign on the driver door. So I was hooked.

I've never built a hot rod before, and never really messed with a pushrod engine. So this is a learning experience every step of the way... But I'm having a BLAST doing it!

First thing I did when I got it home was brace it, and chop the roof off, Cutting out 4" and throwing it back together. Have a long way to go, But it is getting there.

2. Default

Picked up an 86 mazda b2000 to use the frame from for cheap.

3. Default

And found a bed to would be workable, picked it up for 200.00 in trailer form.

4. Default

Picked up an axle

5. Default

Then an old international tractor grill, Started kinda mocking up to get an idea of what I wanted

Nice build idea! I'm doing a 41 GMC on an Isuzu chassis and it'll have a similar look. What I really like about yours is the tractor grill. I found one from an Allis-Chalmers that I'm using on mine. I'll keep an eye on your build thread! Keep the pictures coming.
    Brademan

If I like it, I'll build one!

Default 37 Dodge Truck

Hey Man, I thought I would send you a photo of a 37 dodge I done a few years back. It was really really ruff. Good Luck!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1937 Dodge ! 004.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	119.4 KB 
ID:	96807   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1937 Dodge ! 005.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	96808   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1937 Dodge ! 001.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	81.7 KB 
ID:	96809  

I did a '41 Dodge pickup on a '87 Mazda pu chassis so I know you're on the right track. I kept the Mazda mechanicals and electrics and wound up with a extremely driveable work truck that people would just stare at and wonder. Gas mileage was great, too. It also looked great out in front of my business. Elapsed time for the build was in months, not years. Don

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by 49panrider View Post
    Hey Man, I thought I would send you a photo of a 37 dodge I done a few years back. It was really really ruff. Good Luck!!

I could only wish to have started with that much! All I had was my cab...lol

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Dynodon1957 View Post
    I did a '41 Dodge pickup on a '87 Mazda pu chassis so I know you're on the right track. I kept the Mazda mechanicals and electrics and wound up with a extremely driveable work truck that people would just stare at and wonder. Gas mileage was great, too. It also looked great out in front of my business. Elapsed time for the build was in months, not years. Don

Very cool, Do you have any pictures?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last